date consumption and the effects on labor

Options
jenluvsushi
jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
A while back someone on here started a thread about date consumption and the effects on labor. At the bottom there is a copy and paste of the article. Well, in the original thread I had promised a date recipe I had and I finally remembered to post it today...of course now I can't find the original thread so I had to start this one.

The recipe is actually from Chocolatecoveredkatie.com. She has several date based recipes so you might want to check out her site.....I love her!

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/04/11/girl-scout-samoas-in-larabar-form/

I made these Samoas (yes....like the girl scout cookie!) for Christmas for my SIL who has celiac disease. They were FANTASTIC and super easy. The only tweaking I did to Katie's recipe is that I coated my hands in coconut oil prior to rolling the balls which helped them from sticking to my skin. Enjoy!

Packed 1/2 cup dates (90g)
2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut (30g)
1/16 tsp pure vanilla extract
scant 1/8 tsp salt
1-2 tbsp chocolate chips or bar (14-28g)

Put all the ingredients together in your food processor, and blend. (I like to make 1/2 a batch and use the Magic Bullet short cup.) You can reserve a few of the chocolate chips to add, post-blending, if you so desire. See below for nutrition information.

Serving Size: 45 grams (the size of a Larabar)

175 calories
8 g fat
2 g protein
5 g fiber
0 g added sugars

And here is the article:

The effect of late pregnancy consumption of date fruit on labour and delivery.
Al-Kuran O, Al-Mehaisen L, Bawadi H, Beitawi S, Amarin Z.
Source
Jordan University of Science and Technology, Irbid, Jordan. oqba@yahoo.com
Abstract
We set out to investigate the effect of date fruit (Phoenix dactylifera) consumption on labor parameters and delivery outcomes. Between 1 February 2007 and 31 January 2008 at Jordan University of Science and Technology, a prospective study was carried out on 69 women who consumed six date fruits per day for 4 weeks prior to their estimated date of delivery, compared with 45 women who consumed none. There was no significant difference in gestational age, age and parity between the two groups. The women who consumed date fruit had significantly higher mean cervical dilatation upon admission compared with the non-date fruit consumers (3.52 cm vs 2.02 cm, p < 0.0005), and a significantly higher proportion of intact membranes (83% vs 60%, p = 0.007). Spontaneous labor occurred in 96% of those who consumed dates, compared with 79% women in the non-date fruit consumers (p = 0.024). Use of prostin/oxytocin was significantly lower in women who consumed dates (28%), compared with the non-date fruit consumers (47%) (p = 0.036). The mean latent phase of the first stage of labor was shorter in women who consumed date fruit compared with the non-date fruit consumers (510 min vs 906 min, p = 0.044). It is concluded that the consumption of date fruit in the last 4 weeks before labor significantly reduced the need for induction and augmentation of labour, and produced a more favorable, but non-significant, delivery outcome. The results warrant a randomized controlled trial.

Don't know about any of you....but I'm gonna be downing some dates starting at 36 weeks!

Replies

• aprilkida
    aprilkida Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting!!! I love seeing the research data behind it!
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    thank you I have been looking for that thread for so long since reading it the first time.... I have been trying to find the article online at very least... no luck i didn't have enough key terms for searching....
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I posted the original one but never got around to buying dates, so I can't back up my post, unfortunately! Suffice it to say that my second labor was about a third as long as my first... Super fast and smooth. The L&D nurses said they wished everyone's labor were like mine. Anyway, even if I'd eaten dates, I'd never have known if they were the cause of my quick labor or if it was just because second labors tend to be much faster than the first.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting. I am not crazy about dates, but I will do anything to speed things along. Started eating them a few days ago and I have hopefully only 2 weeks to go!
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Here is another really interesting study on dates, not just before labor to reduce birthing time, but right after birth to stop post delivery hemorrhaging. Apparently it is more effective to stop/slow bleeding after birth then getting that thigh shot of Oxycontin. I am going to try this, bring some dates to the hospital with me and eat them right after delivery and the midwife is ok with it :) I only want my Oxycontin shot if i really need it. Here is the study link: http://semj.sums.ac.ir/vol8/apr2007/dates.htm

I've been eating some dates since about 2 weeks ago although not regularly, but since I just hit my 36 week mark I will start doing it every day from now on. I also ordered some organic red raspberry tea leaves on etsy (cheapest source for them that I found) and will drink that tea as well, it is also supposed to speed up labor according to several people, this blog post has some personal experiences and studies referenced: http://misskalypso.wordpress.com/2011/07/04/red-raspberry-leaf-tea/
  • jenluvsushi
    Options
    Here is another really interesting study on dates, not just before labor to reduce birthing time, but right after birth to stop post delivery hemorrhaging. Apparently it is more effective to stop/slow bleeding after birth then getting that thigh shot of Oxycontin. I am going to try this, bring some dates to the hospital with me and eat them right after delivery and the midwife is ok with it :) I only want my Oxycontin shot if i really need it. Here is the study link: http://semj.sums.ac.ir/vol8/apr2007/dates.htm

