Question about calories

Options
macchiatto
macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
How did you set your daily calorie goals? I know we PCOSers often have slower metabolisms but going down to 1200 usually makes me want to cry. :tongue: Hoping I can get away with 1350 if I lower my carbs. (I just adjusted them to 10% C, 60% F, 30% P which is lower than I've ever gone with carbs. Hoping that will help me break out of my plateau!) And what percent, if any, of your exercise calories do you eat back?

I know this is all very individual but just wondering if 1350 is realistic for weight loss for a PCOSer. For reference, I'm 5'7", I had *finally* hit goal weight 2 years ago but regained 20 lbs after an MS med change (much of it in my belly, of course; went up 2 pants sizes) and still have 17 to lose.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I cannot speak to your specific needs, but I follow a low carb plan, too, and my macros are pretty close to yours, and while I don't have to have carbs for a medication (which I've never heard of being a requirement, just a convenience - but I also have zero experience with MS meds), I do include Kombucha (naturally fermented tea, for gut health restoration, etc. I consider myself Keto, at the higher end, rather than LCHFMP.

I'm 39 years old, about 5'4" tall, and currently weigh 245 pounds. I lose slowly on 1800 calories, give or take, daily.
  • macchiatto
    Options
    Thanks, @KnitorMiss, that's helpful! I'm also 39 btw. :)

It's not a "requirement," per se, but this med can be very hard on your stomach so the dr and most of the patients I've talked to recommend you take it with a full meal that includes carbs, fat and protein and whenever I try taking it without carbs it really bothers my stomach and also causes more problems with flushing. I take it with both breakfast and dinner and fortunately dinner seems to go OK without carbs.

I am likely switching drugs to one that causes fewer GI issues (in part b/c of the carbs/weight gain issue) but it might take a few months since specialty drugs are a PITA. ;)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I've had extreme gut/digestion issues with medication (Metformin, due to the med itself) and without, due to not having a gallbladder. Incorporating naturally fermented foods like Kombucha, sauerkraut, kimchi, kefir, etc., can really help to rebuild and restore that gut bacteria and balance. My cycle of constipation and diarrhea ended within a couple days of starting Kombucha regularly (start slowly if you try it - 2 oz. a day for a week or so the slowly adjust up). It does not work for everyone, but for me it does...very much so, but having been a carb and sugar-a-holic for far too long, I was bad to my gut health...
  • macchiatto
    Options
    OK, thank you. I've heard of kombucha but haven't really looked into it. I have a friend locally who makes it so I'll talk to her; sounds worth a try!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    OK, thank you. I've heard of kombucha but haven't really looked into it. I have a friend locally who makes it so I'll talk to her; sounds worth a try!

Homebrew is light years better than anything I've found in the stores. I started with it at the end of August and am on my second or third batch now... It's been interesting to make! Good luck.