Worked out 'fasted'

Options
Ariadnula
Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
So... I quite often go to the gym on the way home, and I haven't eaten for six hours. That's a long time for me! And I'm in a quandary over whether to eat first.

I've been reading that you get more results from working out fasted - but by results, most sites seem to mean hypertrophy.

Now - I don't want hypertrophy, though I'm not scared of muscle, if you see what I mean. I'm unlikely to develop much anyway, as I eat mostly at a deficit or on maintenance... but do you think I'm better to eat before the gym, or just wait?

(I'm sorry if this has been covered - I can't see it anywhere)

Replies

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Short answer? If you don't feel sluggish or light headed and/or if the idea of food before working out makes you queasy, then don't and don't worry about it.

Longer answer: It doesn't really matter all that much. When most people refer to "working out fasted" they mean 8+ hours, early in the morning or before having any food at all that particular day (since sleeping).

To some people it leads to a decrease in performance. Some barely can function without food. Other people thrive on it and feel just fine if not better on an empty stomach.

No, you will not gain more muscle for working out fasted. All the contrary, in fact. You have to eat in a surplus in some way to build muscle. The only thing being fasted would really affect is fat loss, but even that has been sort of debunked.

Bottom line is: whatever makes you feel the strongest is what you should go with. If you're not hungry? Don't sweat it.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Intermittent Fasting: 16 hrs fasted & 8 hr eating window. I work out in the morning & eat after. I have no problems doing fasted workouts & I've been losing fat steadily. Whether it's from fasting or just from deficit eating, it's working.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Btw, I've read that 8 hrs is the minimum to be considered fasting.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    From what I've seen on the forums, it tends to be personal preference for both weights and cardio. I usually have eaten a few hours before lifting, with the occasional small snack on the way to the gym but that's because I lift after work and I always get a 30 minute lunch break at work where I eat some food.

However, if I lift in the morning before going to work, on those rare occasions, I eat nothing. Haven't seen much of a difference at all except there are more people in the gym when I go in the morning. Performance doesn't seem affected but it's not something I do on a regular basis.

Running, I do more often fasted unless it's the treadmill after lifting. For all of my 10k training, during summer, I did morning jogs to avoid the heat and I don't eat beforehand in that case because I don't like to eat right away after getting up. Some also say eat protein after lifting but eh, I don't do that either cause not into having much after midnight. *shrugs*
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Great! Thanks everyone, that's good to know.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I've started lifting before work in the morning which also means before breakfast. I do have a coffee when I am getting dressed but then will play it by ear. Usually I feel ok as long as I have a bottle of water by me. Occasionally, though and especially if I didn't sleep well, I will have a protein shake before I get there. I don't necessarily notice a difference in my ability to lift, but it certainly helps my Ohmyworditsstilldarkoutside mood a little!
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    I always have coffee. I'd die without coffee
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I ended up marrying the manager of the coffee shop opposite my office. Talk about a loyalty bonus!!!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    mmm coffee...