Laundering Running Gear

Options
dewd2
dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
How do you wash your clothes? I have had issues with running shirts becoming smellier and smellier over multiple runs/washes. I finally decided to look up what was happening and I discovered I am doing almost everything wrong. I never allow my clothes to completely dry after a run (they just go in the basket until I wash them a few days later), I use fabric softener and I dry them in a dryer. Apparently all of this is wrong.

I did some research and found several detergents made for synthetic fabrics. I also found some 'home remedies' that include vinegar and baking soda. What do you use?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I am a very sweaty runner.
    What I do -
    I hang my clothes to dry after a run. Nothing fancy, just lay them across the hamper or something so they don't end up bundled up while wet.
    Then when I do wash them, I add about 1/4 cup of vinegar and laundry detergent. No fabric softener.
    I do not put them in the dryer, I hang to dry but if I had something that went in the dryer, I would not use a fabric softener sheet.

I do sometimes use those new scent beads but i checked and they should not interefer with wicking.

But yeah, you are doing pretty much everything wrong, lol. I used to be bad for leaving my clothes balled up while sweaty. I found a huge difference just changing that. And I find the vinegar helps.
    The fabric softener helps trap the smell and affects the wicking ability. Dryer will break down the elastic/stretchy material in the garments (if you have any, you may not).
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I now pre-soak all my running clothes (and heart rate monitor strap) for 30 minutes in vinegar (I add about 2 cups to warm water in the washing machine - no soap) before doing a regular wash and it has made all the difference. I don't need to do it every time, just every month or so.
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    Mine frequently stay wet until the weekly load of laundry because hanging sweaty clothes just makes the house smell sweaty and there's no way I'm hand-washing that stuff on the daily. When we do wash it, it's just normal detergent + a splash of vinegar (someone on this board told me about the vinegar!) and then hang dry.
  • dewd2
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I'm going to try a vinegar prewash this weekend. I also ordered a couple "sport" detergents from Amazon to try out (WIN Sports and Sports Suds). Yesterday I hung my sweaty clothes on the edge of the basket when I got home. Unfortunately there's not much I can do for a few hours while my clothes sit in my gym bag after my lunchtime runs...
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I hate the smell of my stinky running clothes, but I hate the smell of vinegar even more. Can you smell the vinegar while the clothes are washing or drying? My washer is upstairs in the main hallway, so don't want the whole house to smell like vinegar.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I hang mine to dry after each run. Then when I launder them, I use a sports detergent and wash the clothes on delicate-cold, then dry them on delicate. Because they're all moisture wicking, it really doesn't take very long to wash or dry them. I haven't had any issues with shrinking.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    We just by Tide with Febreze. Problem solved for us.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    pobalita wrote: »
    I hate the smell of my stinky running clothes, but I hate the smell of vinegar even more. Can you smell the vinegar while the clothes are washing or drying? My washer is upstairs in the main hallway, so don't want the whole house to smell like vinegar.

The only time I can smell it is when I am putting it in the washer. The smell doesn't stay with the clothes.
  • Leanz
    Leanz Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this! I couldn't stand the smell of me today while I was out there sweating!!
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I rinse my running clothes in the shower after running. They are already wet (and in the summer, dripping wet) so rinsing off the sweat (and the bacteria because that is what causes the smell) and the shaking (not wringing) the excess water off is a start. I have a place to allow them to hang to dry at work. At home, it isn't an issue (having a place). Just don't let them sit all bunched up without a way to dry. The bacteria loves the warm and moist environment.

In laundry, I use Tide Sport and Oxy-Clean. Tide Sport alone does a nice job (it has Fabreeze as part of its odor fighting formulation and has a pleasant fragrance) but the Oxy-Clean, or similar oxygen bleach, seems to finish the job and take care of most staining. That has been through experimentation and I find that it seems to work the best for me for cleaning, stains, and odor. Usually, just warm water, but occasionally get the water temperature up. Note: never use liquid laundry detergent on Gore Tex fabric. Either use a cleaner intended for breathable, waterproof fabric or use a good powdered laundry detergent with fabric softener. I don't use much Gore Tex in running, but I have a jacket I might use when the weather is really cold and wet.

I always use the gentle/delicate cycle for washing and rinsing. On my washer, the spin cycle is slower than for normal loads. So, after the cycle completes, I'll run in through the final normal "extended spin" cycle to spin out as much water before drying.

Never use fabric softener either liquid or in the form of dryer sheets for the running clothes. The wicking nature of the hi-tech fabrics gets inhibited by fabric softener (especially socks and sock liners).

Some clothes can be dried in the clothes dryer, others have to be hung to dry. Read the label.

I've done the vinegar route before. It works, but I feel like I'm missing the oil and a salad afterward.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    With the exception of my sneakers, I've never had a problem with smelly gear. I leave things balled up for a day or 2, wash with Tide free and clear (or whatever their gentle/hypoallergenic is called), dry with a dryer sheet, then fold and put away.

What detergent are you using?
  • dewd2
    Options
    I had been using 'ALL" with Downey Dryer Sheets. I've since switched to WIN and have also tried Sport Suds. No dryer sheets. So far I have noticed some improvement (no one passes out in the locker room since I switched :D ). I think the real test will be how my newer clothes smell in a couple months. I just purchased a couple pair of running pants and a couple new shirts.
  • c1ownfishie
    c1ownfishie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I always hang my clothes to dry on the hamper before throwing them in with all my other clothes. I don't usually have a problem with them making my room smell like sweat. I wash my clothes with all of my other ones and throw in a cup of Downey Unstoppables to help them smell good. I also never dry my running clothes in the drier, regardless of what the tag might say. I just feel like the drier puts a lot of wear and tear on my clothes. I've had some of my running shirts and shorts for years and they don't smell at all and still look brand new!
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

Absolutely not that is a CRIMINAL WASTE!

Just one (stupid) question - what type of vinegar, just the white stuff you can clean your windows with??? Thank you :smile:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Clarewho wrote: »

Absolutely not that is a CRIMINAL WASTE!

Just one (stupid) question - what type of vinegar, just the white stuff you can clean your windows with??? Thank you :smile:

yes :)
  • RockTex
    RockTex Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Sport Suds is the best stuff. I sweat a lot. During the summer I was soaked every day. Since I started using this stuff everything smells fresh and clean. I even leave my stuff in the washer all week to do one big load of work out stuff. It takes a few washings but will even get the stuff that already has a set-in stink back to normal.

http://www.amazon.com/Sport-Suds-Washing-Machine-Cleaner/dp/B00KQ0VV66/ref=pd_bxgy_121_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=09YJ8TH5SCGPXW0XB2FQ
  • dewd2
    Options
    I've been using several brands over the past 6 weeks and I can say for certain that they are working on my new clothes. Some of my older shirts are still stinky but I never did use the vinegar as was suggested. I may have to try that.

So far I like the WIN brand the best. Sports Suds is OK but the smell is too neutral. I also tried a brand called HEX from my local supermarket. I like it but the packaging is horrible. It makes quite a mess on my counter. I will not get that brand again.
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever try vodka in your running shoes?

http://womensrunning.competitor.com/2015/09/shoes-gear/try- this-boozy-trick-for-smell-free-running-shoes_46234
    only after a run. A large glass with ice, lemon and soda really helps me get off my *kitten* and pick them up and knock the mud off and put them to dry :wink:

• djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Tide pod and hang dry and never had an odor problem (my friends and family would definitely say something).