End of Summer/ Fall Babies - Getting back in Shape!

Options
Hi
Thought I would start this thread for anyone that has had a 'End of summer/fall/ Autumn' baby and are trying to get back get in shape.

I'm Helen, I had my second baby on 29 August (was due mid September).

I gained 21lb and now at nearly 12 weeks I have 4lb to lose until its gone BUT I'm a long way from the toned body I want plus I want to get back to my weight before my first baby (3 years old now) so I have about 10/14lb to lose in total and tone up.

I have a Fitbit Zip and making sure I walk as much as I can and trying to do Gillian Michaels X 3 per week.

Please join and comment on this thread and we can get there together!

Helen

Replies

• katiebrew
    katiebrew Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yay Helen! This was a great idea! I've missed you ladies!

I'm Katie. My second baby was born Sept 16. I lost my pregnancy weight but seem to be yo-yoing back up to prepreg weight and have found it tough to get below 146. I'd like to reach pre-preg weight from my first (138). I was hoping to be there before Christmas but I don't think that is going to happen.

I've had a poor past two weeks- we are moving and both my husband and I are starting new jobs in January so I've been eating my stressed out feelings and haven't made exercise a priority at all. Hoping to do better this week and onwards!
  • poke987
    poke987 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Alex. I had my 3rd on Sept 12th. Despite my best intention and much better overall fitness, I gained more than I did with either of my other two. Sigh. While I didn't peak over my highest overall weight, I came darn close! Having lost 60 lbs before getting pregnant it was pretty disheartening to see those numbers again! I lost about 25 lbs after the baby, but now have lots of work to do! I took a few weeks for myself, then started back on a restricted calorie diet. I'm watching it, as I don't want to mess my already poor milk supply. But dropping this weight is a high priority! I've also been setting goals, mostly walking and step counting... but increasing the exercise now! Short term goal is 165 by new year!

I was 138 prepregnancy, so that's the goal!
    I'm pretty sure I was 204 at my last appointment, but honestly I stopped really looking! Or i blocked it from my mind!
    Oct 31 when i started back on mfp I was 181.2
    Monday (9-16) I was 171

Looking forward to the support and solidarity!
  • ls8735
    ls8735 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this, Helen! My little boy (my first) was born August 10th. Right before I conceived I used MFP to help myself lose 35 pounds. I think getting healthier helped me get pregnant so quickly.

I only gained a little over 20 pounds while pregnant by continually logging. I have been lucky to have lost all that weight plus some extra because my little guy wants to nurse all the time which burns so many calories and I don't always have time to eat the best. It hasn't been too hard to stay in my calorie limit because I am dairy and soy free for my little guy so no cheese, milk, or a lot of breads and crackers. I used to eat a lot of my calories that way.

I really want to maintain my current weight and get back in shape. I walked a ton during my pregnancy but now I get a bit sore if I walk too long. Plus he wants to be carried all the time and he is at least 16 pounds now so I need to keep my arm strength up lol.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Hello! I'm Suzanne! My little guy was born on October 22. Before finding out we were pregnant I was 13 lbs into losing my excess baby weight from my previous pregnancy. I still had 15 lbs to go but had to put that goal on hold. I had gestational diabetes this pregnancy and had to watch my carbs and my weight closely. I did very well and only gained 22 lbs total and lost 16 right away. Now I am 5 lbs away from my postpartum weight and 20 lbs away from my initial weight.

Right now I'm focusing on getting myself back into the swing of things with two kids under a year and a half. (Easier said than done!) So my logging is lacking, but I am making healthy food choices and tracking my weight gains/losses so I won't lose my footing completely. :)

It's getting cold it's time of year so my outdoor exercise is lacking, but that's what we got the exercise bike for! ;)
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.
    Glad you are all doing ok. I plan on posting each week or more to keep on track.

This week I have walking 12000 steps plus each day but not managed any of my fitness DVDs as baby had decided she only sleeps for 10 mins at a time! Will aim to do sat and sun as OH should be about in the afternoons.

Suzanne- sounds like you are busy with 2 young ones.

Poke- how did all the school transitions go? Everyone settle ok? Did u get a week before baby born? Anna was born the week before Isaac started, he found the first week hard and cried each day, it got easier and he loves it now.

Helen
  • sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm Stephanie! Just had my first baby on November 8th. Before getting pregnant, I was about 282lbs and lost 71lbs using MFP. Got down to 211, and found out I was pregnant. I didn't do super well in terms of keeping in the recommended weight gain range, and gained 45lbs my whole pregnancy (baby boy was 9lbs, 1oz though!).

12 days postpartum, I've lost 20.8lbs of the 45 lbs. Been doing light activity, but probably won't get really involved with exercise until I go in for my checkup due to my sutures and still bleeding/headaches/soreness. Look forward to getting back into the swing of things with you ladies!
  • helenmelon29
    Options
    Hey Stephanie, yeah defo wait until you have the all clear. The weeks fly by. I can't hardly remember the first few weeks now!

