Check-In: What's working/not working for you?

FatSwatter
FatSwatter Posts: 175 Member
Hello all,

I thought I'd check in with everyone so see how you're doing. What's working, what's not working? What have you discovered about yourself during this process?

For me, I've realized a few things:
  1. I need a support network! I cannot do this on my own - I've tried and failed miserably.
  2. I need a routine. I've learned that if I don't have a routine that I follow, I'm not as successful because something else comes in the way. If I schedule my workouts and treat them like a doctor's appointment I cannot miss or risk having to pay a cancellation fee, I am more successful.
  3. I am STUBBORN! Oh my goodness, this one is huge! You ever feel like you are your worst enemy who sabotages yourself and tries to blame everyone or everything else (i.e. not enough time/money to be healthy)? I'm the queen of this but you know what, I need to step up to myself and say NO!
  4. I am too hard on myself. I've learned that when I don't follow-thru with what I wanted to do, I am way too hard on myself. Instead of telling myself to move on and make from this moment on what counts, I internally beat myself up. The psychology part of my weight loss journey has been crazy!

Now your turn!

Replies

• MsMarlaJean
    MsMarlaJean Posts: 1,741 Member
    ROUTINE is definitely my key as well! I do excellent when I stick to schedule and menu plans, it's the weekends that are less structured and vacations where everything is all jumbled around and I'm on the move and not actively planning my meals and etc...AHHH!

I'm back from vacation for the next 2 weeks and I'm going to be a bit strict with myself until I leave again on a cruise. Gotta start formulating my plan of attack now so I'll be fully prepared to handle the tough choices while vacationing! I will try and do lots of working out in the gym on board! Also better choices on food...more veggies and protein, less comfort foods!

ANY tips are MORE than Welcome!

@FatSwatter I hear ya on your #3 I used to (and sometimes still do) sabotage myself horrifically. I actually had to not "step up to myself and say NO!" what I had to tell myself was, "I am worth this time/money" and "I deserve to be healthy." Once I quit telling myself in a negative way and started self talk in a more positive light it was like a light bulb went off...not saying that saying "NO!" to yourself isn't going to work for you, but just in case, since you did end with your #4 :wink:
  • FatSwatter
    FatSwatter Posts: 175 Member
    @MsMarlaJean - You may be on to something with your comment "actually had to not "step up to myself and say NO!" what I had to tell myself was, "I am worth this time/money" and "I deserve to be healthy." Yes, I do get stressed out mainly because I put it on myself. I do find the psychological aspect of weight loss to be the most debilitating if negative. Man is it hard to get out of that negative frame of mind, but it's something we all should aim to do when it comes to this journey especially. Thanks for your words of encouragement! I'll have to try this approach instead. :smile:
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    1)Your #1 rings pretty true for me, too. I've got a boyfriend that gets it, so that's been super helpful. I know I'm the one responsible for what I eat, how I exercise, etc, etc, but it's easier to do when my other half wants the same things and my willpower isn't being tested ;)

2) Meal prep is essential to keeping me on track. I started batch cooking & freezing meals back in the fall, and it's drastically reduced the number of times & amount of money I spend on eating out.

3) I'm a data junkie, and I log all sorts of things in a spreadsheet to help keep me on track, including calorie info, exercise I did, how much sleep I got, etc. This helps me see how much weight I should expect to lose, and, in turn, helps me figure out how many extra calories I have if I want to splurge on a treat! I also don't like seeing blank cells, so it helps guarantee I get my exercise in ;)

~Lyssa
  • agreenid
    agreenid Posts: 218 Member
    FatSwatter wrote: »
    @MsMarlaJean - You may be on to something with your comment "actually had to not "step up to myself and say NO!" what I had to tell myself was, "I am worth this time/money" and "I deserve to be healthy." Yes, I do get stressed out mainly because I put it on myself. I do find the psychological aspect of weight loss to be the most debilitating if negative. Man is it hard to get out of that negative frame of mind, but it's something we all should aim to do when it comes to this journey especially. Thanks for your words of encouragement! I'll have to try this approach instead. :smile:

You are absolutely right on this! The psychological aspect has been really weighing on me and YES we are worth the time/money!