DAY 6

Options
10 The Lord now chose seventy-two other disciples and sent them ahead in pairs to all the towns and places he planned to visit. 2 These were his instructions to them: “The harvest is great, but the workers are few. So pray to the Lord who is in charge of the harvest; ask him to send more workers into his fields. 3 Now go, and remember that I am sending you out as lambs among wolves. 4 Don’t take any money with you, nor a traveler’s bag, nor an extra pair of sandals. And don’t stop to greet anyone on the road.

5 “Whenever you enter someone’s home, first say, ‘May God’s peace be on this house.’ 6 If those who live there are peaceful, the blessing will stand; if they are not, the blessing will return to you. 7 Don’t move around from home to home. Stay in one place, eating and drinking what they provide. Don’t hesitate to accept hospitality, because those who work deserve their pay.

Replies

• HealthFitNow
    HealthFitNow Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    10 The Lord now chose seventy-two other disciples and sent them ahead in pairs to all the towns and places he planned to visit.

It's always better to go in twos. One can preach and the other observe. When concerns occur, two or more can gather in prayer.

2 These were his instructions to them: “The harvest is great, but the workers are few. So pray to the Lord who is in charge of the harvest; ask him to send more workers into his fields.

There are never enough workers. Even with 72 disciples, he immediately notes that the harvest is great and workers are few. The fact, too, is that the harvest is greater than we expect. Harvesting souls is a vast undertaking. This implies many more are ready to be saved than sometimes the institutional church acknowledges. We fixate on the narrow road and 'only a few of us are going to heaven' but Jesus implies that there are vast numbers ready to be saved.

3 Now go, and remember that I am sending you out as lambs among wolves.

Ah yes, get ready to be chewed up by those around you. The devil is at work and wants to undermine everything we do.

4 Don’t take any money with you, nor a traveler’s bag, nor an extra pair of sandals. And don’t stop to greet anyone on the road.

This is interesting. I believe this is more descriptive than prescriptive, i.e. Jesus is describing the specifics for the 72. I don't think he means that everyone should never travel with money or supplies, nor should they not stop on the road.
    Jesus sets the 72 up to be dependent on God providing--no being able to say, 'I provided for my own needs.' He wants them to be served by families along the way. That appears to be equally important to this task.
    And he needs the 72 to not be distracted by people along the road. Jesus has a specific mission for the 72...get the word out. Before this, we have seen Jesus say 'don't tell anyone' but now, he must accomplish a great deal in a short time.

5 “Whenever you enter someone’s home, first say, ‘May God’s peace be on this house.

The disciples bless the home, without thought of whether the recipients are deserving.

6 If those who live there are peaceful, the blessing will stand; if they are not, the blessing will return to you.

The disciples are not responsible for the recipients of the blessing. God will determine whether it works or not.

7 Don’t move around from home to home. Stay in one place, eating and drinking what they provide.

I wonder if moving around from home to home would appear to be 'begging' and demonstrating an inability to 'get along' with a household. Instead, he wants them to show stability. In addition, if the house is providing for the needs, the disciples can focus all their energies on the mission. Again, they aren't distracted by packing/unpacking.

Don’t hesitate to accept hospitality, because those who work deserve their pay.

We were talking earlier--a few days ago--about the reasonableness of pastors receiving adequate remuneration. He points out that workers deserve their pay. This affirms that pastors should be paid commensurate with the employment opportunities in the area.
    In addition, when we are serving God, it is important to be gracious and accept the donations and hospitality of God's children, who are called to do their part.

Prayer: God bless us according to your divine plan. Equip us for the mission and may we not be distracted from it. Grant us your grace and blessing that we might share the good news all the more, including celebrating the weight loss and health that comes from following in your path, and finding the self-discipline you give us. May your name be praised.
    Amen
  • kimbershep
    kimbershep Posts: 72
    Options
    OBSERVATION
    The harvest is plenty but the workers are few. This statement is very true. I've just experienced trying to work in the youth ministry at the church I'm fellowshipping at and noticed the the work is a lot; so much is needed to care for our youth and to keep up with this generation. I had no issues with getting involved however another couple, both husband and wife, wanted to work in the ministry as well but for some unknown reason...I'm thinking jealousy just as the disciples got jealous with the man who was working in the name of Jesus. They both were given a hard time. It offended me since we are supposed to be brothers and sister in Christ working on the same team with a common goal. Not only that, the harvest is plenty and the workers are few. My question to myself was, if we needed them, why were casting aside. Was this ministry exempt when the bible spoke against cliques and thinking of yourself more highly? I stopped working in that ministry...yes I "punked" out lol. I should have stood up for what I knew was right and for God's Word. However, I do not care too much for confrontation. Nevertheless, it had me dumbfounded for a minute trying to figure out why we couldn't use people who have a sincere heart for God and to do the work of God.

Lambs as wolves....this is exactly what we are living in this day in time. We will no doubt come against opposition just as they did however we must remember to stay focused, be alert and always show forth love. The disciples forgot this and wanted to retaliate against the Samaritans but we must always show love, answer with love.

I remember a statement my mom use to tell me when I was younger and never understood it until I became older, don't let your good be evil spoken of. Jesus didn't want the disciples going in these towns and offending the people so to make sure He gave them specific instructions. He also wanted them to learn that its not them but all needs are taken care of by God. If the people were happy, Jesus had a better chance of them accepting Him.

There are so many thoughts of pastors these days and how much materialistic gain they are receiving from the people of God. The view might have been distorted a little because of those who are actually doing wrong and have wrong intensions. Well, I personally believe you are to hold the man of God in high esteem, bless him, pray for him and take care of him. This is not to worship him but only to let him know constantly that he is appreciated.

APPLICATION
    In whatever job or role I decide to take on in the church, I will do it well as God will get the glory.

PRAYER
    Heavenly Father, I thank you for all that you have done. I ask that you bless all who desire to do your work. Keep us safe and lifted up. Help us to remain stedfast on your word and never allow flesh to consume us but always allow you to work through us. In Jesus' name, Amen.