Just Walk: 5 Boosted Miles

Options
zichab
zichab Posts: 1,444 Member
Hi Everyone,
If you do not own any of Leslie's videos, this is the one I would recommend as a starter DVD. The package actually says it best: Walkers that range from beginner all the way to advanced can get a great workout! There is little new here for veteran Leslie fans, but it is a very complete package that can be used in many ways.

The basic premise behind this DVD is that any of Leslie's walk moves can be boosted. To that end there is a separate segment of the video where she demonstrates all the boosted moves. For example, jogging in place instead of walking, leg swings instead of side steps, boosted kicks and the addition of lots of arm movements. All are intended to raise your heart rate and increase the intensity of the workout.

Mile one, begins with her standard warm up. Once that is over, she makes it clear that the pace is such that all moves from now on can be boosted and she is correct. They certainly can be. She always has at least one walker stay low impact when SHE boosts a move, but you can really boost any move you want to at any time. The pace is such that it works for any of the moves she uses. What is very nice about this DVD is that she does not slow way down at the beginning of each subsequent mile. Many of her multi-mile videos seem to start each mile over from the post warm up speed back to the 5 MPH pace, but this one only slows a bit and then she is right back up.

She once again has some 4 step moves in here, which will make it hard in a small space, but I did them in 2X2 and if I did not look at the screen, it was no problem. It will just be a little tricky in a couple of places and you might feel awkward. For example, she does a 4 step walk-then 4 shifts-then back 4 steps-4 shifts and forward 4 and 4 shifts sequence. I was doing 2+2 and then 4 shifts and then 2+2 and 4 shifts and after a bit, I was not sure if I was 2+2ing or shifting :p. But over all, it did not change the intensity of the workout, so it is doable for those of you with small spaces. The moves included on the DVD are: walking, side steps, knee lifts and kicks with the addition of Mumbo, Cha cha, mini-squats, skaters, and kick backs. The only moves I have not seen before are a step back in Mile 3 and a cross your arms pull down in Mile 5. Otherwise, this is standard Leslie.

I love the fact that at the end of each mile, the DVD takes you back to the menu screen. Many of them make YOU go to your DVD's menu screen and I have an older DVD player, so I have to eject it and start over to change miles. This one does not do that. So, if you decide to do 2 miles, but once you get into, want to do 3, it is no problem as you can make this decision on the fly! A great feature.

There is a lot of chatter, but she does not get distracted from her cuing, so again it is great for beginners. She changes outfits for each mile and if you find that distracting, you may not want this one. Mile 1 includes the warmup and Mile 5 the cool down. Otherwise, you can do the other 3 in any order you want. The entire 5 miles takes 71 minutes so you will need some time to do the whole thing.

Overall, in my view, this is one of her best 5 mile videos simply because it is truly flexible. If you only want to buy one of Leslie's DVDs, I'd buy this one.
Brenda :bigsmile:

Replies

• AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    Tell me you don't work for Collage Video???? LOL. Laughing because actually I think this review is more comprehensive than any on Collage Video and they are pretty good usually. I smell another career - if you ever get tired of teaching!

Seriously good Brenda. Thank you much!! :)
  • zichab
    Options
    Maybe I need to think about this Ann! :laugh: At the moment, I don't have time to work for Collage video, but who knows, in a few years I might! I am not sure I can do all the workouts on there though. I give up on Jillian Michaels every time I try her workouts, so she'd need a different reviewer. :wink: I am glad you enjoyed the review though. After the last 2 from Leslie, I was pleasantly surprised by this one.
    Brenda :bigsmile:
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much about mentioning the chatter. That is one thing that drives me crazy. LOL
  • zichab
    Options
    Thanks so much about mentioning the chatter. That is one thing that drives me crazy. LOL

You are very welcome. I know from being on here for over a year that a lot of people complain about the chatter, lack of cuing and changing outfits, so I try to mention the level of each when I get a new DVD. On a scale of 1-5 this one is about 3.5. Not the worst chatter, but a bit annoying at times. She seems to be flirting with "my friend Nick" and I am sure it is just her way, but I am not interested in it when I am working out. For me, this is not "giggle time." :bigsmile:

• Sherryisgettingfit
    Options
    Thanks for the review, I will definitely check this one out!
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    I too don't like too much chatter. It's strange because Leslie is so upbeat and friendly but to me her attempts at humor are sort of strained and she seems to be trying to hard.

I figured out the other day after doing the 4 Mile Super Challenge for the upteenth time that Linda's grandson must now be about 17 years old. For those of you just dying to know what Leslie says to Linda.... "How's that grandbaby, 18 months! Now this is the way a Grandmother should move." After hearing that a couple of hundred times, you really want to hurl. Well, maybe that's too strong but really, instructors need to be aware of the fact that they only say it once, but we have to hear it every single time we workout with them.
  • as5811
    as5811 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the review. I got an email saying that I might want to buy 5 Boosted Miles since I've purchased others. I read mixed reviews, but none as detailed as yours. It's good to hear from someone who actually works out with the DVD! Thanks again.

Know what you all mean about the chatter. Some days it drives me crazy, then other days = not so much. Leslie can be an acquired taste, but her workouts has been a motivator for me to exercise!
  • zichab
    Options
    Thank you as5811. I am glad it was helpful for you. I also am motivated when there is no excuse. It is hard to make excuses when you work out in your own living room! :laugh:
  • bandit5125
    bandit5125 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I love this one and the burn to the beat. the 1st 3mph is too slow for me, but I do 2 of the 4mph and 2of the 5mph and love it!