I've been eating some dates since about 2 weeks ago although not regularly, but since I just hit my 36 week mark I will start doing it every day from now on. I also ordered some organic red raspberry tea leaves on etsy (cheapest source for them that I found) and will drink that tea as well, it is also supposed to speed up labor according to several people, this blog post has some personal experiences and studies referenced: http://misskalypso.wordpress.com/2011/07/04/red-raspberry-leaf-tea/

Good to know about eating them after birth as well....what I really care about this time around is staying the heck off of Pitocin. I had to get induced last time and it was horrible! With this pregnancy, I am really hoping to avoid any type of medication actually. With the Pitocin and all the fluids they pumped into me last time, I left the hospital post natal weighing 5 pounds MORE than when I went in at 41 weeks pregnant! I was so swollen they had to put me in compression garments. I am praying for a much faster, natural delivery this time. So glad I remembered my recipe.....I will be eating them for sure!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    MMMMM this makes me want to have date
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Wow, I didn't know they put that much fluid into people, that is crazy! You must have felt horrible for a long time :( My births have always been natural and I always wanted laughing gas (NO2). It just kind of relaxed me between contractions.. My labors are SO intense, about 3 mins of contraction 1 min off which is probably why they're pretty quick around 4 hours each. But it really doesn't give me a break lol. I am hoping that the dates/red tea leaves will make it even shorter and maybe less painful.

Good to know about eating them after birth as well....what I really care about this time around is staying the heck off of Pitocin. I had to get induced last time and it was horrible! With this pregnancy, I am really hoping to avoid any type of medication actually. With the Pitocin and all the fluids they pumped into me last time, I left the hospital post natal weighing 5 pounds MORE than when I went in at 41 weeks pregnant! I was so swollen they had to put me in compression garments. I am praying for a much faster, natural delivery this time. So glad I remembered my recipe.....I will be eating them for sure!
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    and they are high in iron.... just found out I'm anemic I will be 30 weeks on Monday so time to start eating some..... (it will not be 6 a day, I need to try them and work up from there.... although Chocolate covered Katie has some delicious looking recipes!!!! search her site for dates.) Thanks to the original poster for suggesting her recipe for the samosa ones mmmmm looks good to bad I am trying to stay off chocolate.
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Bumped up
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Definitely going to follow this thread.. interesting info :smile:
  • jenluvsushi
    Options
    @ Enediyne-How about bleeding time afterwards? They are supposed to help with recovery as well.
  • hiba_84
    hiba_84 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread thanks for sharing. Dates are very popular where i come from and they highly recommend them for nursing moms because of their benefits in enhancing milk supply. I don't have a study to support that though.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Never heard of this before!

They suggest drinking raspberry leaf tea in England from 36 weeks, it's supposed to soften your cervix.

Although both my babies have been late, I've had easy labours.

My son was 10 days late. My waters broke the evening before, but no contractions. Contractions started the next morning. I arrived at hospital 10cm dilated. Got gas and air for pushing. Labour was about 7 hours I guess. I didn't even need stitches.

My daughter was 12 days late and induced. Labour was 4 hours 21 mins, start to finish. I had gas and air from around 8cm dilated.Pushed for 5 minutes. No stitches needed. We went home 5 hours later.
  • tinybry
    tinybry Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I started eating 6 dates a day at 36 weeks this time. First delivery ( no dates) was 7hrs 15 mins from waters breaking to deliver y and of this 3 1/2 hours of stage 1 and 29 mins of stage 2 (pushing)

This second labour was 3 hours 40 mins from waters breakingvto delivery of which 34 mins were stage 1 and 7 mins stage 2. I have no idea how much thecdates contributed!
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    1st pregnancy:
    No date consumption
    Induced labor - 2 weeks beyond my due date
    Once waters broke, 4 hours of active labor, 15 minutes of pushing
    2nd degree tear
    Heavy, heavy bleeding and blood clot issues

2nd pregnancy:
    6 dates per day beginning at 33 weeks
    Induced labor - 8 days beyond due date and uterus not growing properly with baby
    Once waters broke, 1 hour of active labor and 2 pushes
    2nd degree tear
    Minimal bleeding, no blood clot issues and uterus went back to shape very quickly according to OB

I'm not sure if the date consumption helped anything but I'd like to think it did (:
  • lieselLalor
    lieselLalor Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    This is so interesting! Even if it doesn't actually speed anything up its worth a try because there is no harm done to you right? I'm definitely going to have to remember this.
  • cleaneater80
    cleaneater80 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Great read. Will bump for when I'm further along
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    When did y'all start eating dates?
    I am 33weeks now and can't think of any reason why it would hurt to start eating them.