Hi! (new to the group)

Options
_nikkiwolf_
_nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
edited January 2016 in Social Groups
Hello fellow runners,

just want to say "Hi" and introduce myself a little after joining this group.

I've been running for a while, though the longest time it was "3 x 30 min per week". In October 2014 suddenly something went 'click' in my head and I started really, really enjoying to run, and started to increase time & distance bit by bit (and hanging out in the monthly running challenges here on MFP ;) ).
Last year I ran two 5ks, but I didn't get hooked on the whole race thing - I figured I'd tried it out, knew what everyone was talking about, and that was that. However, having something to train for would be a nice change this year, so I signed up for a half marathon in May.

I figured I might find some good advice in this group. As well as some people who don't look at me like I'm crazy and ask "why on earth would you want to run 21km, for fun?!" :p

P.S.: I'm on strava too ( https://www.strava.com/athletes/7264526 ), in case someone wants to stalk and/or be stalked there B)

Replies

• STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    "Why on earth would you want to run 21km, for fun?!"

Just kidding! I know the question from several angles. "How far is a marathon? Why would you want to run that far?"

Just like my mountain climbing experience...people think I'm crazy and they are in awe all at the same time.

Welcome to the group. Lots of opinions, usually good advice, and lots of experience.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Why do we run 21km for fun? Because we can and you can't. B)

Welcome to the group.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    "why on earth would you want to run 21km, for fun?!"

Maybe because you don't have the time to train for 42.2 km?

Welcome to the group. I suspect after a while, you'll notice that when you say you're running a half marathon, non-runners have great difficulty hearing the word "half."
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    It's still a few month until I'll know how much fun I'll be having with the 21kms - quite a lot, I suspect ^^

Thanks for the nice welcome, everyone :)