What GPS watch/HRM to you use?

Options
lmr9
lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
I have a Polar HRM now, but want to upgrade to one with a GPS so I can track my pace. Which one do you use?

Replies

• librarianjenne
    librarianjenne Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin 305 (with a Wahoo chest strap.) I like it, even though it's gigantic and now I have a tan line from the sweatband I wear underneath it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 610 (GPS?HRM etc) which I really like (I had a 305 that died on me - the big display was great for my old eyes). I still use the Garmin Training Center software that came with my 305 (it's available for download too) for tracking my workouts.

The 610 is sized more like a sports watch (and can be used as such) and has touch screen etc.

I'm contemplating getting either a 310 or 910 so I can also wear it swimming (wannabe triathlete)
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Timex Global Trainer. No complaints at all.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I also have the Garmin Forerunner 610. My husband has a Garmin 310. I have had slightly more satellite related issues with mine that he has with his. I recently did a factory reset and everything is fine. The workouts upload wirelessly and automatically. Both my husband and I really like our Garmins.

They do have the soft chest strap for the HRM. I have seen people post on these forums that the hard strap is better. I have also had problems with the charging terminals needing to have the sweat/salt buildup cleaned off- a problem my husband has not had with his 310
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar HRM now, but want to upgrade to one with a GPS so I can track my pace. Which one do you use?

I'm using the Polar strap as well, but I have the bluetooth sensor that talks to the any number of apps on my phone of which I use GPS tracking, timing, run index, calorie burn, etc. Whatever I'm trying to read for that day.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Garmin 210, wahoo strap, garmin footpod. Workouts are loaded onto garmin connect and sport tracks 3. In a perfect world, I would like the ability to input more complex intervals (ladders, etc), but other than that, this setup works for me. :o)
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I just got the Garmin forerunner 410 with soft strap and I'm really liking it to track my cycling and running. I don't care for the size since I have smaller wrists, but it connects to satellites fairly quickly and the battery lasts for my workouts. If you have really long workouts, the battery may not be enough with this hrm. Oh yeah, it has the bevel touch system, which takes some getting used to, but it also has the ant, which loads workouts directly to pc without wires, which is a nice touch.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I have an ancient Garmin Forerunner 305. I would love to upgrade but it was a gift and they would not (the givers) understand if I traded it in. Oh well...it still works like a charm!!!
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Garmin 910xt. Great watch for multi sport. It is pricey but worth it.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Garmin 610. Love it.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Garmin 310XT. Great for running and biking.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I just got the Garmin forerunner 410 with soft strap and I'm really liking it to track my cycling and running. I don't care for the size since I have smaller wrists, but it connects to satellites fairly quickly and the battery lasts for my workouts. If you have really long workouts, the battery may not be enough with this hrm. Oh yeah, it has the bevel touch system, which takes some getting used to, but it also has the ant, which loads workouts directly to pc without wires, which is a nice touch.

This is what I have too. Generally, mine has been OK - BUT I have had some satellite issues. Sometimes it takes forever to find the satellites - so there I am standing around outside my house at 4:30 in the morning, waiting waiting waiting. Once it finds the satellite, it switches over to the workout clock all zeroed out, waiting for you to start the timer - well, I've had it switch to the workout clock without ever finding the satellites and this is misleading. I start the timer, set off on my run, only to look down around what should be about a mile in to find that it is not tracking my distance or pace. Grrr. This happened to me when I ran my marathon so I have zero split, elevation, etc. data. I've gotten to the point that I always verify that the satellite functionality is working when I set off, but on marathon day with all the excitement, it didn't even occur to me (and it's not like I could get myself out of the sea of starting people to try to get my watch to work anyway).

Other than those complaints - it's been decent. I like all the data, it doesn't bother me when I wear it (well, the actual watch doesn't bother me, I do get some chaffing from the chest strap). The battery life has been lovely for me, no problems there.
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options

This is what I have too. Generally, mine has been OK - BUT I have had some satellite issues. Sometimes it takes forever to find the satellites - so there I am standing around outside my house at 4:30 in the morning, waiting waiting waiting. Once it finds the satellite, it switches over to the workout clock all zeroed out, waiting for you to start the timer - well, I've had it switch to the workout clock without ever finding the satellites and this is misleading. I start the timer, set off on my run, only to look down around what should be about a mile in to find that it is not tracking my distance or pace. Grrr. This happened to me when I ran my marathon so I have zero split, elevation, etc. data. I've gotten to the point that I always verify that the satellite functionality is working when I set off, but on marathon day with all the excitement, it didn't even occur to me (and it's not like I could get myself out of the sea of starting people to try to get my watch to work anyway).

