Say Hello!

Options

Replies

• Nousheenh
    Nousheenh Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    provon wrote: »
    Nousheenh wrote: »
    Really happy to see this group, we have the privilege of taking care of others however work in an environment that makes self care very difficult. So much so that only other healthcare workers really realize the crazy hours and sleepless nights we think is normal. I am an MD in the NICU which comes with crazy call schedules...making routine a bit difficult. I am at the beginning of the journey though and hope to lose at least 50lbs and change the trajectory of my life towards healthy clean eating.

Nice to meet you , Nousheenh, I know how hard and stressful the NI is, much harder than my primary care office job. I am kick starting my sugar detox doing whole30 this month.
    Nicole

Hello Nicole, just saw your message, days later I am afraid. Icu can be crazy and has lead to years of yo yo weight gain and the two pregnancies didn't help for sure. Now I am simply trying to find a balance with food until the next dreaded board exam looming ahead. Hopefully I will start incorporating more workout after this exam. I must admit the hardest part is we take calls, which totally throws the next day off...and the schedule isn't consistent week to week. Find that us one my biggest struggle dealing with constantly changing schedule. But I am glad to to on Mfp, since I started to partake in the community if like minded individuals supporting each other, I have found it so much more fun.
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hello everyone! Here's my late self intro :p I'm a dentist and am trying to be fit. I've spent about 8-9 years losing around 15 lb (around 16 years to lose 22 lb in total) and am currently close to my goal weight. Now I'm in the process of learning how to do more weight-training (at home, cuz I haven't found a good gym near me). It's so different from my 5-times-per-week cardio and hopefully I'll see some results! I do find weight-training helpful for my posture (to sit straight) since I tend to tilt myself to whatever angle I need to see the patients...

Really happy to join a place like this! :D
  • PamOliva
    PamOliva Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! Here's my late self intro :p I'm a dentist and am trying to be fit. I've spent about 8-9 years losing around 15 lb (around 16 years to lose 22 lb in total) and am currently close to my goal weight. Now I'm in the process of learning how to do more weight-training (at home, cuz I haven't found a good gym near me). It's so different from my 5-times-per-week cardio and hopefully I'll see some results! I do find weight-training helpful for my posture (to sit straight) since I tend to tilt myself to whatever angle I need to see the patients...

Really happy to join a place like this! :D

Welcome! And congrats on your progress. I love weights too and also work out at home with very basic equipment. No hassle going to the gym so it's great.

~Pam

• julie2038
    julie2038 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I've been an RN for 25 years. I have worked 23 years in labor and delivery. I'm married with two boys in college. I have been on MFP logging everyday since June 16, 2015. I have lost 58 pounds. I have 12 pounds to get to my goal. It took me 20 years to figure out how to care for myself. I take care of my kids, husband and patients, but now it's my time. I'm important too!
  • PamOliva
    Options
    julie2038 wrote: »
    I've been an RN for 25 years. I have worked 23 years in labor and delivery. I'm married with two boys in college. I have been on MFP logging everyday since June 16, 2015. I have lost 58 pounds. I have 12 pounds to get to my goal. It took me 20 years to figure out how to care for myself. I take care of my kids, husband and patients, but now it's my time. I'm important too!

WOW, what an inspiring message Julie! Thank you for sharing and joining our group. :)

~Pam
  • allysar
    allysar Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I love seeing everyone here is working hard to be healthier for themselves and their families and ultimately be a rile model for their patients. I have inspired 's few of the nurses I work with. (all 20-30 years my junior) to start their weight loss journeys as well. They said if I can lose weight at my age they sure can lol.

Oh..... Sadly it is Girl Scout cookie time and the moms are all hawking their wares to the staff. I will not buy any but did eat one lemon cookie the other night. It was delicious! But I tracked it and moved on!
  • mcspeight
    mcspeight Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone...my name is Matt. I'm an LPN. I work full time on a locked psych unit. I've been over weight for as long as I can remember and this past fall when I tried to weigh my self on the old fashion balance scales at work I couldn't get my weight so the next day I went and bought a digital scale and found out my weight was over 350 lbs. Since then I've been Dx with sleep apnea and started using a CPAP,as well as prediabetes....I've been seeing a dietitian and using a MFP for accountability well the treadmill and lost 8 pounds in 2 weeks....last week I started on Saxenda too..I'm hoping that helps because my next step is a gastric sleeve.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    mcspeight wrote: »
    Hi everyone...my name is Matt. I'm an LPN. I work full time on a locked psych unit. I've been over weight for as long as I can remember and this past fall when I tried to weigh my self on the old fashion balance scales at work I couldn't get my weight so the next day I went and bought a digital scale and found out my weight was over 350 lbs. Since then I've been Dx with sleep apnea and started using a CPAP,as well as prediabetes....I've been seeing a dietitian and using a MFP for accountability well the treadmill and lost 8 pounds in 2 weeks....last week I started on Saxenda too..I'm hoping that helps because my next step is a gastric sleeve.

