Charge HR now creating "Walk" exercise entries

Options
2»

Replies

• kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I just wish FB would fix the tracker in the app.
    One day I ran both the app and MMF on the same phone on the same walk. FB only mapped 1/4 of it
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    So does it have option to disable this auto-activity feature?

Or just that ability to set min time it must be seen?

No, you can turn off any, or all, of the activities that it will auto-detect. I turned off biking and elliptical since I don't do those and I don't want it mistakenly detecting them when I'm doing something else.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    I just wish FB would fix the tracker in the app.
    One day I ran both the app and MMF on the same phone on the same walk. FB only mapped 1/4 of it

I've done the same thing. MMF goes right down the road - usually it even has me on the correct side of the road (since it's a road without sidewalks, we walk facing the little bit of traffic that it has). FitBit jumps all over the place - up the mountain on one side, up the mountain on the other side, etc. It makes my speed and distance look great, but it isn't remotely accurate. MMF will mess up once in a blue moon. FitBit does it consistently.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    That's interesting - and they are both using the phone's GPS for this?

The GPS included ability in the mobile chipsets spit out complete info, not even a need for an app to do any math on raw data, unless their polling time is just awful.

Does MMF or Fitbit allow you to see the individual data points in the route that were used?
    I guess if Fitbit is bouncing around, you can tell when the straight line changes direction enough.

Just curious if perhaps MMF is doing data smoothing and Fitbit isn't, because GPS data can bounce around a bit, but good apps look at the stated accuracy range of the data and can easily decide that to keep a straight line your actual point must have been over here.
    It's very interesting live processing that can be done - some apps can do more later.

I'm going to have to break out the Fitbit app and see how those work. I hope I don't start getting sync issues. That's my fear.
  • kuranda10
    edited December 2015
    Options
    "I'm going to have to break out the Fitbit app and see how those work. I hope I don't start getting sync issues. That's my fear"

The 2x I've tested it, the activity has posted to my log, but then I just go in and delete it. since MMF doesn't report back to FitBit, it's no drama that I can see.

One of the tests FB got the track mostly, sort-of right, but recorded it as 1/4 of the distance. the second test, I didn't even bother looking at the track, just saw the distance was way off and deleted it.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    That's interesting - and they are both using the phone's GPS for this?

Yep. The location is in a mountain (well, foothill) valley with relatively poor cell coverage but the GPS seems solid as long as I wait for it to sync up after I get outside.
    Does MMF or Fitbit allow you to see the individual data points in the route that were used?
    I guess if Fitbit is bouncing around, you can tell when the straight line changes direction enough.

I can zoom in on the MMF map and see "segments". They're certainly not completely accurate as they show me as sometimes being slightly off the road, when I'm not, but they're pretty close and the distances it gives me are quite repeatable. If we take a walk today, I'll run the Fitbit app as well and see what it gives me. Next time we take a walk in town, I'll also try to run the Fitbit app and see if it works better there.

I would agree that it looks like MMF is doing some error correction on the GPS data and Fitbit is not. I've never retained the Fitbit data long enough to try to analyze it, though. I'll do that today (I hope - it's kind of cloudy right now and if it stays that way, we may not walk).
  • NancyN795
    Options
    Wouldn't you know, I promise to test the Fitbit app's mapping - which I've always found to be terrible - and it works perfectly. Either they fixed it, or Murphy's Law got me. I like the result, though, so I'll keep using it, if it keeps working.
  • kuranda10
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    Wouldn't you know, I promise to test the Fitbit app's mapping - which I've always found to be terrible - and it works perfectly. Either they fixed it, or Murphy's Law got me. I like the result, though, so I'll keep using it, if it keeps working.

I'll give it a try this weekend when I'm out and about. We have a scavenger hunt in town, that should put it through the paces ;-)
  • heybales
    Options
    Perhaps the bug was it working right for once - next time back to normal! ;-)
  • NancyN795
    Options
    Perhaps the bug was it working right for once - next time back to normal! ;-)

I tried it again yesterday, when we took a walk in town after running errands. It worked perfectly again. MMF said 3.08 miles and 429 calories, Fitbit said 3.02 miles and 431 calories. The map looks great. The only difference is that MMF says there was an elevation gain of 42 feet and Fitbit says 0. (The previous day MMF said elevation gain of 356 feet and Fitbit said 400. Fitbit also gave me an extra 49 calories on that walk over what MMF estimated.)
  • kuranda10
    Options
    I tested it today.
    The map looks good. distance and pace are close enough for gov't work (.85 miles FB v. .89 miles MMF). FitBit got the elevation close (60 ft v MMF 62 ft) and FitBit calories were higher, so we'll go with that. The difference in distance I'm attributing to getting the dogs set before remembering to turn on FB.

Over all I'll test a few more times, but probably just go with FitBit from now on. The bummer being my husband can see MMF just by being a friend and get notifications, where as with FitBit he can't.
  • kuranda10
    Options
    so, it works, BUT, on the dashboard is hows the walk with the GPS map, on the activities list it shows the walk, but the steps are different and the calories burned are different.
    I'm not sure if it recorded the walk from me activating the app, or if it recorded the walk from the SmartTracking.

If I was to put in a questions about this, should I put it under "dashboard", "smart track" or "Log"
  • NancyN795
    Options
    Over all I'll test a few more times, but probably just go with FitBit from now on. The bummer being my husband can see MMF just by being a friend and get notifications, where as with FitBit he can't.

I have the same dilemma. Not with my husband - who walks with me and doesn't care that much about the tracking - but with my mom and my sister, who both get the MMF notifications. So, I may continue using both.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    so, it works, BUT, on the dashboard is hows the walk with the GPS map, on the activities list it shows the walk, but the steps are different and the calories burned are different.
    I'm not sure if it recorded the walk from me activating the app, or if it recorded the walk from the SmartTracking.

If I was to put in a questions about this, should I put it under "dashboard", "smart track" or "Log"

Hmm, I hadn't noticed that. I did notice that the one day when I activated exercise mode with the button and tracked the walk with the app I got two entries, but didn't really pay attention to the differences. I just decided that I'll use one or the other, not both. I deleted the exercise mode activity. Your guess is as good as mine on what the subject should be.
  • heybales
    Options
    If it was synced in it should appear as a workout record - and there is no editing, only deleting.
    The Fitbit created one from button or starting tracker should be activity record - and should allow editing.

I'm curious if the auto-created one allows editing like activity record.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    If it was synced in it should appear as a workout record - and there is no editing, only deleting.
    The Fitbit created one from button or starting tracker should be activity record - and should allow editing.

I'm curious if the auto-created one allows editing like activity record.

I'm able to reclassify it so if it comes down as elliptical I can change it to something else if that it appropriate. The email that went out on this feature showed you how to do this on the web, android, iPhone...