Is inconsistency "bad" for training

Options
klove808
klove808 Posts: 346 Member
Did this for a week, really stocked about it. Could tell the difference. Got busy with work and now missed about a week.....is this a bad thing? Not so sure I can be super consistent because I have a rather physical workload sometimes.

Replies

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    It's not ideal. You certainly wont have the same results as you would if you were training 3/4 times a week.

That said, if the choice is between training inconsistently and doing nothing... I would train inconsistently.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I think that it is better than nothing. However you would probably be getting a lot more out of it if you could squeeze in even one workout on your off week, or if you were to stick to lower intensity if it is because your physical workload.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    for me one major motivation to try and go at least 2x a week was the doms. a week now and then isn't the end of the world, and sometimes you even need it to let your body catch up if you've been lifting hard or for a number of months.

but typically you (i) build up a tolerance to that post-workout tenderness after a while. miss a week and you (i) lose that advantage. so then you(i) find your(my)self back at square 1 and hobbling again.

i have been okay with 2x/ week though. my life gets crazy every so often when i'm working. but it seemed like i could keep my chips on the board, so to speak, if i kept doing one workout per weekend and getting in at least once during the week. my day job is completely mental and sedentary, too. yours might give you a little bit of a buffer if it's physical.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    ^^^ my point with the above post is not to beat yourself up too much on the consistency thing, especially in the short term. it is nice if you can arrange it, but the bottom line is your body is doing things you weren't asking from it in the past, and it's going to adapt. so there's leeway.

i touched a barbell for the first time almost 2 years ago, when i was coming up on 49. in that time i can't even count the number of setbacks and periods where i quit to recover from something, or felt like i wasn't lifting effectively, or i wasn't even able to do certain lifts so i just skipped them when i was in. i didn't make linear progress at all. i'm still way way stronger today than i was at the start. even on my 'bad' days now, i lift stuff i didn't know if i could ever even hope for, back at the start of it all. so do what you can; it all counts. just don't quit. it's worth it.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    I would get a Kettlebell at home and do that when you can't lift. It is a good support exercise and takes only 20 minutes.
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughts ya'll. yep. Not really liking the idea of starting all over again and again- doms sucks, although I'm almost starting to like it. ;)

It seems maybe just trying to keep up with some simple body weight excercises in between may be doable. Wasn't sure the body would just get a bit weirded out, like the metabolism changing in the wrong direction, or the body just not building much muscle after awhile from yo-yo-ing.

Never tried kettle bells, I do have some dumbbells, Ive been just going through the excercises with these a bit, although light.