My goals for the week:
    Record food all week
    Walk each day 10,000 plus
    3 X 30 mins dvd.

Anyone else?
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    It's so nice to keep in touch with everyone! :) how are the little ones (and mamas) sleeping these days? Jacob spends most of the night in my bed... which means he's happy, but I'm exhausted since I don't sleep as well knowing I can't roll over or whatever... but I need to sleep somehow!

Goals this week:
    Focus on nutritious eating
    Possibly sign up or an exercise class... (assuming I can work out babysitters and feeding times for the little one)
  • helenmelon29
    Options
    Hi
    Sleeping can be hit and miss. Anna sleeps in her cot in her own room and shouts when she wants fed. It Can be once a night or can be a few times. She was going to bed at 9.30/10pm and gets up at 7/7.30am but waking in between to feed but she doesn't really open her eyes so resettles quickly. This week has been settled by 8pm but then waking before 12 for first feed rather than 2ish. Isaac was an awful sleeper so anything better than him will be a plus! Lol

Today I'm recording my food.
    I should have reached 10000 steps by end of the day (on 8000 and its 3.30pm).
    I have done 10 mins dvd as Anna woke so will try again later.

Anna has her 12 week injections tomorrow so hopefully won't unsettle her.
  • poke987
    Options
    Goals for the week will be slightly modified with Thanksgiving and family visits! Had a loss this past week but expect I won't this coming one. Would like to maintain however:

Walk 2xs
    Run 2xs
    10,000 steps every day
    Stay under calorie goal 4 days, limit overages on other days by watching portions
    no snacking!

Wilson sleeps pretty well, on his own in a cosleeper next to our bed 830 or 9ish then is generally up for one feed early hours of the am but doesn't really wake, so goes right back to sleep but in bed with us. then up for the day between 5 and 6. It's working for us; I'm off to bed just after him, so not a lot of alone time with hubby, but I need the sleep!
  • helenmelon29
    Options
    Good goals Poke. I forgot it was thanksgiving. U have a big family meal at home?

Helen
  • sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Baby Owen was initially sleeping well but seems to have some congestion so he's been fussy the past few days, which is okay. He doesn't like sleeping on his back in the co-sleeper because of the congestion, so I sleep in the living room with him in his little automatic swing and that seems to work out. Breastfeeding isn't working out for me currently (I'm not producing nearly enough) so we had to bring in formula because he had lost 8% of his weight since the hospital (in 1 week). So I'm pumping/breastfeeding/formula feeding in the meantime, which is good because at least this means my husband can also attempt to calm him down with feedings and I can run errands and stuff. :p Disappointed in my production, but gotta make sure he's getting enough food. Went to the doctor today and he had gained a lot of the weight back and is closer to his birth weight now, so that's good.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    @sarieth05 that can be so disappointing with not having enough milk. Good for you taking advantage of getting your husband to do some feeds! :smiley:

It looks like Jacob is a tummy sleeper, so now I'm finally getting more sleep. I have an Angel Care monitor (which has a motion sensor to sense if he's breathing and an alarm to wake me - and him - up if he's not) so I have no worries about putting him on his tummy.

I've been trying to follow a plan called Trim Healthy Mama which has lots of gluten free, sugar free recipes for me to try and they are made with healthy, low-calorie ingredients. So far so good and I'm enjoying the food a fair bit. Not sold on the diet... but the food is decent and I'm eating well so that's good! (I have dermatitis herpetiformis caused by a gluten sensitivity.)

This Saturday I'm headed out to a Zumba fitness class! I'm super excited because I love Zumba, but the fact that I just had a baby and haven't exercised as vigorously as a zumba class demands isn't lost on me.... I will give it a good go. ☺ Classes are on Saturday mornings so that works perfectly with my husband watching the kids. I just have to remember to pump some milk!
  • helenmelon29
    Options
    Zumba sounds good. We have the Angel care monitor too, I like it (used with our son too).

Isaac has a bad cough and cold and just been coughed up a sick all over his bed! He is now changed and sorted and just trying to settle Anna. It typically happens when I'm home on my own. Thinking we going to have a rough night!! Poor Isaac has a school trip tomoz too so will have to see how he is through night and in morning.

Food going ok but only ms ages one day of DVDs so far. Done 10,000 steps each day tho
  • poke987
    Options
    I think wilson would be a tummy sleeper if allowed. Thankfully he does OK as long as he's tightly swaddled. Neither of my other boys ever like the swaddle, so this is new to me! I'd love a sleep monitor but not going to buy one now! Thinking this may be our last...

I've been okay so far this week. Ran on Monday and was under goal, walked yesterday and was over I think. Didn't exercise today but under goal. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving though. I have our family Plus 9 so 16 in total coming to the house. I know I'll go over goal, but plan to try for a run earlier in the day to off set some! I'm not going to stress too much, I'll probably go over Friday too with family here and lots of leftovers but will be back on track asap!

My new years goal is 165. Tonight my "IF every day was like today" notification was in 5 weeks I'd be 161!!! I know with the holidays that's not going to happen, but it sounds nice!

