Anyone here have the Garmin magnetless speed sensor? Mine are giving me a fit!

Options
m1xm0d3
m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
I have 2 Garmin magnetless speed sensors and both are giving me a fit with connectivity. My Garmin Edge 500 and Zwift are detecting repeated signal drops. Sometimes like 2 or 3 times within a 10 second span. I un-paired/re-paired, changed the effing expensive batteries, all to no avail. Wondering if I should send Garmin a scathing letter of disapproval and go for the GSC10 or if there are any other speed specific sensors I can replace these POS's with? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    big thread on the subject - have to admit i've not read it as I don't actually have those sensors (still got something like 5 GSC10's kicking around the house!)

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?103783-Any-major-issues-with-Garmin-s-new-magnet-less-speed-cadence-sensors/page9

erratic readings from "magnetized chains" and simply signal loss through distance where using them on the rear hub jumped out at me...

• m1xm0d3
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    big thread on the subject - have to admit i've not read it as I don't actually have those sensors (still got something like 5 GSC10's kicking around the house!)

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?103783-Any-major-issues-with-Garmin-s-new-magnet-less-speed-cadence-sensors/page9

erratic readings from "magnetized chains" and simply signal loss through distance where using them on the rear hub jumped out at me...

Thanks, Mark. I believe I may have read that thread already because the one person saying the sensors may be in shipping mode (if that's a real thing), I already exhausted that option by changing the batteries. I guess my only recourse is to try front hub mounting and going for a stroll outside to see if it holds a steady signal or cuts out.
  • wesleepuntilthesungoesdown
    Options
    got some last week and have on bike rigged up to turbo trainer - seem to work fine so far
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    got some last week and have on bike rigged up to turbo trainer - seem to work fine so far

See I thought so as well but are you recording both via Garmin and or Zwift? Do you have auto pause enabled and if so, do you notice any quick pause-resume sequencing?
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Just a thought... When you are riding indoors, you do remember to switch off the garmins gps, so it's just using the external sensor for speed/distance data ? I know that if I forget to do so on my Garmin 800 I get all sorts of spurious results from the log file.

• TheBigYin
    Options
    Just a thought... When you are riding indoors, you do remember to switch off the garmins gps, so it's just using the external sensor for speed/distance data ? I know that if I forget to do so on my Garmin 800 I get all sorts of spurious results from the log file.

just looked at the manual for the Garmin 500 - it's under <MENU> GPS / GPSStatus - Select "off" for indoor training. ( page 44 of the manual - http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/Edge_500_OM_EN.pdf )
  • m1xm0d3
    Options

just looked at the manual for the Garmin 500 - it's under <MENU> GPS / GPSStatus - Select "off" for indoor training. ( page 44 of the manual - http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/Edge_500_OM_EN.pdf )

Curious, I've never tried that. I will tonight! Although, when I rode last night I swear it didn't drop once which makes me wonder if it might have anything to do with where my bike was located inside my home (which was only about 2 ft away from the usual location) doubtful but I haven't ruled it out.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    try it - if the Garmin can get a GPS Signal, albeit intermittently, as soon as it gets a lock, it over-rides the figure from the Speed/cadence sensor - and as you're actually stood still, it throws the garmin into pause mode.

My usual training location is just near enough to a window, that the GPS wavers in and out of lock - so I get that problem every time - hence knowing to knock off the GPS before training on the Turbo ;)
  • wesleepuntilthesungoesdown
    Options
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »

See I thought so as well but are you recording both via Garmin and or Zwift? Do you have auto pause enabled and if so, do you notice any quick pause-resume sequencing?

just using zwift at the moment, so no head unit being used at the same time (just ant+ from speed and cadence straight to zwift).

but before zwift I did use it with the Edge 25 with GPS off and it seemed ok (i think pause was set on).
  • m1xm0d3
    edited January 2016
    Options
    try it - if the Garmin can get a GPS Signal, albeit intermittently, as soon as it gets a lock, it over-rides the figure from the Speed/cadence sensor - and as you're actually stood still, it throws the garmin into pause mode.

My usual training location is just near enough to a window, that the GPS wavers in and out of lock - so I get that problem every time - hence knowing to knock off the GPS before training on the Turbo ;)

I sure will. Problem is, this seemed to be just as frequent with my outdoor rides (rear hub) as well, to the point I turned off Auto-Pause because the repeated pause-resume-pause became too annoying. I'll post some feedback later tonight or tomorrow morning.

m1xm0d3 wrote: »

just using zwift at the moment, so no head unit being used at the same time (just ant+ from speed and cadence straight to zwift).

but before zwift I did use it with the Edge 25 with GPS off and it seemed ok (i think pause was set on).

Cool ok. Thanks for the info.
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    Over the past 2 days the speed sensor has been perfect. Not sure why because I haven't changed anything other than the battery 3 days ago where it still gave me problems upon replacement. Still haven't checked it on a ride outside though, nor have I checked the 2nd speed sensor I have on the MTB. Hopefully the relief will continue...
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I almost bought this same sensor kit last week for my "nice" bike, but saw your post and will hold off on it (aha).
  • m1xm0d3
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I rode again tonight. One quick pause-resume on Garmin Edge, no noticeable signal drops on Zwift but I'm usually watching something else... lol so I don't keep a direct eye on the screen every second. My bike is a bit closer to the PC and the USB dongle but that wouldn't explain Garmin and Zwift dropping at exact same times. Fingers crossed...