kidney overload

Options
jmzz1
jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
I heard a lot abt low carb medium protein and high fat diet but my question is whether your kidney is under stress ?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    If you are eating in the proper protein range for your body and activity levels, there is no additional kidney stress. Kidney stress comes from eating excess protein, which is what some low carb plans attempt (Atkins leans this way). Many folks who try to do low carb but who are still low fat trained attempt to fill the gap with protein. Protein is not fuel. It is building blocks for your muscles and such. It can be converted to use for fuel, but it's an extremely inefficient process... Only carbs or fat are fuel. To fuel the body properly, when you cut carbs, you need to increase fats, yet we're almost hard-wired at this point to reject that premise.

I've been low carbing it for a year, and I've had kidney tests done before, during, and currently, as well as a ton of other labs for evaluation. Every single health marker measured for me has shown improvement... No stress on my kidney function, etc.

Most folks already eat borderline too much protein for their needs, but especially when folks knee-jerk react away from the idea of high fats, they turn to protein to fill the gaps - which just does not work well. That's where the idea of overtaxing the kidneys comes from.
  • jmzz1
    Options
    So u mean to say we can consume high fat. But I have heard that too much fat is not good for insulin resistance people . I am confused with this point too
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    jmzz1 wrote: »
    So u mean to say we can consume high fat. But I have heard that too much fat is not good for insulin resistance people . I am confused with this point too

Fat is the treatment for insulin resistance, according to my endocrinologist. He's the one who put me on this dietary plan. It is the way for your body to get fuel without needing to trigger a need for insulin, which is part of the who complicated mess for us.

Carbs are what is bad for insulin resistant folks. Basically, your body plays a sick version of Marco Polo. Your body needs fuel. Releases insulin to tell your body to get hungry. You eat. Body searches for insulin to use fuel provided. Can't find it. Gets annoyed. Makes more. Makes us more hungry. Only part of new insulin works on food. We keep eating to fill that hunger.... Lather, rinse, repeat. When we finally stop eating, the body says, "okay, we processed all we could, but there's all this insulin running around, so more food must be coming. It says to store everything (all this extra - which isn't really extra) as fat!"

So it does. So if we eat carbs, we can't process them efficiently, we eat more than we need, and most of it goes straight to being stored as fat on our bodies.

Eating more fats that carbs bypasses most of this insane process...from our bodies being messed up.

What do you understand to be insulin resistance and the way it works in the body?
  • jmzz1
    Options
    I have come across myriad number of post on net which states that too much fat triggers insulin level. And vice versa also were tgey say that high fat diet is good for insulin resistant.

Getting confused with these posts :(
  • jmzz1
    Options
    Got my blood results today and my fasting sugar and insulin level are completely in normal range inspite of me having 150 gms of carb for last few months.

My insulin tested last showed quite high numbers but today's result showed them to be normal.
    Due to nerve issues I have completely stopped exercising for almost a year

Despite all this my insulin level came out to be normal. I am shocked.

No dought I have gained 4kgs and my menstrual cycle has become irregular but my blood reports are normal

Am I doing something right ?
  • TrishV2013
    TrishV2013 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    @jmzz1 - did you have your testosterone checked? I am like you - all of my lab work is normal when it comes to insulin resistance. The only out of whack level I have is testosterone. My doctor suggested that metformin can still help me with this, so with trepidation, I am going to start with a mild dose of it.

In regard to carbs/fat/protein, I recently started carb cycling and have lost five pounds in about two weeks. I feel better too. I eat five meals a day, the first four consist of protein, complex carbs, and some fat. The last meal of the day has no carbs. I do this for four days. Then I do two days of low carb, so just carbs with breakfast. The seventh day is a reset with a caloric increase of about 1000. I feel better and I stay satisfied throughout the day. For carbs, I eat mostly fruit and flourless bread.
  • jmzz1
    Options
    My doc does not suggest me in detail hormone test but my ultrasound shows that I have multiple small cyst in both ovaries.
    And I also have irregular periods and thick facial hair , so I am guessing that my testosterone level are high