Other than those complaints - it's been decent. I like all the data, it doesn't bother me when I wear it (well, the actual watch doesn't bother me, I do get some chaffing from the chest strap). The battery life has been lovely for me, no problems there.

That's a bummer with the satelite connection taking forever and frustrating when you just want to get out and run, or think that you are tracking your runs:/ How long did you have your 410 before the issues occurred? Maybe you can send it into Garmin and see if they can repair it? My husband has the Garmin 800 edge for cycling and he cracked the glass cover and sent it in for repairs. It wasn't under warranty, but I don't recall it being too costly to repair.
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin 110w. It's pretty basic. I rarely ever use the HRM - I find the chest strap annoying, and my heart rate can get pretty high naturally and it sometimes freaks me out even though I've been to the doctor and I am fine and apparently just have a high heart rate when I workout. The 110w doesnt do anything fancy except distance, pace, time, calories, and heartrate. I wish I had something a little bit more upgraded so I can input interval workouts for speed days, but it gets the job done. Maybe one day I'll upgrade.

I recently bought my boyfriend the very basic Garmin 10 because he didnt want anything expensive, but he really likes the simplicity of it and the size.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Love my Garmin 610. However I was pretty upset when it ran out of battery after 8hours. Looking at the Garmin Fenix. Anyone have any experience with that or the Suunto Ambit?
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Generally, mine has been OK - BUT I have had some satellite issues. Sometimes it takes forever to find the satellites - so there I am standing around outside my house at 4:30 in the morning, waiting waiting waiting.
    When I come downstairs in the morning I put mine out on the porch then go get mt shoes on. Usually by the time I go out the door it is already sync'd.
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone - I really appreciate your comments and insight! After doing research online and checking them out in person, I decided to go with the Garmin Forerunner 10. It's pretty much the most basic model. I was shocked to see how BIG all of these watches are. Also, I've been using a HRM for years now...I think I'm just addicted to seeing that # of calories burned...but after talking it through with my local running store, I decided calories burned wasn't essential for me...and wasn't important enough for me to spend twice as much money to upgrade to a HRM model. I'm not that hard-core into running *yet* that I need all the bells and whistles, so I went with the basic model that does two main things for me: (a) I'll actually wear it since it isn't too big and (b) tracks my pace.

Happy Running! :flowerforyou:
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Nike+ sportwatch...dead on accurate and locks to a satellite almost instantly...wouldn't use anything else....

BUT: Utterly useless for calories ( even with the compatible strap, it dosn't report accurate calories, just an estimate using some sort of algorithm), and useless for cycling etc...it's running dedicated only.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone - I really appreciate your comments and insight! After doing research online and checking them out in person, I decided to go with the Garmin Forerunner 10. It's pretty much the most basic model. I was shocked to see how BIG all of these watches are. Also, I've been using a HRM for years now...I think I'm just addicted to seeing that # of calories burned...but after talking it through with my local running store, I decided calories burned wasn't essential for me...and wasn't important enough for me to spend twice as much money to upgrade to a HRM model. I'm not that hard-core into running *yet* that I need all the bells and whistles, so I went with the basic model that does two main things for me: (a) I'll actually wear it since it isn't too big and (b) tracks my pace.

Happy Running! :flowerforyou:

If you have a smart phone, an app like endomondo/map my run/ runkeeper,nike+ etc would do all of that for free....
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Generally, mine has been OK - BUT I have had some satellite issues. Sometimes it takes forever to find the satellites - so there I am standing around outside my house at 4:30 in the morning, waiting waiting waiting.
    When I come downstairs in the morning I put mine out on the porch then go get mt shoes on. Usually by the time I go out the door it is already sync'd.

I do this too... occasionally it works, but usually I'm still standing around for one or two more songs on my ipod before I can take off. It doesn't sound like much, but 6-8 minutes standing around outside feels like an eternity, especially when I wake up at 4 am as it is and I'm so rushed in the morning to get my run in, showered, ready, get the kids up, get them dressed, fed, etc., all by 7 am. Maybe my garmin can sense my stress and is purposely giving me some quite time, ha! Otherwise I love the watch and I'm sure when the day comes to replace it, I'll still be getting a garmin.