Gestational Diabetes

Options
Hi all,

So I am 13 weeks pregnant, started off in the obese category

Replies

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I'm having my sugar test in a little over two weeks. I'll be almost 30 weeks preg.
    do you have GD? My sister got it with both of her pregnancies but a strict diet and a little exercise helped her tremendously.
  • Jariahzmommy
    Jariahzmommy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yeah, normally you have the glucose test later in the pregnancy. I have never failed the hour test, I'll find out if I have it after the 3 hr test. I'm nervous and bummed about it
  • EmmaDetermined
    EmmaDetermined Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have had 3 hours test in all pregnancies before (three of them) as I always have big babies (10 1/2 pound), but they always come back normal. Hoping it will be the same this time - already booked in for a 3 hour test when I am 28 weeks (and an extra growth scan at 34 weeks). From what I understand, getting regular exercise really helps both as prevention and treatment, i have heard some women are asked to exercise (e.g. walk) for 10-15 minutes after each main meal. I am trying not to gain any weight until 20 weeks (start BMI 32.5, now 31.7)
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm normal weight but everyone in my family has Type 2 diabetes so I am trying my best to prevent getting GD. I've been aiming for 10, 000 steps a day and going to the gym 3-4 times a week.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    GD is one of my biggest worries since it seems like it can be random! I didn't get it when I was overweight and unhealthy with my first... but my mother had it with me when she was Active Duty Military at 20 and only a dainty 105 lbs. I've got my one hour test next month and hope the exercise has paid off.

Good luck with the 3 hour test!
  • Spheee
    Spheee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My naturopathic doctor has recommended that I take myo-inositol to prevent GD, she also says it's great for managing GD if you already have it. I'm just waiting to find out about dosage recommendations before I start. I eat a very healthy diet overall, but I love my fruit and that kind of thing, and I really don't want to have to make the diet more strict than it already is. I have two risk factors already, since I'm over 35, and I have a close relative who has diabetes despite being thin and having a reasonable diet.
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I had GD in my last pregnancy. I was on metaformin, 1000mg I think and just made some changes to my diet, watched the carbs in bread , pasta and potatoes but upped my other veg count and my protein count. I wasn't counting calories but I did drop some weight so after birth I was lighter than when I fell pregnant. However after baby was born that's when I put on weight.
    I will be having the gtt test earlier in the pregnancy this time and I guess it's more likely than not it could resurface but have to take it in my stride.
    It's better to be tested and have the doctors look after you, don't worry it is manageable and can be well controlled if you look after yourself.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I was obese in my first two pregnancies - the first about the size I am now, and the second about 35lbs heavier to start. I never ended up with GD and passed both 1 hour tests fine. Eat well, and get your walks in every day. Just because you start heavy does not mean you will end up with GD!
  • EmmaDetermined
    EmmaDetermined Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Update: I am now just about 35 weeks. I had my 3 hour glucose tolerance test and the results came back super duper, so nothing to worry about. I have only gained a couple of pounds and baby is estimated to be 5 lbs now by growth scan.
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Update: I am now just about 35 weeks. I had my 3 hour glucose tolerance test and the results came back super duper, so nothing to worry about. I have only gained a couple of pounds and baby is estimated to be 5 lbs now by growth scan.

Amazing! Good for you :)
  • thegirlwthegreenapple
    thegirlwthegreenapple Posts: 40 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    My mom had GD when she was pregnant for me so my risk is increased. I'm trying to be proactive by controlling my gain and working out, but I agree that it seems random from those I know who've had it, so who knows.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hey @ emmadetermined. Did any of your big babies have blood sugar issues? I only took the hour test with both my boys and passed fine, but with my 2nd he was 10lbs and had blood sugar problems. He was the largest baby in the NICU. Looked like he ate 3 of those other NICU babies for breakfast. I have to get an early 1 hour test this time around 14 weeks and then do another at 24 weeks. Been watching my added sugar intake (not worrying about fruit and dairy) and trying to exercise. I am lighter now though, then when I got pregnant with my 2nd.