Do you set fitness and nutrition goals each week?

Options
Jeaniece1
Jeaniece1 Posts: 74 Member
Good morning!

I figured I would just throw this out there to see how folks felt about goal setting and if you felt it makes any difference in your results. I purchased a fitbook a couple of weeks ago to help me out a bit and became intrigued by the goal setting section each week. So, I decided to put it to the test and see if it made any difference for me. I am noticing that it does. Each week there is a section on goals. They have three already set for you: 1) schedule workouts, 2) plan meals and 3) prep food. There is also a section for you to set workout, nutrition and any other goal you want to include for the week. The first three were the easiest for me and I was able to check them off quickly, however the goals I set for myself was a bit more of a challenge and it really took a bit of thought. At the end of each week, there is a weekly wrap up that asks for each day if I met my goals; if I earned that weeks reward? Also, there is a little journaling section where I can write down what was good and not so good about the week. If the week wasn't so good, I could reflect on setbacks and think the things I could do to improve next week. Although it hasn't been super easy to be this disciplined (I'm a rebel at heart-LOL!!) I did find that it helped me get a better picture of what was going on with my fitness and nutrition so that I could make small changes to help myself the next week. Pretty clever!! So here are my goals for this week:

1) Workout-To complete 3 weight training workouts and 3 cardio sessions (at least 30 minutes) this week and increase the number of push ups I can do from 10 to 12 by the end of the week. ( I hate pushups by the way so this was a big deal to me).

2) Nutrition-To reduce my sugar intake (goodbye to my 3 Dr. Peppers a day) and pack all of my meals the night before so I don't have to worry about it in the morning.

3) Mental- each day this week to write down one positive change that has come from my commitment to my workout and nutrition goals to help combat all the negative stuff I say during the week when I find myself missing the mark. I keep those index cards with me and glance at them when I find myself tempted by chick-fil-a or when I don't want to get up in the morning to workout. I add that goal each week and find that it is really helping me combat some of the negative self talk and its really helping me stay on track. This may sound cheesy but my note to myself this morning says- I am worth all of the hard work I am doing and am making myself stronger and healthier with each workout I complete.

Looking back at the title of this group-40 lbs by Halloween-really made me think. Ok-so that's the plan and sounds really good, but how do I get there and what things can we as a group to support in both the good and not so good weeks up until then. So group members--what are your thoughts about that? Do you set weekly nutrition and fitness goals and if so, what are they and if not, why not?

Have a great day!

Replies

• cds2001
    cds2001 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I don't always do weekly goals. Sometimes I do. I am in a few groups here on MFP and some are fitness challenge groups. So those in particular will have weekly goals to meet. Those fitness challenges can be anything from burning a certain number of calories to doing at least X number of minutes of exercise per day. Nutrition goals for me usually are to be within the ranges that MFP has set for calories, fat, protein, sodium, etc. and try to get the 8 glasses of water in each day.

When I am all in 100% I have found that taking that approach does work well for me as long as I stick with it.
  • KristiCee67
    KristiCee67 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am not setting weekly goals right now because I have a lot more flexibility in the summer to workout and plan meals. I'm a teacher. I know when school starts up again back in the fall, I'll need to more carefully shop, plan meals, and schedule my workouts. For right now, I'm just enjoying being relaxed about it all. :)
  • KristiCee67
    KristiCee67 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I purchased a fitbook a couple of weeks ago

Where did you purchase it?