Meal planning

Options
RunionX4
RunionX4 Posts: 190 Member
Do you all do meal planning? We are just getting started with meal planning. We are a very busy family who is just getting busier. I have a set schedule while my husband (who is a restaurant manager) has different shifts. It's been a challenge to get started with his crazy schedule but we are trying. I am looking into doing more crockpo meals and am looking for some good healthy choices that my whole family will love. I would love any recommendations you ladies have. What are some of your families favorites? I don't want to keep doing the same thing all the time. I do the usual roasts and bbq chicken and such but would love some great new recipes. I've been online looking but would like some real world perspective. Lol

Replies

• kkleen2015
    kkleen2015 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've just recently started meal planning but it is so worth it health wise but financially too- so stick to it! While I don't have a crock pot favorite (yet) one of my favorites is a paleo meat-loaf. It's loaded with extra veggies like shredded carrots, spinach, minced onions, mushrooms- but you don't even notice them. My picky eater, a 16-month old boy who has a love for anything unhealthy- devoured two slices of this!
    I made mine the night before so all I had to do was throw it in the oven when I got home the next day! Good Luck! :)
  • catiepdx
    catiepdx Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I LOVE meal planning. I do two weeks at a time; I pre-cook and freeze meals. We are vegetarian and living frugally so that I can work part-time and be home with my baby girl a few days a week. Here are a few things I think about:
    1. Meals that have similar ingredients so I can buy in bulk from Costco but that aren't too much same (like tamale pie and enchiladas one week and chili the next)
    2. Fast meals that keep easily in the freezer and pantry (our go to meals are frozen stir-fried veggies, tofu, and rice or black beans, sweet potato, and kale) these are things I don't need a recipe to cook
    3. For week day meals, I try to make things that I already know everyone will like and that take less than an hour--anything new and exciting I save for weekends.
    4. I source my recipes usually from one or two cookbooks and websites. Right now I have a new book that I love call "Cheap and Good: Eat well on $4/day" Cheesy title but it's great. I also love all the Everyday Food books, magazine, and website.

I would be happy to share my meal planning with you if you want to see what it looks like!
  • carolerunsalot
    carolerunsalot Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I find most of my meals on pinterest. There is a lot of crock pot meal ideas, unfortunately, not all of them healthy. I have found a few that are great though. My favorite so far is a chicken tortilla soup.
  • getrealmommy30
    getrealmommy30 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I struggle hard with this one too. I'm working to get recipes together in a similar way. One of my favorites right now is spaghetti squash with marinara.

The spaghetti squash cooks in the over for 40 minutes and comes out very spaghetti-like! Just grab some pre-made marinara of choice and meat of choice (ground turkey, beef, meatballs, sausages, etc)

Breakfast for dinner works well also. Eggs, Bacon, Fruit, Toast. Whatever works for your meal plans.

I also always keep a big container of washed greens in the fridge. That way I can just grab some greens, open a can of tuna and throw some dressing on there. Wa-la! Dinner for me. The kids can eat PBJ!

Also good - Some thin cut pork chops and some pork seasoning. Throw some seasoning on. Throw them in a hot frying pan. They are done in like 3 minutes. Combine with baked potato or mashed cauliflower, rice, etc.

• MeOnlyBetter16
    MeOnlyBetter16 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do! I have been using skinnytaste.com recipes and loving it. I usually have 2-3 dinner ideas a week and since it's just me and husband and my picky eater toddler, we can usually stretch 2 dinners out of one recipe. I also find that it's good incentive for portion control to do it that way. Lunches I keep pretty simple. A fun salad half the week and sandwich thins + lunch meat/cheese with a low-cal side the rest of the week.