Apple Watch Steps - Circular Logic?

Options
ebouchie
ebouchie Posts: 124 Member
I know that MFP does not integrate directly with the Apple Watch and that it actually writes and reads to the Health Kit. But lately I am seeing a much higher step count in both MFP and Health Kit than what is in my Activity feed on the watch. I have checked all my settings and show the following:
- MFP Steps = Apple Watch is checked but it actually says that it is tracking steps from the iPhone and the Apple Watch
- iPhone Privacy setting - Motion & Fitness = My Fitness Pal and Health Kit are on
- Health Kit app = "allow MFP to read data" for steps is on.

What's odd is that the steps are not double but more like 1/4 to 1/2 higher.

Sometimes I walk carrying my phone and sometimes without. What I think is happening is that when I carry my phone and walk it is counting the steps from my phone as well as my watch (which is feeding health kit)

Has anyone else figured out how to resolve? I don't like it because it makes my calorie burn in MFP artificially higher

Thanks

Replies

• LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    ebouchie wrote: »
    I know that MFP does not integrate directly with the Apple Watch and that it actually writes and reads to the Health Kit. But lately I am seeing a much higher step count in both MFP and Health Kit than what is in my Activity feed on the watch. I have checked all my settings and show the following:
    - MFP Steps = Apple Watch is checked but it actually says that it is tracking steps from the iPhone and the Apple Watch
    - iPhone Privacy setting - Motion & Fitness = My Fitness Pal and Health Kit are on
    - Health Kit app = "allow MFP to read data" for steps is on.

What's odd is that the steps are not double but more like 1/4 to 1/2 higher.

Sometimes I walk carrying my phone and sometimes without. What I think is happening is that when I carry my phone and walk it is counting the steps from my phone as well as my watch (which is feeding health kit)

Has anyone else figured out how to resolve? I don't like it because it makes my calorie burn in MFP artificially higher

Thanks

I just got a new IPhone (6s) and am seeing the same thing happening (which didn't happen with my 5s). Have you found any solutions????
  • ebouchie
    ebouchie Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It seemed to have resolved itself after the latest iOS upgrades on phone and watch. Though, it did happen the other day, once, post upgrades. I have tried everything and because it does not happen every day I am at a loss as to how to resolve. I have resorted to just deleting the walking activity from my MFP diary when it is too high. I don't want to eat those extra calories if they are not accurate.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    thanks.
  • techieflowerchild
    techieflowerchild Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I know this is an older thread but I wanted to share that this popped up for me a couple of days ago. Then it seemed to adjust overnight. I make a habit of doing an additional exercise to accompany the steps. MFP then makes the adjustment. I had to go in and correct the negative calorie adjustment setting.