Hello, first post here :) From Toledo

Options
Hello everyone, I have been overweight my whole life, no one on either side of my family is naturally thin, we are are various stages of chubby. I am approaching 300lbs, I have PCOS, poly-cystic ovary syndrome and cannot conceive a baby until I lose at least 100lbs. My husband and I have been married for almost 3 years, have not used birth control our entire marriage and the Dr says it will be nearly impossible at my current weight. Even if I do get pregnant now I will have lots of complications. I also live with anxiety and depression but do not have health insurance and cannot get professional help, I self medicate with food. I recently was called 'so f*cking fat' by a complete stranger. I will be 29 next month and want to end my 20s and go into my 30s looking and feeling better about myself. I get bored VERY easily with excercise but all these fun 5ks have got me interested, like the color runs, zombie runs, mud runs etc. I want to do them now and my goal is to be able to RUN an entire one for my 30th next summer. I recently had a repetitive use shoulder injury which put me out of work and really discouraged me, I cannot afford to get proper shoes for walking much less running and cannot afford to sign up for the 5ks coming to town. I feel like I didn't have something to look forward to or motivate me or to walk without extreme pain in my hips and calves from my bad shoes. I need to change, I want to change, I keep myself busy taking care of everyone else but I need to take care of myself. ~Emmah

Replies

• mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    First, sorry for the late reply.
    Second, take a big deep breath and let it go.

You can do this. You have the motivation. You are amazing and you will get there.

Start small. Track your food intake, set some realistic goals, and tell yourself every morning that you are amazing and you are worth it and you will get there. Believe it.
    Take an honest look at what you eat and start removing the processed foods. Start adding healthy grains, vegetables, fruits. Eat more smaller meals and lean proteins.
    When you can, exercise small. Go walk around the yard. Dance to your favorite song. Anything that gets your heart rate up and gets you smiling.

Then let it build from there. You can do this, we're all here to help!
  • mandy2128
    Options
    You totally got this!!

Have you heard of couch to 5k? It may be something to help you reach your goals!

The color run is a blast. Sign up for the next one you can. A lot of people walk it! Even if you walk the entire thing... it's better than doing nothing. It will help give you motivation to keep going!
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Welcome, welcome from the Greater Cleveland area! O-H-I-O all the way, there's nothing we can't accomplish as a team, or as individuals!

Ms. mcflat29's suggestions seem to be right on the money. Just make sure to include your doc in your plans, and feel free to turn to your friends, family, or heck, even (and especially) your MFP friends for support. Keep the faith, and you will prevail!

Again, welcome, and be proud in your resolve, you've got this!
  • melaniefave41
    melaniefave41 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Greetings from Defiance and welcome to MFP! I understand where you're coming from with the fertility issues and pre-exisitng medical conditions, as well as lack of funds. It does add an extra challenge, but the effort is SO worth it. I started my journey about the same as you, was coming up on my 31st birthday and just wanted to make some major changes in my life. Best wishes to you, I'll send you a friend request.....my food diary is open and I'm pretty active on here. = )
  • mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    The color run is a blast. Sign up for the next one you can. A lot of people walk it! Even if you walk the entire thing... it's better than doing nothing. It will help give you motivation to keep going!

Did the Run or Dye in Perrysburg. First 5k, first dyed event, and so much fun. I walked the whole thing at a fast pace. I'm not allowed to run with my knee problems. I was on a huge high the rest of the day. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

And, yes, definitely consult your doctor!