Any Singlespeed riders out there?

Options
tvcjosh
tvcjosh Posts: 23 Member
I recently got a road bike, and it's been quite fun learning riding it around, but my first love ( as well as the bike I ride daily) is a singlespeed bianchi pista. Anyone else out there ride one?

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    I used to ride a fixie most winters, mainly to save the good bike, and to keep warm, but a combination of bad knees and hilly terrain around here pretty much put paid to that for a while - now i'm a bit fitter, may be tempted to resurrect one of my old Raleighs for the winter - work on my souplesse a little.

I did see one of the Bianchi Pista's in a LBS a few years ago - lovely white lettering on chrome finish, and seriously trackie angles and BB height... If I was going to buy something now, I'd probably be tempted by an On-One Pompino or if they ever re-order them the Machiatto
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I'd like to give riding 'fixed' a go, but fear it may be a one-way trip to A&E (ER). :laugh:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    wierdest "fixed" experience I had was when a freehub died on me whilst out on the mtb. up in Scotland. Was nearly 20 miles from the car, and with a freehub that freewheeled in both directions. Fortunately in the camelback I had a couple of industrial strength zipties. Hub was a Large flange XT and I managed to ziptie the cassette to the hub flange. Meant i'd got a 4 cog (the smaller ones) cassette based fixed hub - very strange indeed - couldn't freewheel at all, but could change gear. Fortunately MTB had good brakes so I wasn't back-pedalling, and I just didn't clip in, so I could ditch the pedals if the downhills got too fast...

Not an experience I'd recommend, or particularly enjoyed, but it got me back to the car and saved a hell of a lot of walking!!
  • tvcjosh
    Options
    I'd like to give riding 'fixed' a go, but fear it may be a one-way trip to A&E (ER). :laugh:
    :laugh:
  • tvcjosh
    Options
    wierdest "fixed" experience I had was when a freehub died on me whilst out on the mtb. up in Scotland. Was nearly 20 miles from the car, and with a freehub that freewheeled in both directions. Fortunately in the camelback I had a couple of industrial strength zipties. Hub was a Large flange XT and I managed to ziptie the cassette to the hub flange. Meant i'd got a 4 cog (the smaller ones) cassette based fixed hub - very strange indeed - couldn't freewheel at all, but could change gear. Fortunately MTB had good brakes so I wasn't back-pedalling, and I just didn't clip in, so I could ditch the pedals if the downhills got too fast...

Not an experience I'd recommend, or particularly enjoyed, but it got me back to the car and saved a hell of a lot of walking!!

:noway: did you manage to get a pic of it at all? that's crazy!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I was more concerned with getting out of the rain, and back to the car... It was the last day of the trip, and I just dropped the bike in the back of the car, drove home, and removed the freehub when I got back to my workshop and dropped a new one on... I dismantled the freehub that hd died, and it was just full of shrapnel - the pawls that provide the ratchet effect had just crumbled - that'll teach me to mess about with Deore - since upgrading to XT i've had no problems :wink:
  • emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Of the five bikes I currently own, the two single-speeds are my faves.

One is a Cannonade Single-Speed 29er mountain bike - it is awesome to ride as it rolls over anything.

The other is a Steel framed fixie that now has more miles on it than my Tri-Bike......
  • HelenKiller
    Options
    fixed.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm late to the party, but I have a SS mountain bike... been wanting a fixie for a while, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
  • krue1971
    krue1971 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have singled up my old Fuel 90 dual suspension mtb, it's a fun ride. Comfortable and I've not had any trouble with the chain tensioner and 3" travel rear suspension.
  • emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    This is my Single-Speed money-pit

9572099243_d5539da77d_z.jpg

There is almost nothing that I have not replaced in it at least once.

It WAS a 2012 SE Draft.

It is now an SE Draft frame with:
    Carbon Forks
    Fancy Wheels
    FSA Crankset
    Carbon Seatpost
    Revo Seat
    Aero Bullhorns
    Chris King Headset
    ITM Stem
    44/15 gearing
    SRAM Apex and Techno brakes with Cane Creek levers.
    etc......

It is light and fast and has cost a fortune to build thus far...

I know have enough spares to build another single speed as I even have a spare frame :)