Training for 1/2 for Fall & Winter

Options
I am starting in July to begin training I am going to use http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half_marathon.html
Your thoughts for training will be greatly valued. I am able to complete a 8k no problem 15k not so much.

I am a road runner rarely train off road. For me off road is hazardous.

Still looking into the races for the right fit.

Thanks
Patsy

Replies

• PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Oh and what are you eating during training? Low carbs? Clean?
  • Destanie_Robyn
    Destanie_Robyn Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    The training plan looks pretty solid to me! I would definitely do some sort of cross training like biking or swimming on your non training days.. but that's just me. As far as food goes I find that I run the best when I leave out processed sugars the day before my intense runs. I try to stick with light foods like fruits, vegetables, some light carbs and lean protein like chicken or fish. Hope your training goes well!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your training! I do my second half in a weeks time! Cross training is a good way to switch It up if you fancy a change to the routine a bit.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    Options
    Thanks. Just have to dodge the thunderstorms.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Being consistent is the most important aspect of training. You don't have to run fast. Just get out there on a regular basis.

Also, don't go low carb. Runners need carbs. Fill the tank.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    Options
    Being consistent is the most important aspect of training. You don't have to run fast. Just get out there on a regular basis.

Also, don't go low carb. Runners need carbs. Fill the tank.

WOW Thanks for the tip. I was going to start low carb today. I guess I will need to research more for a good diet plan. My DH is Type2 so maybe the diabetes diet will work for me.