KT tape for my ITB

Options
skippygirlsmom
skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
I was looking for some info from anyone with experience using KT tape for an IT Band injury. I'm getting completely fed up with being in so much pain running that I can't. I'm doing the exercises the PT gave me, stretching and working to build strength, but my running went from around 30 miles a week to 5 and it's making me nuts.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Replies

• ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the IT band issues - I had that once and it was brutal. Fortunately, it was quickly resolved by a few days of rest but that's one of the worst pains that I've felt.
    Having been away from running for about a year, I can understand your frustration. Running was (and will be!) a big part of my life and the emotional issues of not running can be significant.
    It's great that you're seeing a PT and I hope that he's explained that ITBS is a symptom of an underlying problem that needs to be resolved.
    I don't know if this will solve your issue but I've found Running Writings to be a superb resource. Once you access the home page, click on "The Injury Series".
    The author provides pretty sound discussion of various soft tissue issues pertaining to running, including ITBS. I've had knee pain that started in the late 70's and was only resolved by strengthening the muscles in my legs, very much along the lines that the author of the site recommends.
    Two years ago, I pushed myself too hard and ended up with no less than three issues in my right calf and right foot! Two of them resolved very quickly by not running but the third issue, Achilles tendonitis, was resolved in a few weeks by following the advice in the article.
    Insofar as using KT tape, though I haven't looked at the research in over a year, my impression is that, at best, it's a short term palliative. I realize that running can be a big part of our life (I've three weeks postop for a new hip and can't wait to start running again!) but, rather than continue to run, which we know is causing damage to your body, you might be better served if you find another exercise until the situation resolves.
    For me, not having run in a year and not being able to run for another 8 weeks ±, I'm going to rebuild my fitness on an elliptical. How about trying that?
    I was fortunate to attend a McMillan running camp a few years ago and one of the many things that stuck with me was when he said "There's no sense being the fittest spectator at the race." Food for thought, eh? :-)
    Hang in there and please let us know how things turn out for you.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @ATT949 thanks for replying. Funny enough the PT put KT tape on my knee after PT yesterday. He said it will help the soreness from the PT itself.

That's for the links I will definitely go out and look at them. He said I can run, but when it hurts I need to stop, I'm up to about 4 miles with no pain (a bit of discomfort but no pain) so I'm slowly on the mend. He said the same thing you did, that I need to work on the cause on not just the symptom so I'm do strengthening exercises for my hips.

Thanks again for replying.
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Does the PT involve strengthening your glutes? My IT band issues seem to have disappeared through working with a personal trainer with a PT background. He has me doing lots of bridges, lunges, step ups, and shuffling in a 20 step box shape with a resistance band around my ankles. Of course there's many more super sets he has me doing since it's an all over body workout. I've been virtually injury and pain free since I started working with him three years ago. I wish you much luck!
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    Thanks @trimom10 yes he has me doing lots of glute work too. Thanks for the information!