Fat for the win! (a novella ;) )

Options
macchiatto
macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
Some of you might remember me posting about how I struggled ever since starting a new MS med with eating lower carb. The new med caused a lot of GI issues and my stomach could only be settled by eating moderate carbs, not low carbs, especially with my breakfast dose. I tried LCHF for a while but it was pretty moderate; the carbs were 80-100gm/day. It didn't seem to help my stomach issues and didn't lose weight over time. I gained 20 lbs over the course of a year and whenever I would try to go back to my trusty old Dukan Diet to lose weight, my stomach would rebel, I'd eat more carbs, fall off the wagon and gain more. I struggled so much, too, with hunger and cravings.

After 2 months on keto, I realized that I've had barely any GI issues since I started. I think the big difference is low*er* carbs and high*er* fat than what I'd tried before, and definitely more fat than Dukan allowed! In 2 months I've lost 17 of the 20 lbs I'd gained, I fit back into a lot of my clothes from before, I no longer "need" something carby/starchy with my morning dose of the med, I'm less hungry and I have far fewer carb cravings. As an added bonus the joint achiness I'd started having in recent months hasn't showed up since I started keto. I had some delays in switching to a different MS med and now I'm not sure I need to; more fat seems to be helping my GI system handle this med better than more carbs ever did!

Now, of course my cycle is all wonky since starting keto (on Dukan it was more regular) but hopefully that will work its way out again soon, too. :)

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I noticed the same issues with me and Metformin. Once I dropped to much lower carb levels, the medicinal side effect complications receded. Cycles leveled out eventually too.