20 years Air Force

Options
markja
markja Posts: 270 Member
What's up Brother Vets?

I retired from the Air Force in 1997. I was in Desert Storm. My career field was telecom and that's still what I do. I'm a Recruiter, these days.

I went in at 185 lbs in 1977. Today, I'm at 292. I was up to 335 before I regained some sanity. I've been stuck at 290, give our take, for a year now, and I need to do something about it.

I live in Plano, north of Dallas. My primary exercise is walking.

So, there has have it!

Markja

Replies

• FatPJ
    FatPJ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey there marjka. First off, thanks for your service bud. I myself just passed 20 years in this past july. Army here. Actually getting set to deploy overseas very soon.

I quit smoking recently after 25+ years. But I also put on about 30 lbs too. So I ballooned up to 275. But I started going back to the gym and doing pretty much strictly cardiovascular stuff. Elliptical, treadmill, etc. If you're interested, I can elaborate on some stuff I'm doing, not doing, taking, etc. Lemme know. Good luck to you.

PJ
  • danmaucieri
    danmaucieri Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just learning how this message stuff works, didn't even know this post was here, sorry.

I was in the AF my whole adult life. Went in at 20 in 1985 and retired in March last year. Moved to Canton Texas. Small town, rural community, very relaxing. I was in aircraft maintenance my whole career with half of my 30 years overseas.

I was an avid cyclist for many years but just as my career was ending I was hit with some major health issues that I continue to struggle with today. Due to those issues, I cannot ride a bike, run or do anything strenuous enough to stay in shape. And so I walk. This little fitness tracker my wife bought me is helping me with my fitness.

We all have challenges to deal with but we still need goals and need to work to keep ourselves healthy. Hopefully we can gain a bit of motivation from. Each other.
  • jlcnuke
    jlcnuke Posts: 31 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hey everyone :)

I'm Jeff, I joined the Navy in 1996 and was medically discharged in 2008 after becoming an insulin dependent diabetic. I never reached 200lbs while I was in but my current job has me sitting at a desk all day and I like good food so I eventually reached 225 (I was steady around 180 until I quit smoking in August 2014... put most of the weight on in the last ~1.5 years). I decided a while ago to lose some weight but kept putting it off. Last week I decided enough was enough and now I'm determined to get back in shape and get my weight down.

I've had my elliptical machine for probably a year but now I'm determined to use it regularly and take my dog for longer walks. I'm also going to take the stairs down a couple times a day (10th floor at work) instead of the elevator. The easiest cut in calories is probably cutting back on the beer for me. I also bought a fitbit to track my steps and help motivate me to be more active (and I'll probably do some of the friend challenges with is since I have a few friends that use them as well).
  • RockTex
    RockTex Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Retired after 20 years in the AF. Work hard to stay in shape and try hard to eat right. Seems to be working but like most others not perfect. If that's even possible.