So why did you choose this over NROLFW?

Options

Replies

• pintobean
    pintobean Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Why not, more knowledge is no bad thing!

Totally agree!
    You still get to learn stuff. Knowledge is powerful :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Like the others, I went with SL because it's simple. I saw several people saying they loved NROLFW, but when they got to the second or third stage, it got too confusing, so they were looking for something else. It seems that everyone loves the book and the message it sends whether you do the program or not. I've personally never read the book.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Let's see...

5 basic, compound lifts vs a bajillion new lifts/variations every couple of weeks/stage

2 workouts to remember A or B vs Week "x" Workout "y" and Stage "z"

StrongLifts = SimpleLogic for me
  • JamBlaze
    JamBlaze Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Really hard to find the book in the UK, and 5x5 is easy as it's online!
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    It looks like StrongLifts would suit me best but I would also benefit from reading nrol4w. We are on our way to Fl as I type. If I notice a bookstore on the way, we will stop to see if they have it. Thanks for all your responses! I'm really looking forward to starting (after vacation)!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Just FYI if you have a tablet with a Kindle app, NROL4W and Starting Strength are both available in e-book format.
  • christianteach
    Options
    Just FYI if you have a tablet with a Kindle app, NROL4W and Starting Strength are both available in e-book format.

I thought of that and have a Kindle but I didn't bring it with me. I think I would prefer having an actual paperback so I could easily look back at something.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Where can I find Tameko's summaries? She's a member of MFP, right?
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Where can I find Tameko's summaries? She's a member of MFP, right?

They're all in the stickies at the top part of this group.
  • ski0721
    ski0721 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I need to unsubscribe to Mehdi's emails like yesterday!
  • christianteach
    Options

They aren't beneficial?
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I done sl for 8 weeks, just enough to get me or of a plateau. lost 19 inches over that time frame. Boring as Crap though, so I'm in stage 3 of nrol4w. I am losing viseral body fat, and for so much stronger and I like the Mises and the book showed you exactly what to do. But either is up to you. I tell every one that it's a good thing to go sl first just to get the lifts down. G ood's luck
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I have actually already done the NROLFW and absolutely loved it and had incredible results from it. I finished it in January, I changed my program and did really well for the next 4 months and then hit a wall. I am so close to maintenance just want those last few inches off and toning.

I am starting this as a new challenge to push those last few inches off that have been stuck for 2 months since I plateaued.
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I did the first stage of NROLFW.

Then, in the second stage, there was an exercise where you stand on one foot and lift dumbbells. I can not do it. I could not do even one set.

Plus, I detest lunges. Hate them with a burning passion and there are a lot of them in NR.

I know they're good for me, but they make my knees hurt something awful (like my kneecap is going to pop off).
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options

Then, in the second stage, there was an exercise where you stand on one foot and lift dumbbells. I can not do it. I could not do even one set.

Plus, I detest lunges. Hate them with a burning passion and there are a lot of them in NR.

I know they're good for me, but they make my knees hurt something awful (like my kneecap is going to pop off).

If your kneecap pops off, it's a sure sign they're not good for you! I have d1cky knees (hahaha, anybody who's Australian will giggle at that!) and can't do lunges. I love that!!
  • ski0721
    ski0721 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

They aren't beneficial?

The majority of the emails are just Mehdi boasting his 'inner circle" that is a paid membership group. I do not find them beneficial. I didn't read much of his manual and referred to Tameko's threads instead.
  • mjpbgtd
    mjpbgtd Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I didn't choose one over the other. I did NROLFW first, and then did SL. I would recommend that you decide which one appeals to you most and go for it. You really cannot go wrong either way.

^ What she said. I started with a few phases of of NROLFW - liked the explanations/argument for lifting in the book and eventually found that I liked the simplicity of Stronglifts more.
  • christianteach
    Options

I do lunges with power 90, I actually don't mind them too much and between them and the squats my thighs have really started to ing up. :) Of course the only weight in loved is my own...I may not like the so much if weights are involved.

I just picked up the nrol4w book. I'm excited to read it to gain some knowledge on lifting. I still think I will start with StrongLifts after our cruise...we embark tomorrow. :D
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    because it's free. I want to get the Starting Strength book though.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's free, it's simple and basic, and a lot of the women I admire used it, some switching from New Rules and like this better.