Thinking about adding a metabolic circuit

Options
andylllI
andylllI Posts: 379 Member
I don't know if this is a good idea. But I'm bored and I want to lose a bit of fat. So by metabolic circuit I'm thinking 6-8 exercises alternating upper and lower body and cycling through 2-3 times. I have a set of dumbells a TRX and an Olympic barbell so I could still get lots of compound movements in there but it would be probably more like 60% of my 1RM and more reps. So mostly a cardio workout. I would replace one of my other cardio workouts with this - I know several of you do this kind of thing (kettle bell circuits etc) or combine metabolic conditioning strength moves with training for strength...do you get interference? How do you minimize it?

Replies

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I qualify to answer this but I recently started doing 1 Kettlebell HIIT workout a week. I haven't noticed any problems but my focus right now is on fat loss more than strength building. I'm still lifting but my progress has been slow. It was slow before HIIT, too because I'm eating at a deficit. I've also started to do 16:8 fast and it's all doing what I want: burn fat. But I'm not making any PRs, either.
  • andylllI
    Options
    I'm already not making PRs so no worries there!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    That's sort of the way I train.
    1. (if applicable) power/skill work
    2. Strength
    3. Circuits/conditioning

Before this insane combination of NaNoWriMo, cold, exhaustion and TOM (+ slight caloric deficit after going on a surplus for a while) over the past week, I was making very decent strength gains while keeping my weight somewhat stable (silly food...).

I am confident once I adjust to this "cycle" and recover from the metabolic havoc that was that insane combination I'll be back to it and kill it some more.

I personally would recommend simpler set-ups (max 3-4 exercises at a time) with varying goals. Ex: density (short AMRAP sets), intervals (#of timed rounds), power (short bursts with medium rest, like the EMOTM (every minute on the minute) stuff), for time (as fast as possible) and endurance (long AMRAP sets). Cycling those around will work different energy systems and will allow your CNS to recover better than, say, doing endurance work all the time.

I find the less equipment the better, and using bodyweight in there always adds a bit of Omph that ties it all together :)
  • andylllI
    Options
    I think I should just follow one of your workouts in he check in thread but I have very little idea what most of those acronyms mean.

But Google is my friend there.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    andylllI wrote: »
    I think I should just follow one of your workouts in he check in thread but I have very little idea what most of those acronyms mean.

But Google is my friend there.

Most of what I do these days is actually from a program, so it's not like I made it up myself! Feel free to use any parts of it :)

I don't thing I use that many acronyms aside from
    DB = Dumbbell
    KB = Kettlebell
    TRX = the suspension trainer
    EMOTM = every minute on the minute
    AMRAP = As many reps/rounds as possible
    RAT = Remaining amount of time

But if there is anything you want me to explain, feel free to ask (if you don't want to post in the thread, you can always PM me, too)