R.I.P. My PS3 (2011-2013)

Options
lacquer_head
lacquer_head Posts: 49 Member
PS3! We barely knew ye! Last Friday night, I picked up The Last of Us on its launch day. Saturday morning, I left the state, for vacation. Came back yesterday, played for 10 mins, up until the screen froze, and it never turned back on after I reset it. WHY?! After waiting for this game all this time, its just sitting on my desk unused, looking at me... taunting... I didn't think it would have died so soon. If anyone needs me, i'll be in my room, mourning. I may never recover.

Replies

• liz2512
    liz2512 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    not sure if this would apply in your case but my husband said there was a system update that's bricking some peoples ps3. supposed to be a small percent but a fix is coming out the 27th I think.
  • lacquer_head
    lacquer_head Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    not sure if this would apply in your case but my husband said there was a system update that's bricking some peoples ps3. supposed to be a small percent but a fix is coming out the 27th I think.

I did read about that, but my symptoms were different and I smelled burning... I can't even get it to boot back up at all.
  • stephenszymanski
    stephenszymanski Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Contact PS support... they may be able to help you out.
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Aw, that sucks. :(

I'm surprised my launch 60gb PS3 is still rocking after all the play it got.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    When PS4 comes out the price on the PS3 should drop. It might not be a big financial burden to get a used one when that happens.
  • PosterPens
    PosterPens Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    i downloaded it from the psn store, and mid-way, my ps3 restarted and all i saw were metallicized pixels. it corrupted my harddrive somehow. you are not alone...

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Technical-Questions/bd-p/34179
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    See if you have a gadget guru in your area. For $35, they see what the problem is and depending on the problem, they can fix it. I helped a friend out and paid $80 for his to get fixed. Google "PS3 Fix in (your city and state)". Last of Us is worth it!
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    This was not something I wanted to read so early in the morning :(
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    When it comes on does it flash a yellow light and then turn off? This is what is called the Yellow Light of Death (YLOD) and is a hardware malfunction in the earlier versions of the ps3. The more powerful game you are running (which TLOU is) the more likely it is to happen. How much ventilation you have also plays a factor. Basically the cooling system is inadequate and it gets so hot the bonding that connects I believe the CPU and GPU breaks down and they separate.

There is a DIY fix if you have a heat gun, I did when mine broke. It actually worked like new for a few months and then it broke again so I just bought a new ps3.