People Assuming You are Straight

Options
Lisa__Michelle
Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
So, I am currently engaged to my partner of 6 years. It annoys me and is awkward when people assume you are straight. I am a receptionist and I had a lady ask me when I am going to get married "to my husband to be." Just because I am girly, does not make me straight. I wish people would stop assuming. I am just ranting....

Replies

• lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    First of all, Congrats on your engagement!
    Second, this is coming from someone who is for the most part straight (honestly I hate labels). For me personally, I don't really assume one way or another when I meet someone what their orientation is. It's just not up on my list of "have to knows". BUT, I can see it from the other side, too, considering that most people are more interested in the opposite sex, and unfortunately heterosexuality is still considered "mainstream" for the most part. Hope this made sense- I can see how it would be totally annoying and awkward when people just assume your fiancée is a guy.

-Kendra
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Hetrosexual seems to be the default position for most people, I rang a call centre to change my details, we had our civil partnership back in December and I've changed my name- the call centre asked what my husband's name is, it does annyo me.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I get no end of pleasure in the following, which happens with some regularity

Random third party phone call solicitor: "Hello may I speak to Mr. [my husband's last name]."

Me: "He's not in at the moment, may I take a message?"

Them: "May I speak with Mrs. [my husband's last name]?"

Me: "You are."

Them: ....
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My daughter is a girlie, girl lesbian, too. She is also engaged to be married in October. She had the exact same experience just a few days ago but when she informed the older woman that her fiancee is a woman, the woman replied very positively. The world is definitely changing for the better, but it's going to take a little time before people respond with, "Who's the lucky person" vs. "Who's the lucky guy/girl".

When I mention to some people that my daughter is getting married, they often ask about the groom. You'd think I'd be used to it, but it almost always catches me off guard. If I have time and it's appropriate, I often take the time to educate the person about lack of equal rights for same sex couples (I live in Florida). Don't know if I've opened any eyes or changed any opinions, but I think the best thing we can do right now is educate, educate, educate!

Congratulations to you and your intended! You're lucky to have found someone to love and who loves you!
  • sparrow0716
    Options
    I have the same problem, so I usually volunteer the information myself. I bring up the conversation of "girlfriend" first so people know I'm serious and she's more than just a female friend I hang out with sometimes. I also adorn myself and the spaces where I live and work in rainbows or LGBT* pride gear. People usually get the hint that I'm not straight, either that or they just think I'm really supportive, which is good too.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    it's a byproduct of our heteronormative culture. feminine presenting lesbians are in an empowered situation to help break stereotypes of gay women. in the past I've presented more masculinely and never had to elaborate when i mentioned "my partner", but when i present more feminine people are caught off guard when i refer to "my fiance....she...". i like having the opportunity to make people consider their initial reactions and expectations. and if they start to see that what they expect isn't always what is, even better.
  • FunnyBunnyHunny
    FunnyBunnyHunny Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I never really thought about it, but although I am not... I always assume people are straight. It actually surprises me when people are not!

Yes, it completely sucks always having to correct people. But I wouldn't take it personally that it's an automatic assumption.

And congrats on the engagement! Hope you post some pics of the wedding!
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    For some reason, people think my partner and I look alike. We don't see it, but maybe all 50's guys with glasses, white beard and bald all look alike.

In March we were flying through LAX for a weekend in Palm Springs, when this lady about our age approached me as our luggage was coming in on the carousel. She commented on how much we looked alike. Then she asked "is he your twin brother".

"Nope. He's my lover".

I'm not sure if the paramedics got there in time to save her or not.

But we were gone by then anyway.
  • FunnyBunnyHunny
    FunnyBunnyHunny Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    For some reason, people think my partner and I look alike. We don't see it, but maybe all 50's guys with glasses, white beard and bald all look alike.

In March we were flying through LAX for a weekend in Palm Springs, when this lady about our age approached me as our luggage was coming in on the carousel. She commented on how much we looked alike. Then she asked "is he your twin brother".

"Nope. He's my lover".

LOL I hope she's okay! ;)
  • caccicoo
    caccicoo Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I so get this. I identify as pan-sexual. I happen to have married a man but that doesn't make me any less "not straight". The difference for me is that I get this assumption from both sides, gay and straight. So frustrating.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    My mom was shocked when I ended up pregnant. She was convinced that because I wasn't interested in being set up for dates that I was well she thought I was into girls. She was so shocked she forgot to call me a s***. Seriously she did that when my sister got pregnant 9 months later. So anyway that's my sad little family drama.
  • WalkingMermaid_
    WalkingMermaid_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    People always assume I am straight. It's funny to see people's reactions when I mention for example, something along the lines of ..."my ex-girlfriend and I used to go there" - Haha, their awkwardness is so funny to watch!

I don't go out of my way to inform people that I'm bisexual though, so it doesn't bother me that the majority of people think I am straight. But it would be nice if society stopped stereotyping and assuming that feminine women cannot possibly be gay because they don't fit the visual expectations :explode:
  • TattedInStilettos
    TattedInStilettos Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Ppl assume I'm straight all the time... I just go right along with it... until they see me with my gf whenever I have one... I find it funny...
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Well, it's heteronormativity plus feminine lesbians just not "looking lesbian" (ugh stereotypes!). Sometimes, even after saying "my girlfriend" multiple times, people still don't get it until I go "my girlfriend ... as in, my girlfriend, like a boyfriend, only a woman." Lol!
  • Jarice12
    Jarice12 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Ppl assume I'm straight all the time... I just go right along with it... until they see me with my gf whenever I have one... I find it funny...

Yea, I never volunteer the info, but it does agitate me sometimes. And I hate, hate, hate, when people assume I'm a single mom or tell me that I need a husband to do certain things because I don't talk about my gf. I guess it's partly my fault for not sharing, but sometimes I don't feel like getting the shocked or dismayed looks. And, on top of that, I hate people all in my business anyway. Wow...I guess I really needed to get that out lol...
  • admegamo
    admegamo Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I so get this. I identify as pan-sexual. I happen to have married a man but that doesn't make me any less "not straight". The difference for me is that I get this assumption from both sides, gay and straight. So frustrating.

I'm not actually dating anyone but I can see how this is frustrating because I also identify as pan-sexual.

I don't volunteer information unless it comes up. If people are specifically talking to me about dating and/or sexuality I always tell them straight up, "I will be with anyone. As long as we love and are attracted to each other, it shouldn't matter." I do sometimes wonder if it will annoy me if I'm with someone long term and people only identify me based on who I'm with but then I think, "I'm with the person I want to be with so why would sexuality matter other than to keep us attracted to each other. It's not like I'm available anyway."
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    People think i'm straight when i personally think i give off a pretty gay vibe. Men's dress shirts, shoes, ties, suspenders, etc. And yet men still hit on me. Always very interesting. For people if you're slightly attractive you are straight till proven gay.

Now in my wonderland world it's gay till proven straight. Because let's be honest everyone is a little gay ;)
  • nzs110b
    nzs110b Posts: 56 Member
    Options

"Nope. He's my lover".

This happens to my partner and I as well. He is 14 years older than I am, but people always think we are brothers. We usually don't correct them. I think once it would be fun to start making out in front of said person.
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Pisses me off to no end...
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    I usually don't bother correcting them.