All calories added to MFP as calories earned from exercise

Options
This seems like a problem I am sure others have encountered, but I haven't been able to find it posted here or online. Apologies if it's around but I haven't been able to find it.
So, MFP is taking my total calories burned in a day and adding them as exercise calories to my total. For example, while FitBit says I burned 3057 calories in a day and should eat 2600, MFP adds the 3000+ calories on to my base and recommends I eat 5000+. Anyone have any suggestions for settings I can change?

Replies

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused. If Fitbit says you burned 3000 calories in a day and MFP expects you to burn 1500 - based on age, weight, activity level, etc. - then the adjustment you get should be 1500, not 3000. Have you looked at the math that MFP is using (found on the exercise page or in the diary, by drilling down into the adjustment number).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Where exactly are you looking to get those numbers?
    And what is the field name exactly that says that number?
    we'll have to follow you there - screen shot would be great too.

Because the MFP formula shown in some places is more than a little confusing - but your Food Diary page that says how much left to eat is easier sometimes because that's all it shows - left to eat.
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Try setting both Fitbit and MFP to "sedentary".
  • heybales
    Options
    LHWhite903 wrote: »

That only matters if you sync your device with Fitbit account maybe one time a day, at night near end of day.

Also Fitbit Sedentary is barely above BMR, MFP Sedentary is BMR x 1.25.

If you don't sync until end of day - you'd be getting negative adjustment getting bigger and bigger all day - until you sync the device and then have this shock of a likely positive adjustment of some amount.

The suggestion won't have an effect on the described issues sadly.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    LHWhite903 wrote: »

That only matters if you sync your device with Fitbit account maybe one time a day, at night near end of day.

Also Fitbit Sedentary is barely above BMR, MFP Sedentary is BMR x 1.25.

If you don't sync until end of day - you'd be getting negative adjustment getting bigger and bigger all day - until you sync the device and then have this shock of a likely positive adjustment of some amount.

The suggestion won't have an effect on the described issues sadly.

My fitbit is set to sedentary, same as MFP. But I sync all day.. So it doesn't matter if fitbit is set to personalised or sedentary if you use all day sync, right?
  • heybales
    Options
    Correct.

Fitbit reports to MFP a new daily burn when it's 100 cal higher than prior sync.

So for Fitbit Sedentary - that would likely be over 1 hr.
    At Personalized from historic averages - likely be under 1 hr.

Device on it's own used to sync when it was 100 higher to phone - so that may or may not beat those timings based on estimate. Just depends on time of day and what's you've done.
    So you could have 15 min of slightly different data that will be updated when device actually syncs - I doubt it would be noticeable.