missing a training run?

Options
ninav1980
ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
Hello friends

Need your advice....

Im training for a marathon (my first) scheduled for January 17th (5 weeks from today)

I just completed my 20 mile run and I have a 13 mile scheduled for this weekend ( Dec 19th) The following weekend I plan on doing 22 miles (Dec 26th) Tapering down after my 22 miles

Unfortunately I wont be able to make my 13 mile run this weekend. I can only fit in a 6 mile run on Saturday. Is this gonna completely mess me up when I attempt my 22 miles the following weekend?? I know I can still do it, but I guess I just need some opinions from other runners. I HATE messing with my training schedule but this is the one time I have to rearrange.

Thanks for any advice!!!

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Won't hurt a thing. Don't worry about it.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    If you ran 20 Saturday, running 6 instead of 13 next Saturday is no big deal. If you have the time, you could do your 13 on Sunday instead; but it's better to just let it go than to cram too much into your life. In particular, if getting the miles interferes with getting enough sleep, sleep needs to win.

Then you'll run your 22 miles on the 26th, and you'll feel much better about things. Having a bit more of a cut back than the training plan calls for won't hurt a thing.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    If this is your first marathon, you might actually feel stronger with a 6 mile run before your 22-miler next weekend because you have a little more recovery time after your 20-miler.
  • ninav1980
    Options
    thanks guys!! I feel better now about just getting in my 6 miles.

@ pobalita, good point, this might actually be a good recovery week making my long run that much better.

• glevinso
    Options
    Having a successful marathon is all about the ~600-1000 miles you run in training, not about any one run. You could skip that 22 mile run and still do just fine (not that I would suggest it), assuming all your other training has gone well.

The 13 mile "long" run this week between last week's 20 and next week's 22 is simply built in as a rest week. So running 6 is "just as good" from a training value perspective as the 13 since it is supposed to be easier than the previous week, or the next week.
  • ninav1980
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Having a successful marathon is all about the ~600-1000 miles you run in training, not about any one run. You could skip that 22 mile run and still do just fine (not that I would suggest it), assuming all your other training has gone well.

The 13 mile "long" run this week between last week's 20 and next week's 22 is simply built in as a rest week. So running 6 is "just as good" from a training value perspective as the 13 since it is supposed to be easier than the previous week, or the next week.

thank you!! As you know, much of this training is all mental, so missing what is supposed to be my 13 mile run mentally works against me just the same, lol. It slightly stresses me out. But I see what you are saying. All my training runs to date have been good. I've finally got my nutrition and hydration perfected so I think I am gonna be able to hit my longest run feeling strong.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I would actually skip the 22 miler and focus more on the tapering. That 22 mile run won't help you much at this point in time. The risk of overtraining is 10x more important than under training.

Run the 13 miler then the 6 miler. You make room for this by skipping the 22 miler.
  • glevinso
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    I would actually skip the 22 miler and focus more on the tapering. That 22 mile run won't help you much at this point in time. The risk of overtraining is 10x more important than under training.

Run the 13 miler then the 6 miler. You make room for this by skipping the 22 miler.

Depends on how taxing the 22 miles will be. Some of that depends on speed (and thus time spent running) but some of that really just depends on how well a person recovers. A 22 mile run on 12/26 still leaves three FULL weeks of taper, which is more than enough to back down the intensity and recover.

If the 20 beat you up badly, then perhaps rethinking 22 is a good idea. However having a four week taper is not really a good idea. You *WILL* lose fitness. For what it's worth I personally tend to do terribly with long tapers. Two weeks max for me or I start to feel like a slug. And that applies to tapering for a marathon or even a full Ironman. I'll run 22 miles only 2 weeks out, then 12 miles the weekend before the race. Any more of a taper and I come to race day feeling heavy and slow.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

Depends on how taxing the 22 miles will be. Some of that depends on speed (and thus time spent running) but some of that really just depends on how well a person recovers. A 22 mile run on 12/26 still leaves three FULL weeks of taper, which is more than enough to back down the intensity and recover.

