Qigong

Options
grassette
grassette Posts: 976 Member
This is the Qigong thread. "Qigong is an ancient Chinese health care system that integrates physical postures, breathing techniques and focused intention. The word Qigong (Chi Kung) is made up of two Chinese words. Qi is pronounced chee and is usually translated to mean the life force or vital-energy that flows through all things in the universe."

I have been doing Qigong for 2 years. We start off with a Tai Chi warm-up that exercises every joint in the body, then we do several Qigong sequences including a sequence that involves six healing sounds that correspond to specific organs in the body, we do static stance meditation, then we finish by beating our accupressure points with a special brush for half an hour.

My Master speaks English with difficulty, but I have found the Wikipedia article to be particularly informative. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qigong
This article includes warnings about bad practice which can trigger pshychosis in some individuals, similar to Kundali in yoga.

Also, I am currently reading The Harvard Medical School Guide to Tai Chi: 12 Weeks to a Healthy Body, Strong Heart, and Sharp Mind (Harvard Health Publications) that I downloaded to my Kindle app on my tablet, which also covers aspects of qigong.

Replies

• RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    @grassette - is there a YouTube video that you would recommend for beginners to try? Like me, not everyone has access to a class with a Qigong master.
  • grassette
    Options
    I have not compared anything on Youtube to my Qigong instruction, so I can't help you there.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    That's OK. I found a couple that I like. Nothing hurts, so I must be doing it OK. I did 3 different YouTube videos yesterday for a total of about 40 minutes. That's all I had time for.

Hubby's taking me to dinner tonight (a rare occasion), so probably no more exercise for me tonight.
  • grassette
    Options
    Can you share those that you follow? It would be interesting to see what they are. There is sure a lot of different instruction out there.
  • clippergear
    clippergear Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I ordered Qi Gong For Beginners by Chris Pei from Amazon. I also ordered his Tai Chi for Beginners. They should be here this weekend. I'll let you all know how they are once I have used them for a while.