Tell me about your home gym

Options

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    on the issue of mats . . . i've x'd one of the local rec centres right off my list because the floor is completely padded. at first i was really impressed since everywhere else is linoleum.

but actually it completely cancels any trouble you go to to find the right shoes. the floor squishes and wobbles so much you're effectively lifting in poofy runners even when you are not.
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have a basement gym, and I am completely in love with it. We've have slowly added stuff over the years once piece at a time. I use the basics that we have-rack, bench, bar, plates, a few kbs and dbs. I recently added in some mobility drills that utilize bands and have been using those, as well as boxes my husband built for box squats.

For hip thrusters, I just use a yoga mat wrapped tightly around the bar.

I agree that mirrors can throw you off. It is better to video yourself and review afterwards or during your rests. If you want mirrors, just turn them around periodically so that you develop a better kinesthetic awareness.

Like Canadian said, you don't want to completely redo your floor with the horse stall mats. One mat is sufficient for DLs. Since you already have carpet in there, you may not even need the mat. I DL on concrete, and have one mat.

I didn't read through everyone's posts, so I apologize if this has already been mentioned. Bumper plates. Definitely get a pair of 15 lb bumper plates. That will set you up at the correct height for DLs and Pendalay Rows until you are up to using 135 (45lb bar, plus 2 45's on either side). They also come in handy during Bench.

Good Luck and post pics when it is done! I love seeing home gyms!
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Another question - what size & weight oly bars do you have?

I have a standard 45lb oly bar.
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Here's a pic of our home gym. It's in a corner of our [massive] bedroom. We've since purchased double the plates and a few other things.

e2iw066lpcqu.jpg
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    @tiffanylacourse I was hoping someone would share pics. Thanks!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    One thing I will mention about my small weight room is I'm the only one using it. With two adults in there it could be tight. I don't have a plate rack so that's on my wish list. It would free up some floor space to get my plates on a rack!
  • DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    sk741ifme26d.jpeg

This is 1/3 of my home gym. My favorite part.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Wow, that's so nice!
  • rlw911
    Options
    @DDHFree Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

@Sumiblue I'll probably be the only one using the room. My DH enjoys going to the gym. He uses the machines, dumbells and the fixed weight bars. The only time I've seen him touch a barbell, is when he spots me on bench press. :smile:

We're going shopping tomorrow, probably just looking, though. There's a couple of places not far from us that sell used and reasonably priced new equipment. I'm excited!
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Have fun! I was looking for plate racks on Craigslist before I went to bed last night.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    DDHFree wrote: »
    sk741ifme26d.jpeg

This is 1/3 of my home gym. My favorite part.

I am so jealous of you right now.... :mrgreen:
  • DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    [quote="bluefish
    I am so jealous of you right now.... :mrgreen: [/quote]

Glad you like it.
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Our shed needs a good clean out, but this is our set up. We are lucky to have lots of space.

uhde0q0ya9a7.jpeg
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Ignore the mess: my garage needs to be cleaned up, but it works for me: (one of our goals for this year when we aren't so busy is clean out all of the crap we don't need/use anymore).
    image_zpsqwmutota.jpeg
  • rlw911
    Options
    Thanks for sharing pictures, ladies!

Hubby bought my plates yesterday!!! I had some picked out, that I found when we went shopping Saturday, but then we saw Academy had a CAP 300lb oly set on sale for $179. Hard to resist that price. :smile:

I've got my rack picked out. I'm almost finished clearing out the room, so I'm hoping to get it Friday. http://shop.fitnessdepot.ca/Iron-Factory-Power-Rack-Single-Bar-P2424.aspx#.Vqi5Z_krLcs

I'm trying to make up my mind on which bench I want. I don't need anything fancy or expensive. I was hoping to find one on craigslist, but most of the ones around here include the racks/stands. Any recommendations?

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Hey Lady! Nice rack!

(uhhhhh, you know what I mean)
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Bumper Plates and Fractional Plates are great suggestions! Second and third these recommendations.
    Best of luck, I remember how exciting setting up the room with new equipment, like Christmas morning.
  • rlw911
    Options
    My bench came yesterday! I spent about 3 days on Amazon, researching and reading reviews, so I hope I made a good choice. My DH got tired of me sending him links to check out and said just buy one, already! Now I get to put it together. The room is almost finished, we just have to get the heavy bunkbed/futon out of there today, then we're going to buy my rack. :smiley:
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Enjoy! Amazon was nice enough to let me know that my bumper plates are waiting on my front porch, hip thrust and bridges tomorrow - YES!!!!
  • rlw911
    Options
    Yay for hip thrusts!

I got my rack all put together! It was trickier than I expected, so I didn't get to the bench or the plate rack. I'll be glad when I get finished, so I can actually work out, lol. Not that my back and legs aren't killing my already.