Should I even bother to sync my fitbit to MFP?

Options
suzan06
suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
I am sure most (everyone?) does sync them. I just got a fitbit (BF sales, woot!) and I didn't really get it for the purpose of syncing with MFP. I got it because I wear a watch anyway, so I might as well have one that tells me how much I am moving, to motivate me to move more. I have the Charge. If there are other magical and amazing things it does that I should know, please tell me!

Syncing seems to sometimes create issues as evidenced by the million PSA's in this forum, and I am losing weight fine by just logging my exercise in MFP and eating back the calories.

Why do you or don't you sync? Is there some better way the fitbit will track my TDEE than using the estimates via MFP for moderately active person + logging exercise?

Replies

• suzan06
    Options
    FWIW, I walk, bike, and do an exercise video with some weight lifting and some body weight exercises as my main exercise.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I tried syncing mine for a couple of weeks, but it was frustrating me to have to meal plan against a moving target. Besides, I use a custom calorie goal and custom macros, which don't work properly with Fitbit sync. So I've opted to keep them unsynced, and to just use the Fitbit to motivate me to move more.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you function. segacs uses custom goals and found it hard to menu plan, so she doesn't link them. Some people use them unlinked but get a TDEE from their Fitbits that allow them to set their MFP goals.

Other people are like me. At this point, I would have a really hard time using MFP without my Fitbit. If I had to give up one or the other, I'd abandon MFP in a heartbeat to keep my Fitbit. Fitbit tracks my actual activity level, rather than the crude estimate that MFP offers (i.e. Sedentary, Lightly Active, Active, or Very Active). The calorie estimates that MFP gives me for exercising are worthless - they're way off, generally way too high. Instead, my Fitbit tracks virtually all my exercise, since I do mostly step-based things (walking, Zumba, running). Even for things that a Fitbit can't track well (such as your biking), the estimates that Fitbit gives for those exercises are said to be more accurate.

Basically, what it comes down to is that while Fitbit and MFP are both estimating your calorie burn, MFP does it purely on what you tell it while Fitbit actually has data to base it on. Even if you continue to manually log your exercise, your Fitbit will do a much better job of tracking your non-exercise activity level than MFP's setting.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Yeah, even I use my Fitbit to get a better estimate of my calorie goals than what MFP tells me. I don't track exercise on MFP. I just average my Fitbit TDEE to get a general idea of my range, and set my calorie goal on MFP on that basis.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I do pretty much what @segacs does -- I don't sync, and I don't track exercise on MFP. I'm maintaining right now, so I set my calorie goal on MFP to match the average TDEE my Fitbit has given me.
  • hmichaud09
    hmichaud09 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I sync, but I've only been using this for a few weeks. There is always a discrepancy of what fitBit tells me I have left and MFP. Usually 2-300 calories. I would log food in Fitbit but it is a pain in the butt compared to MFP, I look at the two numbers and usually just go with MFP allowance because its on the lower side. Works for me so far. Down 9 lbs.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've had my fitbit synced to mfp from the get go. It takes all the guess work out for me, and I love seeing my calories go up throughout the day.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I just got the Fitbit one. I do not sync it with MFP because I don't track calories.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I sync both apps and save my extra calories for something sweet at the end of the day, or for any sudden food trips. I've been maintaining pretty well with the calories I'm given.
  • burtisfamily7
    burtisfamily7 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I sync and LOVE it. MFP is very accurate and its nice to compare ins and outs. Keeps me motivated and accountable, and it shows you realistically what goes in vs what is burned. I LOVE it!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    hmichaud09 wrote: »
    I sync, but I've only been using this for a few weeks. There is always a discrepancy of what fitBit tells me I have left and MFP. Usually 2-300 calories. I would log food in Fitbit but it is a pain in the butt compared to MFP, I look at the two numbers and usually just go with MFP allowance because its on the lower side. Works for me so far. Down 9 lbs.

There's a difference because MFP is totally based on calculations and YOUR selected activity level with NO exercise accounted for - whereas Fitbit's is based on what you actually do as far as movement and that may include exercise.

Guess which is a better estimate.

Lower isn't more accurate by default.

Suggest reading the FAQ to understand what is going on before making a decision to not use a tool the way it was designed to be used.
    Sometimes a tool used wrong can still work, usually not as well, sometimes not at all, and sometimes can be dangerous.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    hmichaud09 wrote: »

If it's been a while (and/or a fair number of pounds) since you updated your diet/fitness profile in MFP, the discrepancy will be greater. Right after I update that, MFP and Fitbit agree very closely but as I lose weight, it grows.
  • suzan06
    Options
    How do you guys average your fitbit calories? Do you just kind of mentally do it, or is there a way to look at your average burn?

I'm given ~1600 calories on MFP + 2-400 on average for exercise.

I seem to be ranging from 2400-2700 calories burned from fitbit. So perhaps I should eat a bit more.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    suzan06 wrote: »
    How do you guys average your fitbit calories? Do you just kind of mentally do it, or is there a way to look at your average burn?

I'm given ~1600 calories on MFP + 2-400 on average for exercise.

I seem to be ranging from 2400-2700 calories burned from fitbit. So perhaps I should eat a bit more.

Look on your Fitbit profile page on the website. (Click on your profile picture in the upper right.) It shows a 30 day graph of intake vs. burn, with the average intake and and average burn below it.
  • suzan06
    Options
    Thank you!
  • suzan06
    Options
    This might be a good time to admit that I had only ever looked at the app! Off to the website I go.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    This might be a good time to admit that I had only ever looked at the app! Off to the website I go.

The website is much more user-friendly when it comes to looking at your stats. It's one of the few websites I've been to where I actually like the landing page with all the customizable tiles.

I chop and change whether I sync my fitbit to mfp or not. I prefer inputting custom tdee goals on mfp and using those (I prefer to have a consistent daily goal rather than a varying one), but when my exercise schedule gets inconsistent, I go back to syncing the fitbit.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I am sure most (everyone?) does sync them. I just got a fitbit (BF sales, woot!) and I didn't really get it for the purpose of syncing with MFP. I got it because I wear a watch anyway, so I might as well have one that tells me how much I am moving, to motivate me to move more. I have the Charge. If there are other magical and amazing things it does that I should know, please tell me!

Syncing seems to sometimes create issues as evidenced by the million PSA's in this forum, and I am losing weight fine by just logging my exercise in MFP and eating back the calories.

Why do you or don't you sync? Is there some better way the fitbit will track my TDEE than using the estimates via MFP for moderately active person + logging exercise?

I have mine synced. I use FitBit track pretty much everything (activity, calorie expenditure, water, sleep, etc), and use MFP for food logging. I continue to use MFP because it seems more granular with respect to macros and micros, though I use the app versions of both and have not been on FitBit's site since I created my account.