Fit Bit giving me too many calories?

In the past I've used the MFP calorie calculator to lose 1 lb/week. It gives me 1890 cal/day.

I just got a Fit Bit. It gives me a TON of calories.

For example... at the end of today apparently I've burned 3327 calories! (8673 steps)
MFP set my goal for 2991 calories.

I feel like this is a crazy amount of calories. Has everyone here found that the fitbit counts are accurate. I'm afraid I'll be eating too many calories.

My stats: 29 yr old, 210 lb, 5ft 5 in

Replies

• dujyandco
    dujyandco Posts: 90 Member
    That seems high.... I'd say go with MFP until it settles (on knowing you better) after bouncing around.
    I'm about your size (but not your age), and my calorie allowance thru fitbit (and MFP) is 3423, before the -1000 for 2lbs/week, but I walk over 10 miles a day, at least 26000 steps, usually. Give it a couple of weeks to figure you out. Check the settings for weight loss goal, and activity level, too.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    If you're brand new to Fitbit, it will take a couple weeks for it to understand your movements/calories. That does sound outrageously high. Did you log additional exercise?
  • getrealmommy30
    getrealmommy30 Posts: 28 Member
    I do log exercise through my fitbit. For example: I go to Zumba. I press and hold the button at the beginning and end of the class.

If I put a workout in my fitbit it is automatically logged into my MFP account. I don't go log it again, so its not a duplicate.

I weighed in this morning. I think I will give the fit bit calories a try for three or four days and see what the results are.

Even with the calories set to 1lb/week in the past I've lost weight very fast and struggled with hunger... which can be normal. It's probably wishful thinking, but it would be nice to get more calories and still be able to lose weight.

I'll post my results.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Which Fitbit?
    You failed to mention which of the many devices you use.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,760 Member
    Have you gone over the FAQ in the stickies at the top of this group's home page, there is info on checking accuracy, adjustment of stride length etc. that can effect this.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy#latest
  • getrealmommy30
    I have a Charge HR. I will take a look at the accuracy stuff. I tried to look at it before and it was confusing.. lol.. i might be dumb or maybe I was tired. I'll try again.
  • getrealmommy30
    Well I re-read the post about adjusting my stride. I looked around for when I can adjust my stride in MFP. I don't see it. Maybe it's in the FitBit app?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    yeah it's in the fitbit app. click on the gear icon in top right corner, then go into settings. Your height, weight and stride length are in there.
  • soniaf
    soniaf Posts: 106 Member
    Is your weight in settings correct, including the units (pounds vs kg)?
  • getrealmommy30
    Yes!
  • Christine_72
    Just for comparisons sake. I'm 5"8, F, 43,149lbs and today I've done 22,711 steps or 17.19kms and I've earned 1,073 extra exercise calories on MFP. My usual TDEE is around 2,600
  • getrealmommy30
    Christine - I def think its wrong. I get that kind of extra calories with 10,000 or 12,000 steps (5ft, 5in, 214 lb, 29 yrs old)

I'm starting to think it has to do with all the house work I do. We don't have a dishwasher, so I do a TON of dishes by hand. Last night I got from 9,500 to 10,000 steps... while I was standing in front of the sink doing dishes. Ummm... Don't think thats good.

I think I'm going to un-sync from MFP, try to split the difference between FitBit and MFP calorie recommendations and see if I lose/gain/whatever. I will absolutely still use it for motivation and to track workout calories.

Does anyone know how to un-sync Charge HR from MFP?
  • Christine_72
    edited January 2016
    Christine - I def think its wrong. I get that kind of extra calories with 10,000 or 12,000 steps (5ft, 5in, 214 lb, 29 yrs old)

I'm starting to think it has to do with all the house work I do. We don't have a dishwasher, so I do a TON of dishes by hand. Last night I got from 9,500 to 10,000 steps... while I was standing in front of the sink doing dishes. Ummm... Don't think thats good.

I think I'm going to un-sync from MFP, try to split the difference between FitBit and MFP calorie recommendations and see if I lose/gain/whatever. I will absolutely still use it for motivation and to track workout calories.

Does anyone know how to un-sync Charge HR from MFP?

Man, I'd jump for joy if I only had to do 10,000 steps for those numbers. So yeah, it does sound like a lot..

This is precisely why I don't trust HR monitor devices for everyday activities, or indeed any of the wrist worn ones, as some people get an insane "amount of steps" for moving their arms. I've got the simple fitbit zip and has worked perfectly for me. I don't need the fancy ones, as the only exercise I do is walking.

To unsync, Go into Apps, and into fitbit icon and click disconnect.
  • getrealmommy30
    Thanks! Yea I just disconnected it. I still use it to track exercise calories.. and then I add them to MFP. I normally get less calories from my fitbit than MFP, so I feel like it is more accurate. It is still cool and I still feel pretty motivated even if some steps are from dishes and laundry folding..lol... it may not be a work out, but I'm still working!! Thanks everyone for the ideas and trying to help me out.