As of now he has stopped all my medication since my skin is reacting very badly

I like your diet pattern but wanted to ask whether you increase suddenly ur calories by 1000gms and reduce it the very next day?
    Which macro do you increase when you increase your calories?
  • TrishV2013
    TrishV2013 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    So during regular days I eat approximately 1500 calories per day. On my reset day I eat about 2000-2500 approximately. I increase both protein and complex carbs as bit, as too much fat increase upsets my stomach. On the reset day it is a sudden increase, so you go back to 1500 calories the very next day. I am following the program that Chris and Heidi Powell put together and it seems to be working for me. You can check out Heidi Powell's website here http://heidipowell.net/2713/carb-cycling-101/.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I have come across myriad number of post on net which states that too much fat triggers insulin level. And vice versa also were tgey say that high fat diet is good for insulin resistant.

Getting confused with these posts :(

High PROTEIN can trigger insulin. Protein CAN convert to glucose if too much is consumed.

I've NEVER heard of too much fat triggering insulin.

But some high fat diets are also high on protein (Atkins, etc.). That could the the confusion.

Got my blood results today and my fasting sugar and insulin level are completely in normal range inspite of me having 150 gms of carb for last few months.

My insulin tested last showed quite high numbers but today's result showed them to be normal.
    Due to nerve issues I have completely stopped exercising for almost a year

Despite all this my insulin level came out to be normal. I am shocked.

No dought I have gained 4kgs and my menstrual cycle has become irregular but my blood reports are normal

Am I doing something right ?

And I would ask for numbers, specifically, because someone telling me my numbers are normal means absolutely nothing. If it isn't normal for me, or there are two borderline low or borderline high things, that is very much NOT normal. For example, my fasting insulin level is DOWN from 9.1 uIU/mL to 5.8 uIU/mL... But with the doctor knowing my history, and in conjunction with my other test results, these levels both show me to still be insulin resistant, even though those levels in another person might be interpreted as "normal" but another doctor. Fasting glucose went down from 92 MG/DL to 85 MG/DL...so still more room for improvement, and considered normal...
  • jmzz1
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My fasting insulin came down from 39 to 19
    And my fasting sugar from 95 to 70
    How am I supposed to know whether my body is still insulin resistant?

What other test do you get done?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

Those are good improvements. The way I understand it though is that once your body is insulin resistant it is always wired that way. It may be considered treated, but it is not a "cured" type thing. It's more of a "managed" situation.

What other tests for what specifically? Insulin resistance? There are other flags med professionals look for but I do not know them all.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

Those are good improvements. The way I understand it though is that once your body is insulin resistant it is always wired that way. It may be considered treated, but it is not a "cured" type thing. It's more of a "managed" situation.

What other tests for what specifically? Insulin resistance? There are other flags med professionals look for but I do not know them all.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

C-peptide is the other big test to check insulin resistance. It tests pancreas function, which is an indicator of long term insulin activity. C-peptide is to insulin, what A1C is to glucose (loosely).

Part of the insulin resistance monitoring, like @KnitOrMiss mentioned, is personal reaction to particular levels of insulin and blood sugar. For example, your insulin at 19 is considered on the normal side of the upper border, but is borderline depending on the lab used (the cutoff is 20, according to LabCorp, though OSU allows up to 29). For you, that may or may not be okay. For me, that means zero weight loss and possibly weight gain, because I've found that I need to keep my insulin under about 15 in order to lose weight. That was actually an issue that I kept running into with general doctors -- if I could get them to run insulin at all, they'd only look at the raw number and not at it in conjunction with my other symptoms. So, for a while, my insulin was around 18-19. They'd look at that and say "you're fine," when I really wasn't.

When I finally got in to see an endocrinologist, the C-Peptide test showed that despite the fact that I'd been able to get my insulin down to 13.4, I was, in fact, insulin resistant, and had been for some time. The body can repair a lot of the damage that had been done, but it's generally accepted that once you're insulin resistant, you're that way for life (full Diabetes is the same way), even though you may have it under control. Basically, it means that you won't ever be able to eat the way that caused you to be insulin resistant to begin with, unless you want your insulin to go up again.

Also, I'm with Knit, be sure to get all of the tests and get the numbers from the results. It's entirely possible your weight issues are caused by other hormones out of balance. Low carb should help fix those over time, but it does take time.