Big Sur Marathon (full)

dorianaldyn
dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
I completed my first marathon 5/19/13 and I'm registered for another 9/29/13. I'm considering registering for the Big Sur Marathon (takes place spring 2014), but I'll have to register for it before running my second marathon because it sells out FAST (registration opens in just a couple of weeks). I've been reading lots of blog posts, etc., by people that have finished it and they all resoundingly say it's an amazing race to run & should be on the bucket list of any marathoner. Now, people that attempted and didn't finish aren't out blogging about it (at least that I've seen), so I know my research sample is skewed! Has anyone on here done Big Sur? Is it as crazy hard as I imagine it being?! I'm leaning toward registering, but I will admit I'm incredibly intimidated by it.

I did the Big Sur Half last fall, but that is run on a completely different course; it's the full that intimidates me.

Replies

• Culley34
    Culley34 Posts: 224
    OMG DO IT DO IT DO IT.

If I could run any marathon... it would def. be Big Sur.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Big Sur would be awesome. I'd just say enjoy the experience and don't expect a PR...but don't be afraid of it.
  • dorianaldyn
    Well... I booked my family a hotel room for the night before... figuring that the best hotels will fill up once people are actually able to register ~ and with a hotel, I can just cancel my reservation if for some reason I don't end up signing up.
  • jjhenry5
    jjhenry5 Posts: 80 Member
    Do it. It was amazing. Extremely beautiful course. I was lucky the year I did it as there was little wind and the coastal fog lifted really early so it was clear the whole way.

Do some hill training and you will be fine. The big hills are all at the front of the course so the ones on the back half don't seem so bad.
  • barrpc
    barrpc Posts: 96
    I did it this year and even with my messed up piriformis I was able to complete it. It is an incredilble race and Monterey is a beautiful town. Everyone there was so friendly I felt like I was at home. It sold out in 3 days last time so get it in and make sure to book your hotel as soon as possible. I almost did not get a room and I looked 4 months out. Hotel Pacific was awesome. I had a fireplace in my room and ambience was great for relaxing after the race. DO IT!!!!
  • dorianaldyn
    I did it this year and even with my messed up piriformis I was able to complete it. It is an incredilble race and Monterey is a beautiful town. Everyone there was so friendly I felt like I was at home. It sold out in 3 days last time so get it in and make sure to book your hotel as soon as possible. I almost did not get a room and I looked 4 months out. Hotel Pacific was awesome. I had a fireplace in my room and ambience was great for relaxing after the race. DO IT!!!!

I already booked a room at Hotel Pacific just in case I register. That's where we stayed for the Big Sur Half - great location and they allow dogs :-). I probably will end up registering. Everyone that does this race seems to rave about it and I'm not getting any younger, so if I'm going to do it, the time seems to be now. I'm just nervous about it!
  • ctflgirl
    ctflgirl Posts: 3 Member
    You have to do it! I ran it this year and it was such a great, memorable experience. It was my second marathon and unfortunately, I did not do any hill training (live in Florida). If I had, I know I would have finished faster. As it was, my running buddy and I took our time with it, soaked in the beautiful views, took pictures, walked up to Hurricane Point and still finished it. I wasn't worried about my time, I just wanted to do it and finish it.

If you do decide to do it, be sure to be in front of your computer when registration opens. It sold out quickly- I predict it will sell out faster this time.
  • dorianaldyn

If you do decide to do it, be sure to be in front of your computer when registration opens. It sold out quickly- I predict it will sell out faster this time.

The registration opening is already on my calendar and I fully expect to delay my family that morning as I sit at home and attempt to register, crossing my fingers that active.com doesn't have any glitches in their system!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    I ran it as my first marathon and had an awesome time. My year it was an out-and-back, so if you get to run the full point-to-point course you will have a truly memorable experience! Here's my recap of the race:

http://mungerruns.blogspot.com/2011/05/race-report-big-sur-international.html
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    It's a good race!

We stayed at the Embassy.

Don't be fooled by the "mile only" old elevation chart, the course rolls a ton (lots of ups in the downs and downs in the ups). Not sure if they've updated it or not.

Here's my old race report from a site I used to post at:

http://www.kickrunners.com/t/50678/big-sur-marathon-care-for-some-howling-headwinds-to-go-with-those-endless-hills
  • dorianaldyn
    I ran it as my first marathon and had an awesome time. My year it was an out-and-back, so if you get to run the full point-to-point course you will have a truly memorable experience! Here's my recap of the race:

http://mungerruns.blogspot.com/2011/05/race-report-big-sur-international.html

Thanks for the link to the blog post! I'm hopeful that it will be point to point this year, but a lot can happen between now and April, so you never know.