Achilles crepitus

Options
mkakids
mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
The last several times I have run, I have noticed some minor pain in my achilles, along with inflamation and crepitus (the area feels tight and I can feel the tendons rubbing when I move my ankle). Its not particularly painful....just annoying.

I started running more seriously in June of this year. I had been running 1-2xs per week for a year prior to that, but slow, short runs (2-3 miles). Then I decided to sign up for a half marathon and obviously increased my mileage.

I followed a 20 week half plan, which had me slowly up my mileage. About half way through the plan, it was time for new shoes. I went and got fitted, again, at a local running store who did a gait analysis.

Not too long after that, I started to get pain in my calf (which eventually went away) and the achilles thing. That was also the time when the mileage increased fairly significantly. My achilles feels perfectly fine 2 days after each run. and I dont have pain while running....just notice its tight after,

so all that to say....how do I figure out if its the shoes, the mileage, or my form? Or something else?

Does the achilles crepitus mean I should see a Dr? Or will it go away on its own?

Thanks!

Replies

• marthafox1
    marthafox1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I too, am having achilles problems. Firstly, try different trainers on your next run (even using a pair of old trainers) to measure the severity of the pain - it could be something that simple. Most trainers have a 500-700k life span. After each run, roll your foot over a frozen water bottle for a little while - this will help loosen tendons and reduce inflammation. Next, foam roller your calf down to the achilles. After your shower, rest, ice, compression, elevation on the affected area. You can also use a tennis ball under foot to roll around to keep things loose.