New research shows link between PCOS and mental health

Past research has suggested that women with polycystic ovary syndrome are at greater risk for mental health problems, such as anxiety and depression. Now, a new study suggests this may be due to hormonal imbalances before birth that affect the brain.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/301822.php

Replies

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Wow! Interesting.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    That's lovely. In many ways, I guess I feel somewhat like having a finger pointed at me. Like, "You didn't get this taken care of before having a kid, so here *wham* is a present of a life-time of jacked up hormonal problems." I know that isn't what they are saying, at least not exactly, but man...that's how I'm hearing it today. Guess I need to get off the interwebs before I start taking crazy again.
  • A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    I have a daughter that displays issues with anxiety already at 8. I most certainly had PCOS while I carried her, I had many complications in my pregnancy including preeclampsia, and every time I've had my hormones tested my testosterone levels are extremely high.

The kicker here? I knew I had PCOS long before I was pregnant but didn't have a doctor willing to treat it.

Has anyone done any research on anxiety in kids? Is inositol safe for kids correct? As an 8 year old girl with a mom with PCOS seems like it might be helpful for her? Interesting side note as the earliest signs of puberty have started in the last few months her weight has also increased rapidly. I wouldn't call her fat, but she's went from being slender to not, and really without much change in her eating habits.

Does anyone know much about early signs of PCOS and prevention. I remember reading an article about a link between early puberty and PCOS. I'm one of the 'lucky' ones that's had PCOS since puberty, not someone who's developed it over time or with weight gain. I'm certainly concerned for her as well. :/
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Interesting. I wonder if pregnancy via IVF is a good enough regulation of hormones to prevent this anxiety/depression in my kids. They seem ok so far...
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    A_Dabauer wrote: »
    I have a daughter that displays issues with anxiety already at 8. I most certainly had PCOS while I carried her, I had many complications in my pregnancy including preeclampsia, and every time I've had my hormones tested my testosterone levels are extremely high.

The kicker here? I knew I had PCOS long before I was pregnant but didn't have a doctor willing to treat it.

Has anyone done any research on anxiety in kids? Is inositol safe for kids correct? As an 8 year old girl with a mom with PCOS seems like it might be helpful for her? Interesting side note as the earliest signs of puberty have started in the last few months her weight has also increased rapidly. I wouldn't call her fat, but she's went from being slender to not, and really without much change in her eating habits.

Does anyone know much about early signs of PCOS and prevention. I remember reading an article about a link between early puberty and PCOS. I'm one of the 'lucky' ones that's had PCOS since puberty, not someone who's developed it over time or with weight gain. I'm certainly concerned for her as well. :/

My daughter is 15 now, and I've been excluded from her life by her father and her choices for the last several years. She had a number of signs of this type of thing, so I forwarded a list of symptoms to her dad (since my emails to her tend to get ignored), and he made sure she and her future stepmom keep an eye out. I think that was all a year ago, or more, perhaps, but I've heard nothing else. I can't worry about it for her....

but in the case of your daughter, I would definitely start with Inositol. Since it is B8, it's made by our bodies, but generally in lower quantity than we need, I don't see how it can hurt her in any form to take it... I'd start slow, and adjust. @Dragonwolf may have more information.

Good luck!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member

Rapid, unexplained weight gain is definitely a sign of something hormonal. It could be PCOS, thyroid, or something else. Definitely worth bringing up to her doctor.

Yes, inositol is safe for kids. It's part of the B complex, so it will likely be quite beneficial to her.

Also, you might want to see about starting to adjust her diet and see about getting the sweets and heavy starches out. At least do things like switch her breakfast from cereal to steel cut oatmeal and low sugar yogurt and some avocado. Kids don't need a ton of sugar/carbs, contrary to popular belief, as long as they have enough fuel in general, and from the sound of it, she's already sensitive to them.
  • A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    Thanks for the advice ladies :) I'll discuss with her dad the best way to approach the diet issue (we've 50/50 custody so we need to have a united front on this or it's pointless) as well I want to be sensitive on the whole concept of diet/body issues. I was put on my first diet at not much older than she is now and it seriously messed with my body image for years. But that doesn't mean we can't make small changes in her diet without bringing it to her attention.

After reading this I had an age appropriate 'talk' about puberty and my PCOS so I'm hoping with a little education, and preventive maintenance we can do keep things under control.

Thanks again!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Thanks for the advice ladies :) I'll discuss with her dad the best way to approach the diet issue (we've 50/50 custody so we need to have a united front on this or it's pointless) as well I want to be sensitive on the whole concept of diet/body issues. I was put on my first diet at not much older than she is now and it seriously messed with my body image for years. But that doesn't mean we can't make small changes in her diet without bringing it to her attention.

After reading this I had an age appropriate 'talk' about puberty and my PCOS so I'm hoping with a little education, and preventive maintenance we can do keep things under control.

Thanks again!

Check out the Paleo diet and its resources. It generally promotes a healthy relationship with food and the focus is on health instead of weight loss (the weight loss generally happens, too, but it's generally considered a side effect of health).