dilemma

Options
So, you know the dilemma in the Apostle Paul talks about in Romans 7? doing what I don't want, not doing what I want? That's exactly where I find myself. I want to do the right thing, i.e. eat properly, exercise, take care of this temple, etc. Does anyone struggle with the spiritual aspect of all this? Wanting to do what the Lord wants, but wanting to eat what I want when I want? then feeling guilty and miserable? I really want to overcome these bad habits and I want to include the Lord in on it. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Krissy252
    Krissy252 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Recognizing the problem is the first step. I find when I keep a food journal or use my fitness pal it is eye opening how many calories I really consume. Diary why you eat what you eat and how you feel afterwards. Reflect on it. We may be Christians but there are areas of our lives where we need deliverance. And God will deliver. My church fasts every January, no sugar or red meat or pork or tv and be a blessing every day. I haven't done the entire fast but did do then I sugar before and I lost the taste for it. But what foolish thing did I do, in February I kept eating ice cream till I liked it again. My deliverance came and I didn't embrace it but went back to my old ways. Next time it comes, I am not turning back. And it will come cause God is Faithful. God bless you and have a Merry Christmas
  • RuthMike87
    RuthMike87 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am with you on that dilemma! I too have read Paul's words and thought Lord, how patient can you be with me? I get angry with myself because I do so desperately want to please Him and do what I know is right. But then I give in to the temptation and the guilt cycle continues. I agree that recognizing the problem is important. I also think that we (speaking for myself) try to do an all or nothing approach and we often fall flat after a few days or weeks.
    Ephesians 4:22-24 talks about laying aside the old self and putting on the new self. In our Sunday School class we talked about how it makes sense the put off one thing of your "old self" and replace it with one thing of your "new self" and stick with that until by God's grace you are changed in that area. Satan will always lay a trap and will put negative thoughts in our heads. Remember in this passage it talks about needing to renew our minds. So pray for God to show you one area or one temptation to put off and what to put in its place. Trust Him to give you the strength which we find in prayer and by being in His Word everyday. (That is a struggle in itself some days!)
    I know that sugar is a big struggle for me and now the Dr even said I need to cut it out for at least 30 days. But I can have fruit. So I feel God made it quite obvious where I need to start.
    How are you doing?