December Book

Options
mabug01
mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
Kiss Christmas Goodbye. An Agatha Raisin mystery by M.C.Beaton

Happy Reading! I just received my copy today and I look forward to starting it.

Replies

• lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    ok I will look for it; just got intra library loan badgers drift which I will read over tgiving and then get the other; Hey have a happy Thanksgiving; grown kids coming over/ no grandchildren yet
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    I saw Bridge of Spies too and maybe will go see Brooklyn- looks interesting
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. I will order our December read today.
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    HI Ladies ; hope all is well. Just recieved the December book from the library; I have 5 parties to go to this week; wish me well with eating..
  • mabug01
    Options
    Good luck with the parties, L. You can do it - there isn't anything new there that you haven't already eaten. So you know what it tastes like.

I'm about 3/4 done with the December book, and looking forward to finding out who did it.

I also finished Badger's Drift awhile back and loved all the extra details not included in the show. Also finished the Nevada Barr book Liberty Falling. It started out slow, but I really liked it because I love that detailed description.
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Happy Holidays Diamondettes. I received the December book and hope to start it this week. I read Badger's Drift and liked the atmosphere but the outcome was as unsettling as the show. I have put Liberty Falling on the list! Have fun at the parties!! Hope you both have a warm and cozy Christmas planned.
  • mabug01
    Options
    With Badger's Drift, it was interesting how different the character of the daughter is portrayed, as well as the personality of Barnaby, as compared to the tv show. Agatha Raisin is as taciturn as ever, but forthright when she does speak. Its clear I've missed a lot of material between reading the first novel, and the current one, but the changes are interesting.

Not sure what my holiday week holds for me. I'm having to integrate into son-in-law's family celebrations, to which I have not been invited, so now I'm trying to decide between being a party crasher, or spending the holiday alone. It puts my daughter in the middle because she is loyal to me.

I'm looking forward to sinking my teeth into a good novel in January. If you get any books for Christmas, share them here; we might be able to pick one as the January read.

Enjoy this lovely week!
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    Merry Christmas Diamondettes. The parties werent a big deal after all and yes its true I have tasted all these things. Have my daughter over who is doing massive cooking of all kinds of foods. I am going to do my best to moderate tomorrow. Not too far into the new book.
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Happy New Year Diamonettes!! I hope your Christmas turned out well. Mary I hope you had a soft place to land. Lenore I hope your daughter pampered you sufficiently. Mine was good as I had a house filled with kids and so the excitement of Christmas was definitely here. Yes, let's put our heads together and pick something good to read. L you once suggested Goldfinch and it should now be easier to request. The big number 1 book of 2015 was The Girl on the Train. Any suggestions?
  • mabug01
    Options
    Both of those books sound intriguing to me. I'm going to let you two pick because I'm caring for my daughter and the baby right now. My daughter had a bad gallbladder attack on New Year's Eve and was hospitalized so it could be removed on the 1st. Christmas was interesting. We ended up eating at Burger King. No comment about that except it better not happen again. I'm so glad you both had a good holiday.
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Sending good wishes for your daughter's speedy recovery. I know your being close by will help her. One book is lengthy and one is average. Does that matter? You may be pressed for time as you are caring for your family. L - any ideas for us?
  • mabug01
    Options
    Thanks, M. The length doesn't matter to me. I look forward to hearing any ideas L may have. In the meanwhile I'm going to start a Stephen King novel.
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    Hi .. I finished the kissing mas goodbye on a trip to Vegas . Just got back. Lots of people murdered and died in that book.. Crazy.. At least Agatha has hope she will find a man to love in her fifties . Not so sure for me . Anyway xmas was good ... Son moving out.. Soon an empty nester... Any book is fine.. I don't where you get your book ideas from but they're all so good. Xoxxo and I think vote for girl on a train...
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Happy New Year!!! Wish you both the best 2016!!! Okay, let's go with The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. I put in a library request and it is available. I was surprised. I know the Agatha book is called an English Cozy...not so cozy with all the bodies!! Vegas...good way to bring in the New Year. M. hope your daughter is doing okay. Here's to reading (and healthy eating and some good exercise)!
  • mabug01
    Options
    L - Vegas! How fun! Agatha is a bit nutty, and truthfully, I'm not so sure I want another man. They are a lot of work. A good friend would be nice, though. You will love being an empty nester because you can be selfish and that is so decadent.

M - Thanks for your good thoughts about my daughter. She is recovering quite nicely and had a much easier time with her gall bladder removal, as compared to mine. Her milk production is down a bit, so she is working on that issue. She was well enough to see Star Wars yesterday.

I've ordered the Girl on the Train and hope to get it within a few days. I started that Stephen King novel, but it started out with a dead cat and so I was a bit turned off by it. But that's what one should expect from him.

• steppingstones
    Options
    Hi, Just got the book today. Anyone have it or plan to read it? Hope all is well with the Diamonettes.
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    Yes
  • mabug01
    Options
    I think, somehow, you didn't get a notification about the January book thread. I named it "The Girl on the Train January Book" Can anyone see it? Perhaps I put it in the wrong place . . .