If the 20 beat you up badly, then perhaps rethinking 22 is a good idea. However having a four week taper is not really a good idea. You *WILL* lose fitness. For what it's worth I personally tend to do terribly with long tapers. Two weeks max for me or I start to feel like a slug. And that applies to tapering for a marathon or even a full Ironman. I'll run 22 miles only 2 weeks out, then 12 miles the weekend before the race. Any more of a taper and I come to race day feeling heavy and slow.

Ahhh... for some reason I thought she said she only had 3 weeks left.

Now I am following her. She has the weeks, but she can only do 6 instead of the 13.
    [Sorry, I had to re-read what she wrote.]

Yeah, this is a cutback week for her then. 20-13-22-then taper. I got it now.
    Then yes, what everyone said. Doing 6 instead of the 13 won't hurt you. it's a cutback week. The idea is to allow your body to absorb the previous training before you progress onto the 22.

Now to adress over tapering which is what @glevinso is saying. I had a decision to make after my HM test trial. I usually run the Huntsville Half (which is normally scheduled for the closest Saturday to Veteran's day) as my time trial to the Rocket City Marathon (which was this past weekend).

I get into the situation that the week after the Half ends up being the last week of hard training. But if I race the half (because it is my time trial) I will need to recover from the half before I get back into my training. So I am in a situation where either:

A: I force myself to train harder than I am supposed to and train when I need to recover
    B: I allow myself to recover from the recent half but end up loosing that final week of training and end up with a 4 week taper instead of a 3 week taper

This is what i had to decide on this year. The Monday morning after my Half I was really sore but had 10 miles scheduled. I ended up skipping my morning run, but later on in the evening went out for an easy 6. I then did my tempo run that Tuesday a little slower than normal even though i was sore, and slowly made up the miles I missed Monday later on in the week. This has nothing to do with the OP's situation. But just to acknowldge what @glevinso is saying.
  • ninav1980
    Options
    thanks for everyones guidance.

I have been training since July, so I have had a chance to build up to my long runs with no injury. When I did my 20 miles last Saturday, I felt fine, no problems. The next day my body felt fine, no soreness, pain, etc... I didnt feel like I even ran at all.

So as far as the under/overtapering...

My long run schedule is as follows

6 miles-This weekend
    22 miles-Dec 26
    14 miles-Jan 2
    9 miles-Jan 9<---- not sure about this distance. Still deciding as I might need to increase.
    MARATHON-JANUARY 17TH!!!!

^^^^^
    Does this look like a good idea?

I know there are a ton of ideas out there and suggested training plans. I took a little from each and modified for my needs.

• glevinso
    edited December 2015
    Options
    ninav1980 wrote: »
    thanks for everyones guidance.

I have been training since July, so I have had a chance to build up to my long runs with no injury. When I did my 20 miles last Saturday, I felt fine, no problems. The next day my body felt fine, no soreness, pain, etc... I didnt feel like I even ran at all.

So as far as the under/overtapering...

My long run schedule is as follows

6 miles-This weekend
    22 miles-Dec 26
    14 miles-Jan 2
    9 miles-Jan 9<---- not sure about this distance. Still deciding as I might need to increase.
    MARATHON-JANUARY 17TH!!!!

^^^^^
    Does this look like a good idea?

I know there are a ton of ideas out there and suggested training plans. I took a little from each and modified for my needs.

Looks fine to me. I wouldn't worry about that 9 miler. Don't change it except to make it SHORTER if you want. Not longer though.

Do you have any other experience to draw from regarding tapers? I know from my experience at this point I don't do well with a 3 week taper.

For my last marathon I actually ran a full marathon 2 weeks before it (but stopped actually running at pace at 22 miles, and easy walk/jogged the last 4 miles). Then ran 12 the weekend right before.