Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves.

Options
aakaakaak
aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
Lose belly fat NOW! with this one weird secret!
Xenedrine!
Raspberry Ketones!
The Thighmaster!
Shakeology!
Magic Diet Beans!

Today's challenge, should you chose to accept it, is to find a random product with wild claims, do a little research, come back and explain exactly why the people selling the product are completely full of it. Most of the magic diet products on the market today will not help you. The people who sell them aren't much better than snake oil peddlers. Many will hurt you. And a few can be deadly if you're not careful.

If you can't find a bad product feel free to grab any random "broscience" piece of advice that is completely without merit and explain why.

Replies

• MyseriMapleleaf
    MyseriMapleleaf Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Right off the top of my head a product called Alli. I did some of the marketing research for it back in 2006. It literally tells you on the bottle it will make you 'fart' and 'poop' oily stools. Guys- there is no more SBD with this junk. You will leave oil trails. You will shart in your panties. You will be embarrassed. Even good fats (nuts, eggs, etc) will make you have greasy farts. NO THANK YOU. I know whether or not the product has any actually merit. And I don't care. Greasy farts- NO THANK YOU. Times 3,000!
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Here is a place to start with some research. Anything with herbs in it, you need to know what the herbs are and how they work together. Some herbs support each other and some don't. Many diet products have combinations of herbs that just repeat the same physical effect on top of each other which means the side effects are magnified.

http://quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/suppsherbs.html

For herbal medicene research, this is a place that seems trustworthy:

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/treatment/herbal-medicine
  • aakaakaak
    Options
    Right off the top of my head a product called Alli. I did some of the marketing research for it back in 2006. It literally tells you on the bottle it will make you 'fart' and 'poop' oily stools. Guys- there is no more SBD with this junk. You will leave oil trails. You will shart in your panties. You will be embarrassed. Even good fats (nuts, eggs, etc) will make you have greasy farts. NO THANK YOU. I know whether or not the product has any actually merit. And I don't care. Greasy farts- NO THANK YOU. Times 3,000!

Lol, reminds me of the warnings for Xenical: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/bowel.wav

DO NOT WANT!
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    http://hcgdietinfo.com/HCG-Weight-Loss-FAQ.htm

I am sooooooooo glad you did this challenge! I forgot to tell you guys several months ago when I went for my annual girlie check up I noticed my gyn had lost major weight! She looked good. she had a sign in the front asking "do you want to know how to lose weight?" So I asked her what she did...boy was I disappointed! She did this assinine diet! I was shocked and horrified that she would do something so silly! I mean really disappointed.
    So read this on why it is unsafe:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hcg-diet/an02091
    Crazy! I hope folks take this post series and see why MFP is a good healthy site to use.

Wonder Woman!
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    The bro science I hear the most is that homogenized peanut butter is the devil, so:

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2001/010612.htm

"No Trans Fats in Peanut Butter--Contrary to Current Rumor

Recurring rumors that commercial peanut butters contain trans fats--which appear to increase risk of cardiovascular disease--have no basis in fact, according to an Agricultural Research Service study.

The rumors no doubt started because small amounts of hydrogenated vegetable oils are added to commercial peanut butters--at 1 to 2 percent of total weight--to prevent the peanut oil from separating out. And the hydrogenation process can generate the formation of trans fatty acids in oils, according to Timothy H. Sanders, who leads research at ARS’ Market Quality and Handling Research Unit at Raleigh, N.C.

To see if the rumors had any validity, Sanders prepared 11 brands of peanut butter, including major store brands and “natural” brands, for analysis by a commercial laboratory. He also sent paste freshly prepared from roasted peanuts for comparison. The laboratory found no detectable trans fats in any of the samples, with a detection limit of 0.01 percent of the sample weight.

That means that a 32-gram serving of any of the 11 brands could contain from zero to a little over three-thousandths (0.0032) of a gram of trans fats without being detected. While current regulations don’t require food labels to disclose trans fat levels, they do require disclosure of saturated fat levels at or above five-tenths (0.5) of a gram. For comparison, that’s 156 times higher than this study’s detection limit for trans fats."
  • babymarmar1
    Options
    basically anything that doesnt require diet and exercise is a scam. the only way to effectively lose weight to eat less and move more! some of the quick fixes might work, but your results are directly correlated to your effort. If it took you six weeks to lose 30 lbs then it isnt going to take very long to put it back on, and we all know you gain it back plus some!!
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, let's see..... LA Weight Loss, Results Weight Loss, HCG Diet..... what are these? All weightloss plans that you will fail at.... at first yes, you will lose, but then you will gain it back and then some... why? Because they are extreme diets that severely reduce your calories and severely restrict what you can and can't have... why do they fail? Because they don't teach you how to eat right and eat your "treats" in moderation.... how do I know and how can I preach about them.... because these are all the "diets" that I lost weight on, gained it back because they didn't teach me how to eat to keep it off and because of them, my metabolism is screwed up enough that it's going to be a long term struggle to lose the weight again and be able to keep it off
  • aakaakaak
    Options
    What inspired for this post was a random extreme weight loss TV show with a one armed guy. The things the trainer were making him do and the way he wasn't paying attention to what he was doing made me want to smack him. The one that nearly sent me into a yelling fit was when the kid spent nearly a month living off not much more than protein shakes and THEN the trainer stepped in...right about the time the kid's hair started falling out. Really? It takes the guy a month to notice this? If I did that here I'm sure half of you would reach through the internet and slap me silly. And none of you are licensed professionals. Where do they hand out their trainer certifications? Cracker Jack boxes?

http://news.uwgb.edu/featured/go-green/06/26/feature-sawlsville-weight-loss/
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    Hmmmm, let's see..... LA Weight Loss, Results Weight Loss, HCG Diet..... what are these? All weightloss plans that you will fail at.... at first yes, you will lose, but then you will gain it back and then some... why? Because they are extreme diets that severely reduce your calories and severely restrict what you can and can't have... why do they fail? Because they don't teach you how to eat right and eat your "treats" in moderation.... how do I know and how can I preach about them.... because these are all the "diets" that I lost weight on, gained it back because they didn't teach me how to eat to keep it off and because of them, my metabolism is screwed up enough that it's going to be a long term struggle to lose the weight again and be able to keep it off

I forgot you said you experienced a lot of diets. I still commend you because you DID turn your life around! Kudos!
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    THEN the trainer stepped in...right about the time the kid's hair started falling out. Really? It takes the guy a month to notice this? If I did that here I'm sure half of you would reach through the internet and slap me silly. And none of you are licensed professionals. Where do they hand out their trainer certifications? Cracker Jack boxes?

What??? Hair falling out? Oh my goodness how pipe dreams can be sold!
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,475 Member
    Options
    There was one diet I did a really long time ago where I had to drink this horrid pink stuff three time a day...that was it! Of course, it didn't last long. I'm one of those people who have to have something to chew on all the time. I would walk around my house trying to figure out what was missing... then I realized...real food, silly girl. Now I make sure I have cut up bell pepper, celery, cucumbers, jicama, or anything that crunches, and I'm happy.

Yeah, it was pretty awful!

Chris