Anyone have trouble with fat brain?

Options
I know that I am losing weight, but sometimes I still feel like I am still always gonna be fat. The reason I decided to lose weight is because I look and feel horrible.

Now I am doing well but I still realize that I am really overweight and will be for a while until I lose weight. It has gotten so bad that I want to stay inside. Any tips?

Replies

• brigit628
    brigit628 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It's called distorted body image. I had when I lost 60 pounds and was down to 140, I still felt like I was 200+ pounds. Baggy shirts, jeans, nothing form fitting. Now that I have gained all that weight back it seems that the inverse is true also. As the pounds started creeping back on I didn't really notice, I thought I was bloated, or it was water weight. Lol, so went from thin thinking I was heavy to heavy and not comprehending that size 18 jeans are not what a thin person wears. Until you look at yourself in a full length mirror. No lies there.
    My advice, get out there and live your life. *kitten* size. Do people laugh at me as I walk around a track sweating my butt off? Yeah, they do. Turn on some music and block the negativity. In reality getting off the computer will make you feel better. Promise :smile:
  • wennim
    wennim Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My only advice to you is to find some sort of physical activity you enjoy that gets you out of your house. Focus on yourself while you are doing it. Really listen to your body and how it is feeling. Focus on how you are feeling not how you are looking. I ended up having to get help to deal with my anxiety about being in public but it was a little bit of an extreme case.

140 lbs down and I still go out of my way to avoid tight aisle, stop first in the plus size section, and really have no concept of how I look now. At my heaviest I didn't want to leave the house either, which in turn made it easier to eat and not move which led to me getting bigger. Making myself get out more was a big part in my early success.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I just hit a roadblock myself. I realized I'm terrified to lose much more weight. I've never been this weight as an actual adult in a healthy way. It has been 15 years since I've been where I'm at, and it is a different landscape now. This crap is foreign and scary and overwhelming in a way it wasn't when I was 20 a blithely flying through life. Much like a 2 year old has fears a 6 month old doesn't because he/she understands more about the world, we're the same. We didn't fully understand adult reality when we were flush with youth.

And so now, everything is so much more intense because we isolate ourselves. When we isolate ourselves, we become the whole universe, and everything is distorted. My suggestion would be to get out and do something that isn't about you. Volunteer in a soup kitchen and youth program or a church. Do something that is focus on what your heart and soul can do - not so much what your body or wallet can do... When you lose the focus of intensity on yourself as the central and sole facet of your own world/universe/etc., you'll start to regain some perspective.

And even if you're married or have kids or whatever, or distorted sense of self is still central to our warped universe... Forcing ourselves out of that bubble, even if only in our heads, is the only way I see to regain perspective, our sense of self, and eventually, a grip on reality again...
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I just realized that, ironically, I make myself realize things when I'm writing to help others...

I make my best strides when I'm doing something for someone else.

Writing this made me realize that all the fears I'm facing at the moment are because I sucked myself back into my own personal black hole pity party again...

Wow. Stunned into silence here.