My story - also, who else gets drunk off carbs?

Options
scarlettsmom87
scarlettsmom87 Posts: 11 Member
I was diagnosed in 2006 when I was 19. At the time, I was 180lbs at the time after being 145 lbs in high school. I'm 5'8'' btw.

In 2007, I met my hubby. For about 4 years, I only had 2-4 periods per year. I had a mustache I kept at bay. I carried all my weight in my tummy. I had no butt and skinny legs. In 2011, my weight hit an all time high of 230 lbs. I cried so hard. I knew my chances of having a baby were slim to none. Of course I didn't eat very well but my 175 lb husband could put me to shame when it came to eating food. I was experiencing severe dizzy spells and moments of drunkenness after eating carbs. I was DONE being fat so I joined MFP and counted calories. I joined a gym. Soon, I had lost 30 lbs!! My periods started coming back on their own. I was so excited.

Around November, I skipped my period. It was nothing new. Then I skipped it again. I felt really sick. Guess what? I WAS PREGNANT!! I had no complications during my pregnancy and delivered a healthy daughter in August 2012. My periods seemed to come back. I only gained 14 lbs while pregnant, 7 being baby. I was on my feet full time up until delivery so I'm surr that helped.

I breastfed for four months and got down to 201. Ughhh!!

Now I'm 216 out of nowhere. Its terrible.

I'm back counting calories. But I have to ask you ladies - do any of you ever feel drunk after eating carbs? I mean exhausted, slurred speech drunk. Non PCOS people think I'm crazy for asking that.

Replies

• danninicole4887
    danninicole4887 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This has happened a couple of times to me. When I spoke with my doctor about it he told me it was because of the way my body breaks down the carbs and it messes with your blood sugar. Ultimately when carbs are processed in your body they break down into sugars. I just to watch the amount of carbs i have at once and make sure I do not have sugars with it as well.
  • samantharoseroth
    Options
    My body does the same thing. You're not alone. It's a tough battle, but clearly something you've been able to conquer before. Hang in there!!
  • boxem180
    boxem180 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Have you been tested for being insulin resistant? It's a common thing for us PCOSers to have that as well (because we don't have enough things to deal with). I was diagnosed with both last summer and was put on Metformin. My sugars and my body's reaction to sugar has normalized so I don't crave carbs like I used to and when I do eat them, I don't get the whole "woohoo!" effect after.
  • scarlettsmom87
    scarlettsmom87 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My doc did some bloodwork back in Feb and everything checked out ok. I've gained 10 lbs since then so I don't know if my symptoms have come back. I don't think I've ever been tested for IR though. I feel like I have it. Ive eaten very little carbs over the past few days and I feel sooo much better. I'm no longer as tired and I'm no longer drunk. I hope it lasts! Also, I passed my gestational diabetes test when I was pregnant. Not sure if that means anything for me now.