Fermented Food Research

Options
DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
I've spent a lot of time researching fermented foods, probiotics, prebiotics, gut flora, leaky gut, inflammation and its impact on diabetes, weight and health. It is a whole new world out there!

The weirdest part of the whole thing about correcting your gut flora is that there are tons of people and research out there, then when you look at what you have to do to repair your digestive system, its almost all like a low carb/keto diet. Not perfectly, but real close. There are variations just like there is when you get into all Keto variations. Also, when you read about the diets for gut flora repair, the never mention the words low carb, ketogenic, etc. But they are just that. With a minor exception ~ in that they don't count calories, they spend more time correcting the gut flora.

They claim that once the gut flora is corrected, the weight will fall off. This is what I've been looking for.

I think I will keep trying to make it work and I also understand that it takes a while to do it. Keto is just a step, It eliminates a lot of bad food, but it doesn't tell you to eat probiotic food or it also doesn't even discuss why and the mechanisms that the gut flora correction does to you ~ to regain your health. Keto/lo-carb therefor is not adequate. I think that without the final steps by adding probiotic foods, that keto/lo-carb could fail.

Your thoughts and/or questions?

Dan

P.S. I will try to post some of my favorite videos.

Replies

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Would love to hear the results of your research, Dan! My husband has ibs so I often think he could do with new bacteria as well. Thanks for all you do x
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Very interesting topic! I've had friends visit a natural path, and when I watched them go through their protocol, it seemed to be focused on the intestines, taking supplements to enhance the cleansing..and their diet was cutting out the grains and sugars and dairy to start with. I have cut out the grains and sugars for the most part, and now looking at balancing the gut as well
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I have been reading a book that mentions this as well. I do not care for fermented foods at all but will instead look for probiotics. If I were to eat it, I would make my own. I hope it worked for you.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I like some fermented foods, but I seem to have histamine reactions with most. Sadly, I've had to shut down my Kombucha brewing station, etc. I'm taking probiotics, but if anyone has suggestions for affordable effective ones, I'd be glad for it.