Hands in pockets?

Options
If it's cold out and I walk with my hands in my pockets, will it still count my steps? Thanks!

Replies

• FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    It should. The only trouble I've had with step counting (Surge) is when pushing a shopping trolley around.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    If it's cold enough, even without pockets, my arms are glued to my sides. I've never noticed any issues with the step count from this.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Okay great, thanks! I just got it yesterday and I've found myself being overly conscious about making sure my arm is swinging!
  • helenbenzie75
    helenbenzie75 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Okay great, thanks! I just got it yesterday and I've found myself being overly conscious about making sure my arm is swinging!

Ditto lol
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Your Fitbit doesn't detect steps from your arm swinging. In fact, it has to filter out that motion in order to see the signal of your foot hitting the ground. As FXOjafar said, pushing things like shopping carts or strollers will cause you to miss steps but holding things, putting hands in pockets, even holding a dog leash, should not be a problem.
  • ook_ga
    ook_ga Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    FXOjafar wrote: »
    It should. The only trouble I've had with step counting (Surge) is when pushing a shopping trolley around.

Same. I spent an hour at the grocery store the other day and barely had anything to show for it D:
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    Your Fitbit doesn't detect steps from your arm swinging. In fact, it has to filter out that motion in order to see the signal of your foot hitting the ground. As FXOjafar said, pushing things like shopping carts or strollers will cause you to miss steps but holding things, putting hands in pockets, even holding a dog leash, should not be a problem.

Ah okay, interesting. That's great because I often like to hold my purse strap or stick my hands in my pockets while walk. Thanks!
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    ook_ga wrote: »

Same. I spent an hour at the grocery store the other day and barely had anything to show for it D:
    When I go to the grocery store, I slip my Surge into my front left side pants pocket. It will count steps that way.
  • ook_ga
    ook_ga Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    GBO323 wrote: »
    ook_ga wrote: »

When I go to the grocery store, I slip my Surge into my front left side pants pocket. It will count steps that way.

Nice! Thanks for the tip!