@helenmelon29 hope kids are better! I hate the pukes! Both my other little boys wet their beds last night! Ugh. Hope tonight goes ok for you!

@JustAnotherGirlSuzanne I've never done Zumba. It seems like fun, so I may try it someday.

@sarieth05 same here. I don't produce enough, so we do both! He gets all that I make, and we supplement with formula as he needs. It was the same for all my boys. With my first I was so ipset. Worked so hard to try to make it happen... It was a lot of work pumping, and very disappointing. With my second and now Wil, i dont pump. Now I love it! I get the bonding, the closeness of breastfeeding. But Dad, grandma, siblings etc. get to feed him too. And he's gaining like crazy. So everyone's happy
  • ragenhay1
    ragenhay1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    HI ladies. I had my second boy August 6th. I have about 80lbs all together to lose. Some from that pregnancy and some from my first five years ago! I'm down 18lbs so far. I have been going to the group fitness Classes at my gym Monday to Friday while my oldest is in school. My little guy goes to the daycare. I've been doing this since October. It's hard with not sleeping through the night but I have to go out in the mornings anyway to take my husband to work and my oldest to school so it just fits into my routine now. It feels great to finally work at getting in shape. I really had to do something so I can keep up with my two boys!
  • helenmelon29
    Options
    Morning
    We had an ok night Isaac slept fine, he not gone on school trip tho as it's an outside train trip all day and he defo not right.

Today's aim is not to snack too much as we in all day plus do DVD and housework. Won't get my steps in today so will try everything else!

Hey Regenhay- sounds like your doing fab with the gym. Your defo right once u up and out you might as well go.

• poke987
    Options
    @ragenhay1 I wish our YMCA took the little guys... we can't leave them until 6 months! So I'm trying to walk and run when I can. But we live on a big hill... it's up/down in either direction!

Did ok yesterday- maybe too much pie, and certainly some picking at things as I cleaned up the kitchen! But overall I was pleased with my choices. Did alright today too. Stayed away from the pie until tonight when I was sure I could "afford" it. Had leftovers for dinner but my usual egg whites and toast breakfast and salad for lunch. Have loads of stuff in my fridge despite sending guests home with some... going to be days of willpower, or happy dogs!
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Great job @poke987! I hope the 5 day forecast proves to be true! :)

@ragenhay1 nice work fitting in some time to exercise. I hear you on not aleepig through the night. Although I do have some hope since my daughter slept a 6 hour chunk by 3 months. We can only hope this little guy follows suit!

@helenmelon29 aw, I hope Issac is back to feeling all right soon. :(

I wish I lived closer to a Y. I'm close enough that I could do it every now and again if I wanted to, but I know a membership would go to waste with the distance that there is. I didn't end up going to the Zumba class today. I woke up to go and was just exhausted from a late night mixed with broken sleep. I will go next week for sure and I've already told the instructor that I would be there so there's no backing out now. :)

We went for a walk today instead. It's freezing outside, but it's warmer than it will be even next week. Point bring that I got some exercise in anyway. :)

I've logged the past couple days of food now and now I understand why my weight has been stagnant... time to get moving again. Other than the flabby tummy I can't tell that I just had a baby so it's time. :)
  • katiebrew
    katiebrew Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies :) I love hearing your updates. Clara is almost 11 weeks and is such a great little baby - things are very different than with my first. She has been sleeping well and we just moved her into the big crib and I moved back into my bedroom two weekends ago. I had been sleeping in her room - it used to be a spare room with a double bed, so I slept in that and had her in the pack and play... we had a crib but we were holding off on putting it up until we could store the bed someplace. Then about three weeks ago I got a job offer in the next province over (my home province)... which is exciting for many reasons! It means being closer to family, a pay raise, and a career change! And my husband was able to transfer his position fairly easily - we are just waiting on the official paperwork, knock on wood. BUT for the past two weeks I have been a wreck. We cleaned/packed/decluttered and rented a storage unit so that our small-ish house would look larger for showings without so much STUFF in it (hence moving the bed and putting Clara in her big crib).

The house was officially listed last Tuesday. We haven't had any interest aside from four showings at an open house on the weekend. We are hoping things pick up a bit but we are going into the slow season AND the house market is soooo flooded here - definitely a buyers market! We have done some upgrades to the house and it's in a nice area of the city so we are hoping someone will fall in love with it... unfortunately we are in such a position that we can't afford to carry two mortgages so we really need to sell this place before we can buy somewhere closer to work. The upside is we have family we can stay with although it will make for a long commute each day. Sucky with two littles, but hopefully just temporary.

Long story short, I've been eating to cope with my stress and haven't felt up to exercising.... I am trying to be gentle with myself and not beat myself up too much. This week looks calmer (though this morning I just managed to get my husband and son out of the house to work/daycare and was looking forward to cuddling back in bed for a feed when the phone rings and my husband tells me we have a car appointment in a half hour - eek!) so I am going to focus on eating good for me food, reducing sugar, and trying to move a bit more than I have been. I would like to lose some more weight before the holidays.