Good luck Matt, you can do it. My hubby had a band and a good friend has a sleeve. They are good tools just remember you have to deal with your head. We are here to support you!
  • allysar
    allysar Posts: 87 Member
    Options

You can do this Matt! There is so much support and guidance here. Your health is worth the effort.
  • provon
    provon Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    lariel2005 wrote: »
    Hello! :) thanx for inviting me to This Group. I am a dentist, and it is not a Very physical Job, I spend most of the day sitting... I hope to Get in shape to allow me to keep my Job for many years.

Welcome. Hope
    Hi! I'm April. Labour and Delivery Nurse for 15 years, Care Facilitator for 4.5 years.

I am a stress eater, the last time I saw Onederland was in 1996. Nursing school and poor eating packed on 40, working straight nights, a horrible marriage a divorce packed on 40. The remaining 20 came via a fabulous marriage, a deployment, 2 great kids and being in charge.

I'm 38. I want to be fab and 40 more than I want cake. I've got two years to get 120 lbs gone, and I'm down 8 and into week 3. This is not my first time at MFP, but it is my time being honest about why I eat, and exploring how I eat.

Good luck Matt. I worked as a mental health tech many years ago before med school. Stressful job! Sounds like you are off to a great start.
    Nicole
  • provon
    Options
    Hello! I am Ryan and I am a Medical Assistant, working in pediatric primary care, and also a Public Health student. Finishing up a Bachelor's to move on to med school? PA school? Don't know yet. I lost 120# over the first 3 years in the field, and then I moved, quit my job, got depressed, etc etc got fat again. I am looking to lose 90ish. Just feel/look/live more heathfully.

Go for it Ryan! Great health and a great career. Welcome!
    Nicole
  • PamOliva
    Options

Welcome Matt! So glad you're here. I like your plan. Readiness, a plan of action and just putting one foot in front of the other will get you there. I also worked in the mental health field (and a locked unit) for 6 years as part of my nursing career. It's intense. Keep coming back. ~Pam :)
  • Bluwaves1
    Bluwaves1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm a RN and I work at a prison. I started out at 288, now down to 277. I was in the 240's 2 years ago and pretty happy about my weight. Going on vacation in 7 days so I hope to lose a few more pounds. Next vacation is the first week in April, so I hope to be in the 250's. Not sure exactly why I lost interest and regained what I'd lost 2 years ago but here I am again. I used MFP the first time and became a fixture at the local gym. Anyway I lost 70 pounds last time, still have 'new clothes' waiting for me and I am now very motivated!!
  • PamOliva
    Options
    Bluwaves1 wrote: »
    Hello, I'm a RN and I work at a prison. I started out at 288, now down to 277. I was in the 240's 2 years ago and pretty happy about my weight. Going on vacation in 7 days so I hope to lose a few more pounds. Next vacation is the first week in April, so I hope to be in the 250's. Not sure exactly why I lost interest and regained what I'd lost 2 years ago but here I am again. I used MFP the first time and became a fixture at the local gym. Anyway I lost 70 pounds last time, still have 'new clothes' waiting for me and I am now very motivated!!

Glad you're back. You sound super motivated. Good luck & keep checking in. I think you're our first prison RN here. We have quite an interesting variety of health careers here. Cheers! :)
  • oofdieblunk
    oofdieblunk Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Greetings everyone! Speech Language Pathologist here! Lost 50 lbs approximately 2 years ago and have gained it all back and then some! Ready to take a crack at this again and would love support!!
  • provon
    Options
    Greetings everyone! Speech Language Pathologist here! Lost 50 lbs approximately 2 years ago and have gained it all back and then some! Ready to take a crack at this again and would love support!!

Welcome. It is hard to face doing things over. Great job on coming back.
  • oofdieblunk
    oofdieblunk Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! I look forward to coming here!!
  • hev481
    hev481 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Second year med student checking in! Getting very close to goal weight now and have pretty much got the food part figured out but am working on making exercise more of a habit with classes and now board studying this semester. Definitely don't want to backtrack on the progress I've made over the last six month or so!

I know everything will get more difficult to balance (but more fun :smile: ) once I begin rotations in May, so I want to get a solid lock on maintenance mode now.
  • provon
    Options
    hev481 wrote: »
    Second year med student checking in! Getting very close to goal weight now and have pretty much got the food part figured out but am working on making exercise more of a habit with classes and now board studying this semester. Definitely don't want to backtrack on the progress I've made over the last six month or so!

I know everything will get more difficult to balance (but more fun :smile: ) once I begin rotations in May, so I want to get a solid lock on maintenance mode now.

Welcome. I had a hard time fitting in exercise in med school too. It gets easier! Great job getting the eating part on track. Personally, I think that is the much harder and bigger piece!
  • johannasmfp
    johannasmfp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Joanna, I'm a medical doctor and managed to gain another 20lbs during my ER rotation. I've always had to put some work into not gaining weight (being slightly overweight my entire life) Right now I'm just finishing up my internship and it's hard sometimes, mainly finding other coping strategies then burgers and red wine after stressful days. ;) It would be nice to connect with other healthcare professionals as well! I do feel like I need to find a different approach to healthy living and taking care of my self given the crazy work hours and the high stress-levels that come with the job. Sometimes I wish I had that gene that made you run 10 miles after a rough day, I however, was really not built like that. :)

Take care all!