I Need a Protective Hairstyle Really Bad

Options
ebonyroche
ebonyroche Posts: 675 Member
Hi everyone,

I am looking for a protective hairstyle for my partially active lifestyle (I sweat ALOT when I exercise). I have relaxed hair but it is breaking really bad. I was think about box, tree or crochet braids. I have never had any of these styles before and the last time I had a weave was in '93 when I was growing out my Halle Berry cut. I do workout before work so I don't have time to fuss with my hair. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Good day all

Replies

• Namaste_Mama
    Namaste_Mama Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had crochet braids about 5 years ago & loved them. I was not working out much at the time but I can imagine they would be easy to maintain if you do perspire a lot. Crochets are a versatile style that can be worn in so many designs. I had box braids long before crochets. I thought they were OK. It suited me for that time in my life.
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I was leaning toward crochets for the versatility. I have been all over YouTube and Pintrest to get info and ideas but wanted an actual person's idea. Thanks again
  • Butterfly2022MD
    Butterfly2022MD Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    as you can see i braided mine up- relieves me of the stress of it frizzing up and wigging out after a workout
  • itskday
    itskday Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would say faux locs or crochet braids. To defeat the breaking and shedding before you get your hair done I would recommend Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment (It saves your hair life) Im also a fan of Qhemet Biologic's Amla & Olive Heavy Cream to maintain moisture
  • Officially_Rosey
    Officially_Rosey Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Crochet braiding really is great. I recently took out my braids and had a lot of knots which resulted in a lot of breakage (bigger than my palm, fortunately I have thick hair so it's not noticeable. Funnily enough I used to hate the thickness of my hair, now I see it as a blessing hehe). I recently found videos by a lady on youtube called Beautycanbraid and decided to try crocheting my hair. Turned out great and since I go to the gym often (and sweat a lot) it's easy to wash my scalp between the cornrows.
  • rachellech
    rachellech Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I will definitely try the Aphogee Protein treatment. I'm natural but out of curiosity tried an at home texturizer on top of my henna treatment and it damaged and stripped my hair. I'm in the process of repairing it. I have been using the Pure Body Naturals Argan Oil Hair Mask from Amazon and natural oils (Jojoba/cocounut/rose water/shea) and my hair is improving but I will definitely add the Aphogee too. Also, since I'm always working out I'm going to try the crochet look to help me with time management in the mornings. Thanks for the advice.