Ever Easier? Or just different?

Options
jofjltncb6
jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
I joked with the gym manager/trainer after one of those grueling chipper ladder WODs asking if this ever got any easier. She replied, "maybe a little...a very little".

I sent her this email later that day:
...so maybe this only gets ever-so-slightly easier eventually with practice...

...but can you at least promise that it will make me look better and/or be more awesome?

I can deal with it not getting easier if I have either or both of those two things.

On a serious note, I think I finally used a weight in a WOD that was appropriate for me for where I am currently in this whole process. I sometimes have to remind myself that I don't need to flirt with the line of what is (for me) a dangerous weight in order to progress...and by "sometimes", I mean, "every day".

So, does this ever get "easier"?

My theory is probably 'no'...because as it gets "easier", we make it harder...either by design by increasing the weight or instinctively by pushing harder for a better time, more reps, etc. That said, it probably gets "different" in that we gain the confidence of knowing the movements better such that we can focus more on the movement than on the steps to execute the movement...and of knowing that we are capable of more, so we don't hesitate to give more.

So for those of you who have been doing this for a while (and other newbies like me), what are your opinions?

Replies

• SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    So far, some things have been a little "easier" in that I got over my fear of them or my mobility has increased to allow me to do the movement better (like box jumps and back squats), but none of the movements have gotten to a point where I feel like I don't have to think about every little part of it. I hope some day I can just snatch or clean without having to think a million things while I do it.
  • ksellen1
    ksellen1 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    For me, it's getting "easier" to do the movements the correct way. It gets "easier" because I'm getting better at knowing what the movements on the board are. It get's "easier" because I feel more confident walking through the doors.

Every work out is always hard. That's why I go. As soon as the WOD is easy, what's the point? For me, this is all about pushing myself to get better and to be able to lift more. Don't get discouraged. I'm dealing with an injury and have to squat onto a box now...I could do full depth before. It's hard...but it's getting easier at the same time. :)
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Are there days where i can barely move I'm so sore? YES. Are there days where I physically cannot finish a WOD? HELL YES.
    Are there days where I cannot do a specific movement in a WOD? Most definitely.

Been at this 3.5 years. I do my best not to modify anything anymore, so I have improved vastly in that area. But I wouldn't say the workouts have gotten easier. Rather, I have gotten better and "levelled up" to RX'd movements and weights. If I went back to the modified weights and movements I did in the very very beginning, I would definitely say heck yes this has gotten so much easier, but that is not the point of crossfit. We should never reach a point where we do a WOD where we go, hmmm that was easy. We should always be pushing to get to that heavier weight, that faster time, those few extra reps. And that is what keeps Crossfit so wonderfully difficult. I wouldn't have stuck around as long as I have if I ever found it getting too easy and something wasn't done to make it less so.

Also, in general, I am a LOT less sore after most workouts we do than the first month or so. Don't know if my body has gotten used to a general state of soreness or if my muscles are not bothered by the constantly varied motions. This does not go without saying that there are days where I shuffle around and don't want to move.

"easier" is just a point of view. In a few months time you should be able to look back on the workouts you did when you were just beginning and laugh and go " man, if I did that again, I could do 'x' instead of 'y' and still beat my time!"
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Good points so far...

...and just so we're all clear, I'm not looking for it to become "easier" in order to continue doing this. Quite the contrary, the reason I started this was because it was so "not easy". I don't need it to become "easier" not to be discouraged either. What encourages me is that the process does in so many ways become "easier", but that it is immediately once again "not easier" because I can use more weight, or I can improve my time, or I can simply improve my focus.

This was more of a philosophical question that I expected would generate some interesting discussion...because I know the internal discussion I had with myself about it was interesting.

TL;DR - I'm not expecting it to get "easier" but instead am expecting me to get better.
  • WillieMN
    WillieMN Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    +1 on " I'm not expecting it to get "easier" but instead am expecting me to get better."

I agree that if we do crossfit for the challenge, we'll work harder as our technique and strength improves.
    Or after the workout you go over the movements and think of ways to do it better.

A few hours after today's WOD I wasn't feeling too sore and was bummed thinking, I could have went harder.
    Now I'm nearing the evening and I'm a bit stiffer getting out of a chair. OK then, there's the workout.

I'm still a newbie to CrossFit so I may error on the side of cautious but I know as I progress I'll step up for improvements.

I hope it's never gets "easy". :wink:
  • alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    The best quote I have ever heard related to crossfit is “it doesn’t get easier you just get better.” The first time I did Fran I used a 55# bar and the heaviest pull up band. The last time I did Fran I did it as RX’d, both times I was kneeling on the ground with the infamous Fran cough for the next 3 hours.

Almost a year and a half later, I’m still sore after almost every WOD, if I’m not I wonder if I could’ve pushed harder or done more weight, but it’s never a oh I’m in pain kind of sore. It’s more man sitting down really stinks because I did 5X5 back squats yesterday.

The thing I love about crossfit is it’s a continuous cycle of improvement. When I started I just wanted to be able to do an unassisted pulled, 6 months later it was I want to do 10 unbroken, then 20, and now its I want to do 30. There’s always something to get better at. I keep a running list of crossfit goals and it’s so fun to see things get crossed of the list and see new stuff get added.