Feeling big in the first trimester

Options
mrs_n0rris
mrs_n0rris Posts: 65 Member
Hi Ladies! I know there was a post from someone much later in their pregnancy than I am about how they felt like a house...well I feel that way and I'm only 10 wks in! I realize this is mostly just-in-my-head-crazy but does anyone else feel huge already? I've only gained maybe 2lbs and some of my old clothes still fits comfortably but I just feel big. I guess part of it is that while my belly is bigger, it's not clear that it's a baby rather than Cheetos in there yet. Anyone else feeling this way? Any suggestions on how to move on from the crazy? :wink:

Replies

• sarah2002
    sarah2002 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    YES! I felt this way the entire first trimester, and still do at 16 weeks. I am a smaller gal, though (5'2", 117lbs pre-pregnancy), so I started to pop out by 8 weeks. I don't feel fat...just really uncomfortable. I have the feeling that I will probably feel this way until baby is born and I shrink back down to my original size...
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Lol, that was me posting about feeling like a house (I still feel like that!!) :) Anyways I had a lot of bloating in the first trimester which did go away in the second trimester. My bump didn't really pop out until about 18-20 weeks. For me what helped the bloating was drinking peppermint tea, it helps with stomach issues and keeps you hydrated as well and helps with fluid retention. I wish you good luck! The end is finally looking more near for me, only 4 weeks to go :)
    Hi Ladies! I know there was a post from someone much later in their pregnancy than I am about how they felt like a house...well I feel that way and I'm only 10 wks in! I realize this is mostly just-in-my-head-crazy but does anyone else feel huge already? I've only gained maybe 2lbs and some of my old clothes still fits comfortably but I just feel big. I guess part of it is that while my belly is bigger, it's not clear that it's a baby rather than Cheetos in there yet. Anyone else feeling this way? Any suggestions on how to move on from the crazy? :wink:
  • catydabo
    catydabo Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm 6 weeks and just feel bloated all the time. I haven't gained any weight yet, but my stomach is constantly pushing out. This is my 2nd pregnancy and I am already overweight so I know that has some to do with it. Thanks for the tip about Peppermint Tea! I need to try it!
  • igottaworkout
    Options
    You're welcome! It really helped me, I drank about 3 glasses of it a day (I just made a small pot a day with two teabags and drink it at room temp) and on the second day I noticed my bloating had gone down.
    I'm 6 weeks and just feel bloated all the time. I haven't gained any weight yet, but my stomach is constantly pushing out. This is my 2nd pregnancy and I am already overweight so I know that has some to do with it. Thanks for the tip about Peppermint Tea! I need to try it!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I felt fat my whole first trimester; it stunk! Even when I popped, around 13 weeks (second pregnancy, short torso - nowhere else for baby to go!) in the wrong clothes I just looked fat.

It gets better, just keep hydrated - I think some of the swelling/bloating comes from dehydration from morning sickness. Water with a bit of lemon juice helped me. I'm not sure why the squirt of lemon helped but it does.
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I was so bloated the first trimester I was worried people would guess I was pregnant and had to wear maternity trousers from 10 weeks. It did go down eventually and I got to wear normal clothes again until about 22 weeks. I agree that peppermint tea was a great help.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    This is my sixth pregnancy, so I started showing almost right away. (As a matter of fact, with my last one my first clue that I was pregnant was when I realized I was showing already. I was only like 6 weeks!)

On the one hand, it doesn't bother me because I know it's not fat. On the other hand, other people don't necessarily know that. So I started looking for clothes that *accentuate* the bump! I usually don't wear anything with a high waist because it makes me look pregnant -- so I went out and purposely bought three sundresses with high waists to make it OBVIOUS. I also rest my hand on my belly a lot, as sort of a visual clue that it's a BABY, not FAT. :P
  • mrs_n0rris
    mrs_n0rris Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! First off the peppermint tea has helped a lot (my pants actually fit better since I started drinking it so that's a good sign!). I'm short too at 5'2 so there just isn't anywhere for the extra stuff to go.

I also like the empire waist sundress idea :) Might as well flaunt that baby belly while you have it!
  • igottaworkout
    Options
    Thanks ladies! First off the peppermint tea has helped a lot (my pants actually fit better since I started drinking it so that's a good sign!). I'm short too at 5'2 so there just isn't anywhere for the extra stuff to go.

I also like the empire waist sundress idea :) Might as well flaunt that baby belly while you have it!

I'm glad it helped you too! Good luck with the rest of the pregnancy!
  • MandaLee8908
    MandaLee8908 Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options
    I really AM big! 9 weeks and som change right now, but I was in maternity pants at 5 weeks. I look like 2nd tri!!!! We thought we were having twins, but there is just one...I just happen to be huge.

It's actually kinda fun though...I love the cute clothes!