Help me understand steps

Options
Can someone please help we understand why I get extra calories to eat when my Fitbit steps are added. I'm confused. Wasn't this already accounted for during my MFP setup? I have read other threads and now I'm even more confused.

Replies

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Did you read the FAQ? If not, read it. If you did, read it again (it's pretty dense with information). Here's a handy link: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy/p1

Short answer for before you read the FAQ. Go to the exercise page of the website. (Or, if you are using the phone app, the diary.) Click on the little 'i' next to "Fitbit Calorie Adjustment". (Or, on the phone app, you touch the adjustment, then you have to touch it again.) You'll see the math that MFP uses to adjust your calories for the activity detected by your Fitbit.

Here's a picture of an old one of mine:

zcttqc2so7hx.jpg

The Fitbit Calories burned is based on the number of calories Fitbit said I'd burned so far that day (not steps, but calories burned, which is the important number). The MyFitnessPal calories burned is the number of calories MFP thinks I'll burn that day based on my stats - age, height, weight, gender, activity level. The difference is additional calories I can eat because I've been more active than my stated activity level. It includes both deliberate exercise and normal daily activity.