Chat and Accoutnability 3- 9 Jan

Options
Hmrjmr1
Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
HAppy Monday Folks! It's cooled off here in GA for a bit nice 40 deg morning with the moon still high overhead. Great walking weather. Hope its all well with all of you.

Replies

• Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Well got a few mins before I head out to work, so thought I'd update on my 2016 projects/missions.

Happiness project as some of you know I started this in November, it has become part of my morning meditation; I write down one thing I am thankful for each day and a thought for the day and mail it to one of 14 folks I have addresses for. It makes me Happy to do this and I am hoping (so far the feedback is positive) that it does the same for the folks receiving them. If you are not receiving them and would like to, IM me your address and I will throw your name in the bowl. I can still add 7 or so more folks.

Fitness Training Plan to add a Senior Fitness Certification this year.

My Fitness and Sport Entering two competitions this year National Veterans Golden Age Games in Detroit in July and Ga Golden Olympics in September.

Arts and Crafts Enter paintings or other projects in Both Local and National Veterans Art Festival, and respond to the invitation I just received for the Dublin Ga Guggenheim Annex Art Contest. Do more projects with my D Ward guys and expand the program for both our higher and lower functioning patients.

Live Healthy or more accurately find out more about what that actually is for me.

Not a lot to it all really, All are achievable, and allow for a lot of flexibility. I have intentionally omitted any numeric values, and plenty of room for some intermediate/short term missions or projects.

TTFN
  • heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Hurt my back. It sucks!!! I need help for so many things, mainly things that requires me to bend down..

John, I love receiving your notes.
    On the Arts and Crafts front I bet if you reach out to quilters group, they'd be more than happy to make lap quilts for your guys. There is also a program called "quilts or valor" that veterans can sign up to receive quilts.
  • heronh
    Options
    Back is feeling so much better! Muscle relaxer, heavy pain pills, herbal salve and rest all helped. Going to do some body weight workout and yoga today. Probably that's my plan for the week before I pick up my kettlebells again.

I am super excited about SHOT show!! Arturo and I are going to take a pistol class taught by John Farnam at Rifle dynamics Which Arturo organized, I'm so proud of him. And we are having dinner with the Farnams.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Heron Bummer on the back but glad you are getting some relief. See how ya feel but might want to give it two weeks. The quilts is a great idea and we have several organizations that do that for our 300 patients, every Christmas. Every vet ends up with three or four new blankets usually two are handmade quilts, and the other two big fuzzies.
    Shot show and dinner sound like a (yep gonna say it) BLAST! Have loads of FUN!
    Have a Happy Tuesday night. TTFN

• Hmrjmr1
    Options
    just checkin in Happy Thursday Folks.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Happy Friday Hope all is well with all of you.
  • heronh
    Options
    No change in weight. I'm still 15lb heavier from last year, the highest I've been in a while, yet the clothes still fits so.... I'm going to be really vilgilant about my calories and carbs. See if that helps.
  • heronh
    Options
    My back is better but my knee is acting up. Lol. Oh I really gotta take better care of my joints. I'm only 36, if I'm having this much trouble I'm in trouble when I get older. But I have high hopes for science, we are so close to using our own cells to grow ligaments.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Happy Saturday Folks! Hope all is well with all of you.

Heron Tough going on the back and knees. I feel your pain. My success on the weight front is I think a combination of a modified Altshift/carb back-loading type diet. I randomize the 3 and 5 shifts. Not sure the science would support that but I spent a long time reviewing my logs from my earlier success, and I had a tendency to do that mostly based on what my body was sort of telling me it needed. Back then I didn't have a grasp of cleaner carbs so used some less than optimum foods but never the less it worked for the first 70 lbs used from when I weighed 357. Didn't really plateau until I started using more 'formal' plans. That being said I did some stuff that probably contributed to my kidney issues as well. Learned my lesson about wearing sauna suits to bed.
    A couple other things that I think have helped, I take Ashwiganda root and I do think my meditation and 'Happy Project' are helping as well, not sure of the mechanism but I know I feel better mentally than I have since Zena and Johnny died. It's been a long climb out of fairly dark place. Feel like I'm back standing on the grass again. Doing my paintings seem to help as well but its too early in my process to know that for sure.
    I have also been using my Fitbit, to evaluate my daily HR, and have found that my average HR before Nov 17th was around 64-66 BPM with sleeping lows in the lower 50's and exervise highs approaching 140 but mostly in the 120's in mid November I decided to stand more when I could and have increased my avg HR to around 70-72 BPM, sleep still in the low 50's and I try to make sure when I exercise to keep it under 130. Been on 3 weeks of rest (more or less) and fixing to bump it up in the weeks ahead. Should be interesting.

Have a great day Folks

TTFN
  • ActiveAmyLynn
    ActiveAmyLynn Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Heron sorry to hear about your knee and back. Glad to hear your back's feeling better. I tore my hamstring tendon 3 months ago. I was doing Bulgarian bag training for the first time with my personal training classmates and professor. I felt my tendon rip at my pelvis but didn't stop working out. I'm kicking myself now for not stopping immediately and RICE'ing. Injuries really mess with your head, don't they! Even though I know injuries are inevitable, I ruminate over what I did wrong/why I injured myself/how much more I could do if I didn't get injured or have arthritis, etc. Anyway I'm going to work on accepting my limitations and focusing on what I CAN do, not what I can't.
    HJ what type of meditation do you do? I'd love to see one of your paintings!!
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Happy Saturday Folks, got the lawn mowed and have played with some water colors today.
    czyviucwe1s2.jpg

The ones on the left are cards for the Happiness Project I try to get enough done on the weekend so I can gewt through the week, DEon't always get that many done but the effort is there.